Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW EGR cooler recall

Options
1151617181921»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭madonna123

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭GPoint

Serious s##t with burning cars

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

Is this a just a diesel engine problem? whats the story with petrol engines?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭BraveDonut

I had the EGR cooler replaced this week by Frank Keane in Blackrock under recall. They washed and vacuumed and provided a full vehicle check. Very happy with the service, communication, etc. and that the issue is resolved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭GPoint

Hence the recall program.

Got a sticker under the bonnet when car was in garage last time , warning that if cooler level drops to contact bmw immediately. Waiting for appointment to replace the cooler .

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,976 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Got mine done today in Quinns Athlone. Happy with the treatment and car washed and vacuumed for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Got my egr done in Conlans in Limerick, very happy with them, handed the car in clean and got it back cleaner I think. Gave me a little random bag with reusable coffee cups and screen wash too on my way out. They did the airbag recall too.

I watched a 520d burst into flames a few months ago so that got me to actually think about booking it in. Still know a fair few people who haven't gone for it yet so if you know people try to nudge them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭mikeecho

I'm getting mine done in kearys soon.

I'm not expecting any free stuff like cups or screen wash.

All I'll get it extra scratches from the dirty stone infested brush they use to 'wash' cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭adocholiday

Hi all, just came across this thread and I wonder if this is what went wrong in my car. I was overtaking a group of cyclists the other day and the car (181 420d) suddenly lost power when I pushed the accelerator. The ignition cut out and wouldn't start and there were no warnings or lights. I turned the whole lot off completely, let it sit for a few seconds and then was able to restart it. I got it 100m up the road before it cut out again as I pulled into a layby. When I got out of the car I noticed a very strong burning smell but there was no obvious damage and no smoke. The AA man came out about 45 mins later and couldn't find anything but thought the smell might be electrical and said the alternator was very hot, but testing it showed no issues. I drove it home with him following behind and no repeat of the problem. I thought maybe just a strange one off so took the car for a spin and the check engine light came on then with a drive train malfunction message popping up on screen for a few seconds then disappearing. Car is definitely in reduced power mode and gives a strong shake when turned off and the burning smell is still there. Taking it to a local mechanic this morning anyway but wonder might this be the culprit?

• Advertisement
Advertisement