Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Film forum off topic/random chat thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,914 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

It's an unfortunate set of circumstances that these streaming services have set their model on the idea that most people don't want to see a movie that was made before 1980. Thing is, they're probably right in most cases. I've lost track of how many times I've recommended a good movie to someone and they're never even heard of it because it was made before they were born or it wasn't something that made massive money and has been in constant circulation.

In any case I hope that the likes of Bluray stays around for a long time to come. But I have absolutely no problem torrenting something that I can't get either through a streamer or on physical. There are some films out there that you can only get by hitting the high seas.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,096 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I'm less interested in physical media in terms of owning recent releases and perennial classics (though that has its place, especially for films unavailable digitally), and more in terms of it filling in the gaps that streaming services and past releases haven't haven't. I've said it before, but the sheer breadth of cinema the boutique labels are releasing at the moment is incredible. Radiance Films launched in the last year or so and their selection of titles has been exquisite - almost all really interesting deep cuts, presented with care and thorough context.

If a film isn't available though, I've zero problem with people finding it whatever way they can - plenty of neglected classics and oddities that would be all but unseeable otherwise.

The boutique labels are a godsend, especially if you're into genre movies and trash which you'll never see on any streaming service. Some of their asking prices are eye watering though. Some 4K releases are absolute madness. Luckily I don't give a toss about 4K. 1080p will do me just fine.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,096 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Outside of some of the box sets, Criterion is the only one I find pretty expensive for standard releases. But yeah I’d rarely buy the 4K ones unless the price difference was minor. Even on a good OLED TV I think the gap in quality between 4K and 1080p isn’t game-changing enough to justify paying the prices they often go for - especially for older, non-digital films (there’s certainly a quality boost… just not a total night and day different like DVD to BR). Generally not interested in ‘tat’ either, like posters or postcards or extravagant cases - a disc and a well-written booklet with some nice context / analysis is more than enough for me.

I do appreciate Arrow having their releases on iTunes etc at very cheap prices though - while I’ll still pick up some of their physical releases, I’m also happy to pay four quid for a good quality copy of something I wouldn’t splash out €15-20 for on a disc.

I rip most of my blus anyway, so getting an iTunes copy is fine for me too. But I'm also a bit of a sucker for extras and if there's a film I know I'll be watching a number of times before I snuff it, I'll opt for the Blu ray. Mind you, these days most of the "making of's" that you'll find on physical media end up on YouTube, who don't seem to be too worried about copyright infringement on such material. Also, I find that director's (or whoever) commentaries aren't what they used to be. I think that the last truly entertaining commentary track that I heard was on Arrow's release of 'C.H.U.D'. But yeah, I couldn't give a toss about steelbooks or postcards and any of that junk either and I'm way too old to be sticking posters up on the wall. I don't think the Mrs. would be too happy about that as well. 😄

• Advertisement

Not big into commentaries myself, but always appreciate a film essay or documentary accompanying the film. A lot of the stuff I buy these days would be deep cut Japanese films, and it’s always great to hear a Tom Mes or Tony Rayns type pop up and put the film / filmmakers into context.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I blow hot and cold on Nerdwriter1, but was a really fascinating little dive into the French film industry, and specifically the public entity that effectively bankrolls and promotes French film. The numbers in the video in terms of what the CNC (basically the French film board) takes in as income are insane, especially compared with America's own arts' institutes.

The problem in the US is that there's effectively no unified arts funding for film akin to what you'd get in Europe or pretty much anywhere else in the world. AFAIK (I'm not an expert) there's a limited amount of public funding put fowards the likes of PBS and The National Endowment of the Arts, but that would almost be entirely in the documentary realm. There's some philanthropic and non-profit funding - e.g. the Sundance Institute - but it'd pale in comparison to the rest of the world, and philanthropy is a world away from actual State funding. Hence why there are so many stories of independent filmmakers funding their projects through friends, families and investors - there's not really much support at all outside of the commercial space, although film is hardly the only US creative enterprise that falls victim to this. Indeed, ceding entirely to 'market forces' could be considered the original sin of modern America.

While there are fair criticisms to be levelled at some of the approaches taken elsewhere - in terms of projects funded and distribution - it can't be denied that the art of film is much better supported at a State-level elsewhere in the world: Ireland and the UK included, and perhaps France's rich cinematic history is the classic example of cinema as art as opposed to commercial enterprise (though France is certainly not exempt to mainstream industry, and there are very good reasons why many of the most commercially successful films from there don't go beyond their borders). The EU also has had a vital role to play in funding the full variety of European cinema.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭p to the e

Gina Carano is suing LucasFilm and Disney after having been fired over Twitter comments. And to make things even spicier, it's being funded by everyone's favourite real life Bond Villain, Elon Musk. I wonder will the mouse house settle to avoid any publicity.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2024/feb/06/gina-carano-sues-disney-mandalorian

• Registered Users Posts: 30,850 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

They might not mind the publicity in that case, since they were on the good side of public opinion.

Hard to see she’ll have much of a case though… having hateful opinions about gay/trans people and believing conspiracies about covid and election fraud is one thing, but intentionally broadcasting those things on the largest platform they have to the direct detriment of their employer/show is another - and then refusing to engage in any of the bits of education/information the company provided as well. I’d guess the Disney lawyers have their contractual language fairly tight.

(And of course it’s never been rare for unpopular people and characters - as she caused herself to be - to get written off.)

Interesting one to keep an eye on though!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

If Carano won, it'd also open the door to every aggrieved actor who felt their personal opinions - or indeed personal life - caused their removal from a given production. That'd be a huge can of worms and potential nightmare for Hollywood; sure it only recently happened with Melissa Barrera and her own social media posts.

We'll see how much money Musk is willing to throw at it. Seems he's mimicking his old "friend" Peter Thiel's tactic who went after Gawker via Hulk Hogan.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,654 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Hasn't Musk also promised to pay the legal fees of anyone who wishes to challenge the hate speech legislation here in Ireland? He sure loves free speech, except when it's criticizing him.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,299 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Speaking of Disney, they announced 'Moana 2' yesterday. This wouldn't be particularly noteworthy, except a) it was conceived as a TV show before being repurposed into a film and b) it's out in November, which is very late for a big-name Disney sequel to be announced.

I'm very curious about whether its TV origins are obvious, and whether it has been hastily repurposed as a theatrical 'sure thing' after a disastrous box office year for Disney. Of course, there's every possibility the TV show was a well-considered follow-up in the first place, just seems like quite an abrupt conversion.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Interesting too that it's coming out the same day as Wicked Pt1.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I mean you only have to look at his Twitter purchase to see how well-considered and intricately laid that clown's plans are. He's essentially a bellwether for poor choices ir decisions at this point 😁

(I'd also say Disney is a different beast to Gawker in terms of how deep their pockets are, whether in terms of finance or influence. Look how well trying to go against them in Florida worked out for Ron DeSantis...)

Isn't there supposed to be a live action Moana film coming out with the Rock. Maybe they're trying to rush it out before that.

Remember when Warner Bros backtracked on their decision to bin Coyote vs Acme for a tax write-down, after an outpouring of outrage?

Well The Wrap reports that, despite interest from other distributors, Warner Bros looks like they're probably going to bin the film anyway as they demanded an unreasonable amount of money for it and refused counter-offers.

Zazlav is a cartoonish villain of a CEO who reportedly never even watched the film.

Just an unspeakably grim state of affairs from a farcically cynical studio.

75 to 80 million? Netflix have dropped much more on much less, so I wonder how much truth there is in what WB were supposedly asking for.

At least Zaslav didn't cancel Dune chapter 2, though this nonsense makes me think they'll axe a third part unless it makes Megabucks.

• Advertisement

Dare I suggest losing David Leitch as a director is actually good news for the film? 😅

Chad Stahelski does appear to be proving the more talented of John Wicks's two directors; still chortle that a John Wick movie had a naked copy of a Lawrence of Arabia scene change.

As to Jurassic World/Park? I mean, like Aquaman 1 they have been billion dollar movies nobody either especially likes or remembers. I still think Fallen Kingdom had the most potential when it had the nerve to lean into more gonzo, B Movies territory. It was the closest I came to having fun with these trainwrecks

Possibly, but let's be honest, they're not going to be ditching him for some auteur!

Oh don’t get me wrong: zero hope in the film being good or interesting, as the franchise is spent (and has been for roughly five films now). But Leitch’s post-Wick films have been hacky as all hell, while the Wick films themselves only grew in confidence and ambition when he stepped back from them. So no big loss to any project IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

its not really about tax write downs, they spent 75m? to make it and they cant sell it to anyone for that price or more (compare to the Argylle movie sold to Apple for a huge profit), the market thinks its not worth the price to release in the cinema because they would have to spend another ~40m to market it, the breakeven cinema box office would need to be 250m. The makers have no incentive to sell it fire-sale so someone else makes money out of it.

If netflix or moneybags Apple bought it for 80m to stream it, everyone would be "happy" but even Apple could figure its just peeing money down the drain

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Did you read the article? It's all addressed right there:

Netflix, Amazon and Paramount screened the movie (which was received well) and submitted handsome offers. Paramount even proposed a theatrical release component to their acquisition of “Coyote vs. Acme” that would allow for Warner Bros. to save face and, more importantly, let audiences see the movie the way it was meant to be experienced.

Warner Bros. did not respond to requests for comment from TheWrap.

But Warner Bros., which stood to make $35 – $40 million on the tax write-down, wanted something in the ballpark of $75 – $80 million from a buyer. And what’s more, they wouldn’t allow the interested studios to counter Warner Bros.’ offer. It was a “take it or leave it” situation, one that the other studios didn’t even know they were entering into, insiders told TheWrap.

The only reason for Warner Bros. to not release it in some form or sell it for under the production cost and claw some money back is if some sort of tax code bullshit means they make more money from binning it. Which makes no logical sense and is total late-capitalist dystopian bullshit in its most cynical form. At the very least, legislators should be rushing to close any such tax loop hole immediately. If it's not illegal under competition law already, there's a damn good argument that it should be.

And to be honest, whether they ever were realistic about wanting to sell it or just did a half-arsed or disingenuous attempt as a bid to quell mounting filmmaker and public disquiet about it is another question entirely.

Regardless of the financials, anyone even remotely interested in film as a medium should be utterly repulsed at the prospect that a completed film is never going to see the light of day - doubly so when the film has, by all reporting, been as warmly received by test audiences as this one has. I don't give a single **** about Warner Bros' financial sheet: they let people make a film, those people made a (reportedly) good one, and the bare minimum expectation is that film should be released in some form for the public to be able to watch it.

Matt Zoller Seitz puts it bluntly but entirely correctly in this article: https://www.rogerebert.com/mzs/coyote-vs-acme-canceled

Whatever the technical legality of writing off completed films and destroying them for pennies on the dollar, it’s morally reprehensible: Oller memorably calls it “an accounting assassination.” Defending it on grounds that it’s not illegal is bootlicking. 

Post edited by johnny_ultimate on

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I had read the Verge article about this article, you have to appreciate the irony , just like Wile E Coyote spending all that money to catch the roadrunner to eat, he would have been better spending the money he paid to Acme on food ;-) . The main point is no one has offered them their break-even price, and to release it in the cinema would cost 10s of millions more (good money after bad) also I saw the description of "nearly completed film" so that would mean more money, how much?. There was no hype about this film as it was being made so you just have to assume they thought it would have been a commercial flop. At the end of the day its still their property so they could always do something with it down the road, its not like the IRS make them burn the originals.

Also you are assuming all the reporting is perfect. I'd assume there is commercially sensitive information and people reporting on it are filling in gaps or making up stuff where it suits. What I think Warner are unwilling to do is to sell to a competitor "for pennies on the dollar" , its got nothing to do with late stage capitalism, more about the party is over and the tide is going out.

https://www.theverge.com/2024/2/9/24067496/coyote-vs-acme-amazon-netflix-paramount-rejected-offers-theatrical

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

What hype were you expecting? Many films don’t have much or any public awareness until the first trailer drops, or until after the first round of festival screenings. Many films are word of mouth hits after release, even.

Warner Bros isn’t breaking even by not releasing the film, either. Even in Hollywood you can’t wave away $70m as non-existent spending. Better for 99.999999% of the planet that the film gets released, and Warner Bros would still claw back 50-odd percent of the money spent on the film at a minimum. Maybe more, given they apparently rejected any efforts at counter-offers. Several industry publications report the Paramount offer included a theatrical release.

Plus, there’s more at stake here than the cost of this film alone. If Warners alienate filmmakers like this, they’ll attract fewer and fewer to make films for them. This is a studio that already torched a lucrative partnership with Christopher Nolan for short term gains. Phil Lord - who made Warners millions with his work on the likes of the Lego Movie - is one of the high profile creatives publicly criticising Warners for this.

This is a film written by the screenwriter whose debut feature (May December) was almost certainly IMO the best script of its release year. The idea that her next work will never be seen due to some Hollywood accounting nonsense is a travesty, and I genuinely am at a loss as to why anybody would try to defend Warner Bros’ actions here.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Seems a kind of dumb negotiating tactic to use, demanding twice as much as you were willing to write the film off for.

Advertisement