Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eating Out becoming a Luxury?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

Everything is marked up in a restaurant. That's the whole point. Lots of places do BYOB anyway.

You could buy frozen chips from a supermarket for €2.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,967 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

It's the amount it's marked up that's the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Quitelife

The percentage of the population who can afford it is shrinking though which will definitely reduce the amount of restaurants that stay open

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Juran

Even if you can afford it, its about value for money.

I like to eat out or get take away for food I would not cook at home, eg. Duck or calamari. Abroad I go for fresh fish or seafood in Spain, Poetugal and the states.

A pasta dish for example is such poor value when you order it out, pasta bit of cream or tomatoe sauce costs less than €1 to make and an Italian resturant will charge €18 or for it or €16 in a bar. While a steak & sides & chips will cost at least €6, and you'll pay €18 in a resturant and maybe €16 in a bar.

Same with airports. I am not tight or frugal and earn a high wage, but I much prefer to bring my brown bread homemade sandwich with me instead of crappy processed over priced sandwiches at Dublin airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭downtheroad

And watch prices not reduce in line with the reduction, same as last time. The VAT goes back up, and prices increase.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

I agree.

I normally go for fish though or something complex or something new.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,699 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

With population increase that could still mean more people eating out. And spending more money. That seems to be the case so far, although 2024 could see a downturn. Especially if a labour shortage results in place closing. Later in this report, it says that the money spent does not include alcohol.

"Wednesday 15th November 2023: Findings from Bord Bia’s annual Foodservice Market Insights report released today, show that the Irish ‘out of home’ sector was up nearly 13% this year to a new record high of €9.3 billion across both the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland. This is the first time that the market value has exceeded pre-pandemic levels, and this growth has been achieved amidst a surge of challenges over the last four years, although industry growth has slowed from the significant increases seen in 2022. Forecasts for 2024 indicate that a rebalancing of consumer demand following a post-pandemic surge, along with increasing economic uncertainty, will result in a more discerning occasion-led approach to dining out of home."

Disposable income in Ireland is very high, and discretionary spending is a feature of many housholds. Including purchases due to Psychological Obsolescence. If a family gets a new high end phone and bigger television, that is a choice which will leave less money for dining out.

"Psychological obsolescence means an early ageing of products due to fashion trends, new technical trends and consumption patterns. It can result in the purchase of a new device even if the previous one is still operating without any problems."

• Registered Users Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

There is a huge cultural difference between Ireland and Europe that causes huge differences in price. In Europe many restaurants are open longer hours and have trade all day or at least a large lunch crowd. The volume of sales means they can sell cheaper as their overhead per customer is lower. In Ireland most restaurants only open in the evenings so overhead is much more expensive along with paying more for ingredients as they don't buy in volume.

Try buying a pint in Paris and you will see how expensive it is. The same economics are at play as with Ireland and food.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Don't buy it then.

A cup of tea could set you back €2.50 and it's literally a 4c tea bag and a drop of milk.

There's lots of items that are sold at near cost, while others have exorbitant markup.

Don't buy it then.

When you're eating out with other people that isn't always an option. 😉

• Advertisement

Well, it's not the restaurant taking the option away from you.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,131 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Why are you eating out with other people? Because its a social activity? Because its work related? In either case its an expense of the activity. You would not take up golf if you were not prepared to pay the green fees and buy the equipment and clothing required - which would come to a lot more than a month or even a year's eating out expenses.

You have a choice, you can stay at home and cook your own meals and watch free to air television or read library books. Or you can accept that there are expenses to your lifestyle choices and pay them without fretting about it. If you can't afford it then, for now at any rate, you have to go down the staying at home route. If you have disposable income you decide does eating out give you more satisfaction than, say, buying rock climbing equipment or having the top range Sky package.

Trying to have it both ways, go out for meals but fretting and grousing about it is not doing you any favours at all.

Only you can decide whether you consider a basic pub carvery which will fill you up and provide nourishment is preferable to a 'fancy' restaurant where you get more sophisticated cooking and an ambiance that makes you feel good. Or you stay home and do your own cooking. In neither case is a business going to provide a decent meal at home cook prices - though when you take everything into account the carvery could come close. Your choice, eating out is not mandatory.

eating out is not mandatory.

Who the fuck said it was?

Stop whining (wining LOL) about the expected markup of wine. It's expected that wine is expensive in a restaurant, you could have checked the menu beforehand and no one is forcing you to buy it.

Choose a restaurant that allows you to BYOB next time.

No one is forcing you to buy it.

Absolutely NOBODY has said such a thing.

Go away the pair of ye. 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭bureau2009

Er.....E3.50 is more like it. I see Costa have put up their prices TWICE in recent times - and they're not the only ones.

Fair enough, you're having a moan for the sake of it.

I remember people nicknamed 3FE as "3 F*cking Euro", for how expensive their coffee was. That would be cheap now.

Yet people still pay it.

No. I'm complaining about recent price hikes and the decreasing value for money in goods and services in this country.

Read the bloody thread, instead of trying gaslight people and put words in their mouths.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Juran

Last weekend, Thai take away for 3 people - that was 3 starters plus 3 mains came to €80.

It was €50 a couple of years ago for the same order.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭esker72

No matter how good the food, that seems excessive. In my head, a main course from Chinese/Thai should be about 12-14 euro and a starter 5-7 euro so the range you'd expect to be 17-21 per head so between 50 and say 65 euro. It's food in a plastic container for 80 euro, it shouldn't be that expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,170 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Went to a restaurant for Sunday lunch recently- very well established been around 25+ years. It was never a cheap restaurant but food quality very good- hadn’t been there in years.

I had a great meal but here’s what I noticed:

• starter portions very small- lovely but very small
    • main courses- firstly like many restaurants, beef is just ridiculous price- 40+ euro for a standard steak- I had a chicken dish at about 26 euro - I’d never normally order chicken in a good restaurant but I didn’t want fish that day which was the alternative or I think it was lamb which again was off the scale in terms of price - nothing came with the meal, everything was extra - fish portions were small - saying that I didn’t need a desert but I wasn’t overly hungry to start with

This restaurant has survived the big recession so it’s doing something right- but in some ways it’s depressing to eat out - similar experience in another “good” restaurant last month - portion sizes greatly reduced. You do feel hard done by- I know that there used to be a lot of waste in restaurant food- tons of veg and potatoes served which you couldn’t possible eat all so a lot would have been dumped - but I’m probably not liking the alternative much either- very expensive dishes where everything like potatoes veg etc is an extra

• Registered Users Posts: 5,170 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Thai was always expensive compared to say Chinese - It depends on just how good the Thai restaurant is but on the rare occasion I’ve had Thai takeaway in the past it’s been from a very good restaurant (name escapes me) and prices were close to 80 for 3 - maybe 75 -

It’s the Chinese meals that have really shot up (and this is from a takeaway that “doesn’t do cards”!- so you can just imagine what their profits are like as a cash only business- two chicken chow mein -EUR 20.80 - not duck, not beef- chicken - only a few years ago this dish was about eur7.50 - one of the cheapest on the menu .

I guess it shouldn’t really be a surprise to us- costs of things to produce food - energy meat etc- have sky rocketed - so I guess we have to pay at some time

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭combat14

had two burgers and two drinks last night for 70 euro including modest tip

there was no starters, dessert or coffee

eating out is now bananas in dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭BraveDonut

More or less the same last night for Valentine's

2 'Angus' Fillet steaks €9.99

'Skin-on' fries done in the air fryer

Delicious bottle of Rioja €8.95

Not that we would EVER go out on Valentine's night - the worst night of the year to go out.

But we've been married for over 20 years and long ago agreed that Valentine's is a load of bollocks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Wouldn't dine out too often, but spent €150 last night for one starter, two mains, two drinks, and one dessert.

I've kinda come to expect to pay €45/50 for a nice steak in nice restaurant, but I dunno where they get off charging €6 for a small glass of beer. It's like if one thing is expensive, all things have to be expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

When I worked in resturants, it was clear that valentines night was lower quality and higher prices than an ordinary night. Set menu instead of à la carte, 2 sittings so you couldn’t linger and take your time. Plus the staff were run off their feet so we made more mistakes than normal.

I'd never go put for valentines. The weekends either side were usually quieter though so much better to go then instead.

• Advertisement
Advertisement