Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Journalism and Cycling 2: the difficult second album

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,526 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Is anybody actually reading what Eamon Ryan said.

The headline says - Cycling will become the most common way to travel in Ireland.

He doesnt anywhere say either that it will become the most common way to travel, or that that he is referring to the whole of Ireland.

He makes it clear he is talking about Dublin and other cities. And he says that cycling should become one of the mainstream forms of travel. Like - if he didnt think that when every other city in europe is going that way, then wtf would he be doing as minister for transport.

Where exactly is he deluded?

TBH- this eamon ryan is ruining the country shtick that I see over and over and over - its become a bit of meme, a truism - FFS there is fifty thousand post boards thread on how Green policies are ruining the country - but I dont see a problem with anything that he actually said here....

Could you please clarify which part of his commentary is 'deluded'; if you are so emphatic about it actually being 'deluded'.

Also - you are extrapolating from your own experience to ;everybody' - is your commute within a large city? 14km commute within a city? If its not then its got nothing to do with what Ryan is saying.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I commute 17km in rural location, takes about 40 minutes. A car is 20 minutes at that time. These are real world figures. When I get to Dublin and commute for 7km (outside the really heavy traffic area), it is about 20minutes. In a car, it is 20 minutes in the summer and 40 minutes during school time. Not a hope anyone in Dublin is doing 56kmph on average inside the city centre at anytime of the year, except in the dead of night and with liberal non obeyance of traffic lights.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

The greens are ruining this country is a phenomenal thread for those who want to see how truly lacking in understanding about how our country functions many people are. Most of the things that are given out about were decided years ago by FF or FG, the same way you will hear someone giving out about FG for policies that FF enacted and vice versa, followed by local issues that are following planning regulations or local council direction. The greens ceertainly don't wield as much power as they could considering they prop up the government and will suffer for it everytime something goes wrong.

Its a good point - I think everyone of their TDs was voted out in 2011 after the financial crisis; their vote was hit much worse than Fianna Fails even though they had F-all to do with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

They changed things that were a lot easier to change, and you could change only some of them here so you wont get the same uptake.

They live in higher density of housing, thats not changing here. They dont have geographical issues like here. They have vast rail and public transport networks unlike us.

• Advertisement

Early start. Late finish. No traffic on the roads during each journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,947 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Well you're not "most people" then. By definition, "rush hour" is when most people commute.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

OK you still seem to be saying two contradictory things at once: that it doesn't make sense for you to cycle because of the lack of safety and infrastructure (this is most people's complaint, it's a very reasonable complaint). As I understand it, the entire thrust of the argument that Eamon Ryan and his ilk are making is that we must invest in dedicated cycle infrastructure, but you're saying that he's deluded for that.

I'm not sure what point you're making about the child sharing the escooter with the adult, but very few children drive the car to school right now. And providing them with dedicated infrastructure could increase the chances of not needing an adult on the trip.

I genuinely don't understand what you're saying here. You appear to be describing scenarios which would be absolutely textbook candidates to benefit from dedicated cycle infrastructure. What would you think could be a proposed alternative? We have a growing population, we have cars getting incrementally bigger. I honestly don't think you've thought this through: small space, big vehicles, not going to fit more...need a solution....

Eamon Ryan does a poor job of communicating for sure, but I am absolutely confident that since the vast majority of journeys made by the vast majority of people are under 5km, that they are suitable for bikes. It's very much a question of making them safer and giving them the infrastructure. And obviously more mass transit too, without question.

Just to say, I don't know if cycling will ever have the dominant mode share: that seems like another Eamon Ryan bad communication, going by the statistics, but also I don't see why we shouldn't aspire to tripling cycling mode share to around 20% in Dublin for instance. I am willing to bet that Cork will triple its cycle mode share by the next census, if it does all the projects currently in planning.

So, dominant mode share, maybe not. But getting school children out of cars would appear to be the key to unlocking the whole thing. And that won't happen without infrastructure.

• Advertisement

Im saying hes deluded for thinking he can change the country to a situation where most journeys can be by bike.

He can make some changes and improve some things but even in my situation (which has a lot going for it) to ditch the car for the most frequent journeys i make it isnt possible, and its not possible because of things that he cannot change.

There are people coming from situations that are far less appealing for transferring from car to bike that will never be able to make that change, and I dont see any evidence that he understands this.

In many areas infrastructural investment or not getting school kids out of cars and onto bikes will never happen because of distance, roads, hills etc.

Most kids who take a bus to school will not drop that for a bike due to distance and kids that walk to school dont need it either, so you have a quantity of people living somewhere in the middle of those two distances that MIGHT switch to cycling and then you still have bad weather for many months of the school year with Ice, Rain and wind making it dangerous from november to february / march.

Its pie in the sky stuff to think large swathes of schoolkids will ever switch to cycling as a viable option.

some people need to get real about how much can actually be changed.

Again - where does he say he can change the country to a situation where most journeys can be done by bike.

Where does he say cycling will be the dominant mode share?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,171 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

That thread (and some posts in this thread) and similar threads across other social media is both hilarious and scary as to the ignorance of how our electoral system works and how little understanding people have of local, country and EU policies.

There's plenty of clowns who think anything what could be deemed green related will end immediately when/if the greens are not in government.

Lets break this article down:

Eamon Ryan says cycling will become most common way to travel in Ireland | Independent.ie

Headline: Eamon Ryan says cycling will become most common way to travel in Ireland

First sentence: Transport Minister Eamon Ryan said that Dublin will be similar to cities like Paris or London, where cycling becomes one of the most common ways to travel.

Second sentence: ......adding that every city and town across the country will see cycling and walking become the “mainstream form” of transport.

Actual quote: "I am convinced that Dublin, just like Paris or London, is going to switch to cycling. Not just Dublin, but Cork, Waterford, Limerick, Galway and every town around the country. We are very close to that point."

Actual quote: "We will see a tipping point where there is massive change in cycling and walking as a mainstream form of transport for our city"

Things the article claims he said, but didnt actually say:

Cycling will become the most common way to travel in Irelabd.

Every town and city will see cycing and walking become the mainstream form of transport.

Other fact check might be necessary on this sentence: A total of one billion euro of investment has seen more than 600km of cycling, walking and wheeling infrastructure built since 2020.

No way has 1bn been spent on cycling/ walking infrastrucure.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

I agree that it doesn't even seem like €100 million has been spent never mind €1 billion! Especially when even in Dublin city there's no joined up protected/segregated cycle routes into the city centre..

Although this article goes a way to explain all the costs involved: https://irishcycle.com/2023/04/10/whats-the-typical-cost-of-walking-and-cycling-infrastructure/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

The modal share in Dublin city centre isn't far off 20% right now.

Yeah, he doesn't say anything all that outlandish. Cycling suits cities, it's often very practical, cheap and fast, and quite a few cities in Ireland can see a lot more cycling. Dublin is already positioned quite high up the European capitals table for modal share of cycling. The state average is a lot lower, and conflating Irish urban areas with "Ireland" they're considerably distorting what he said.

Yes but what about the way the journalist completely twists what he says......

And they way people assume that he said it.

• Advertisement

Its a tricky one.

Normally when the govt has said XYZ has been spent, they get praised for it.

But in the case of cycle lanes they get hammered for it.

Moreover as journalists routinely exaggerate the amount.

Would be great to see Dublin CC spell out what specifically has been spent on cycle lanes.

As opposed to XXX has been spent on a really big project that includes major water work realignments, and of which only a portion is cycle lane - but we'll call the whole thing cycle lanes.....

People should read the article really. Thing is, newspapers know that a lot, maybe most people, don't read the actual article, even the first paragraph, so even the headline is probably deliberately trying to get people to be angry at ER and propagate it through social media.

But even if you read the article - what the journalist says directly contradicts what he actually says - in the quotes in the article.

Yes, I get that journalists want to get clicks, but this is so brazen.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,658 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

• Registered Users Posts: 28,658 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Density certainly is changing here. Not fast enough, but it absolutely is changing and will continue to increase. Rail and public transport are all improving, slower that we'd like, but improving anyway.

Cycling can and will continue to improve, if we start seriously prioritising it.

Possibly by the cordon count maybe? Not by the 2022 CSO numbers though yet. Unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Paddigol

More "consultation", "public engagement", "serious concerns", "sky will fall in" nonsense.

Businesses raise 'serious concerns' about plans to divert through traffic away from Dublin city centre (msn.com)

As Ryan correctly states "Every single time we’ve come to a decision, going right back to when we pedestrianised Grafton Street or Henry Street … and on every occasion you hear people say, ‘This is disastrous, it’s not going to work’.".

Should call the lobbyists bluff and propose reopening Grafton Street and Temple Bar to multi lane traffic.

Demands for consultation is really code for "I want to go to a meeting so I can shake my fist at the clouds".

The headline literally reads "Eamon Ryan says cycling will become most common way to travel in Ireland". I shouldn't need to read the entire content of the article to find out that Eamon Ryan didn't say that. And even if that was the case, it should clarify that he did not say it at all.

I mean I'm very glad you copied and pasted the article because I had absolutely no intention of clicking on a link to the Independent. That's not a criticism of you, rather it's a criticism of them. But is this where the supposed broadsheets are now, that they feel they can attribute false statements to people and get away with it?

It seems it's literally at the point where they're writing headlines like "man denies battering wife".

There's two things at play here: one is whether Ryan believes cycling can become the dominant mode. It seems he didn't say that whatsoever. So you and I can park that one.

The other thing is whether it's pie in the sky to think large swathes of kids will switch to cycling. I don't see why that's outlandish at all.

A kid a few doors down from me drives to school 1.5km away. It's a 1km walk or a 1.5km drive. She drives it because it's convenient and easy and parking is free. On the same road she drives there is no cycle infrastructure and traffic is generally gridlocked in the morning. It's literally faster to walk than to drive. And when she gets there she must walk to the school from where she parks a few hundred metres away. It's absurd. In this scenario, I don't see why we wouldn't aspire to making obvious changes.

Bad weather is a not a significant deterrent even though it's frequently quoted. That's a topic for a different thread. The biggest reasons people don't cycle are the volumes of cars, lack of dedicated infrastructure, not feeling safe, distance to destination and because it's easy to drive. All of those except "distance" are very easy to resolve.

• Advertisement

My kids all cycle to school. I wont lie - for the most part the infrastructure is the footpath.

Advertisement