Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Competition Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭thegift06

Having a really bad experience trying to get a prize from a company. Won a years gym membership for a selected chain of gyms back on October 19th. Have been trying to follow up with them since then every 2 weeks but they are ghosting me now. This is a large multinational company that are providing the prize and they are just ignoring my emails. Last email I received was on Jan 10th where they said they would be in touch in the coming days as they were sorting the gym and fees etc. No response from my 2 emails following up since then. Not sure what to do. Sounds like I might have lost this one.

They even posted my second name on their website as a winner and no prize. Is this possibly a breach of GDPR or something along those lines?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,879 ✭✭✭✭muffler

No breach of GDPR I'd think as most if not all these comps have it in their T&Cs that they can use your details for promotional purposes if you are a winner. You obviously have to agree to those terms before entering.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭ZombieMed

No breach since its not your full name or any further detail. Do they have a phone number? I would contact that way next. If you have a name on the email, or a central address that's what I'd look for. After a little time (max 1 week), I'd look at their socials, especially if that's where it was won. Just a simple "hi, I was a winner in October, still not received, with no updates since xx, not a great advert for the company"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭Kittykat67

If u entered the cash machine since Friday u are still in with a chance. Today's amount is €70,739.80

• Registered Users Posts: 39 pippin5

Hi. Did anyone receive their Schweppes cocktail hamper? My husband one a kit and was told it would be delivered by the end of January.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Mundo7976

They said it should be by end of Jan but up to middle of feb

Post edited by Mundo7976 on

• Registered Users Posts: 39 pippin5

Thanks for that. My husband left out the 'middle of February' bit. I will post when it has been delivered.

Does anyone have the qr code or link to win the €500 voucher for Jervis Street. There is a qr code in the center if anyone is in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Anyone got a workaround to entering the Irish Times pet comp if you aren't a subscriber?

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Gangu

It’s a breach of consumer protection law. State that you are considering making a complaint of misleading advertising

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭macguru

I would suggest that it's technically not a breach of consumer protection (as no product or service was purchased), however it may be simple breach of contract as it could be argued that the contract was entered into when they declared you a winner, the terms and conditions are the key here, check what they are exactly as the T&C's may have a consent to publish your name (by entering you consent to......etc.) if you are declared a winner, and also have a clause 'due to circumstances' etc. for being unable to provide the prize in a timely fashion.

If it comes to it, turn up , go to sign up for whatever you won, say nothing until payment is requested, then produce the print out of the competition and a screenshot of you named as a winner (bring ID), I would be confident that a manager will suddenly appear, be firm, but extra polite, if you are being fobbed off, become a little louder, but not angry, and always remain extra polite.

M

I'm wondering is there two companies involved, the one that ran the competition( which will be using a pr company ) and the gym itself might not be involved in the competition. So then they can't just arrive to the gym as it would be up to the company running the comp to be sorting it. I know I've had issues over the years chasing prizes and any times there was long delays it was when there was separate companies involved. Don't give up, I spent over a year chasing a prize once and got it on the end. Eventually I looked for details online for the managing director and amazingly that got it sorted and the prize with me within the week. Other times I have chased for months.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭sue97

Has anyone ever won a womansway or rteguide competition. Never heard anyone mention winning one of these.

I won a handbag with woman's way a few years ago and an ipad from The Rte guide about10 years ago

I won with rteguide twice, years ago. Think you sent a postcard in those days:-)

🤣🤣 Same as that. Think it was a Brendan Grace tape that I won 😂.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,823 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

Yeah I won a make up set with Womansway a few years back and I won a hotel overnight with the RTE Guide.

Pretty sure I've been lucky with the RTE Guide preview cinema screenings and the like.

Another magazine with lots of comps is easyfood magazine and I won a hamper with them a few years ago aswell. I wasn't notified it just arrived at the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,948 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Nice little prize, that I'll probably never use!

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭DontBanMe

I've won twice with Womans Way and once with RTE guide over the years, so all I can say is keep trying :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭ams

Got an email today to say: CONGRATULATIONS!

Although the tournament is over, you’ve gone beyond expected and won an Asahi Super Dry Rugby World Cup 2023 Bottle Opener! 

Dont think I am arsed sending my details - they want a copy of my drivers licence or passport to prove my age which is dodgy as well.

Its obviously to prove u are over 18 since its an alcohol one. But its a bit much just for a bottle opener

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kg703

Won once a couple of years ago with RTE guide. Zero contact just posted out the prize with a handwritten note that took some deciphering to figure out where it came from.

Nada from woman's way and I've been entering!

If anyone is in specifically TESCO WILTON CORK CITY over the weekend there is a competition at food tasting stand to scan a qr code to win a €50 voucher. If any sees the link. It is only in that shop this weekend.

Post edited by Kittykat67 on

Also, kitchenaid hunters. There's an odlums stand with a qr code on it to a kitchenaid comp. Only in tesco. I'll put it up if I'm in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85,551 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I'd screenshot your details on their website and try emailing competition authority standards etc., if such a similar organisation in Ireland, if not then blast them, name and shame over social media and LiveLine with Joe 😁

Advertisement