Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eating Out becoming a Luxury?

Options
  • 19-01-2024 11:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭

I’d class myself as middle income but with each passing year just paying the essentials like mortgage , clothing & educating children and putting food on the table , paying energy bills I have less and less left for anything else .

7 years I gave up smoking because I couldn’t afford it any more , during covid I gave up my twice a week visit to pub and haven’t drank since , myself and my wife used go out for a meal once a fortnight up to last year when we could back to once a month and now this year we have decided to give up going out altogether due to lack of funds , both of us work .

Passing pubs and restaurants I feel we’re not alone in having no disposable income , in Dublin there is a share of high earners and tourists which camouflage the Irish middle class disappearing due to lack of funds but many towns are an awful lot quieter than they were in the past ???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

I had higher expectations when I saw the title

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭SharkMX

Went to the chippers about 6 months ago (used to go twice a week instead of cooking dinner) and the price was already high, but that night it had gone up again to €13 for a cod and chips plus €8 for a kebab plus €8 for a snack box.

€4 for a "large" (dont know what their definition of large was, it wasnt much bigger than a small one) bag of chips. and €1.80 for cans.

To feed 3 of us with chipper food that night it cost €35. and I left the drinks behind and we made tea at home.

Well we decided that night that chipper food was not only bad for us, but bad for our house savings.

Price is ridiculous and I heard they went up again since. Havent been near a chippers since and wont be ever again. And feeling so much the better for it.

On an equally depressing side note, last night I called to a friends house. Himself, wife and 2 kids were ordering Indian takeaway as I was leaving. 2 adults and 2 kids Indian order - €65. He said it was ONLY €55 the week before.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Eating out was always a luxury, but now just eating is getting to be a luxury too with food prices in the supermarkets going up waaaay more than the inflation rate

• Registered Users Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭bigroad

Even mcD and Burger K1ing are not cheap anymore.

Its only a few quid more for a proper roast dinner in a pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,057 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Its easy to dismiss it as 'prices have gone up', when we all go through stages in our lives, generally a few years married and a young family and mortgage to consider, when eating out is not an option if you are any way sensible with money. Things will move on and it will become an option again.

We were in that situation for most of the 70s and 80s, going out for a meal was not an option, between baby-sitters and the price of the meal, so we didn't go. Occasionally we would get the kids to bed and put together a meal with something a bit special, steak usually, bottle of wine, civilised table. Nowadays a meal out doesn't seem like a stretch at all, things come around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭SharkMX

I went into a pub for food one Sunday lunch before Christmas with the GF and her niece.

Over €50. Never again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,104 ✭✭✭blackbox

Eating out has always been a luxury.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Can only speak for Dublin but bars and restaurants are packed here at the weekends anyway. Hard to get tables in a lot of places. I would still eat out regularly enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭bigroad

I know I've started leaving the woman at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

2 Restaurant’s & 1 other nobody seems sure of yet have closed since Christmas in My town.

I think that whole industry is in trouble

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,550 ✭✭✭SteM

There was a similar thread before Christmas and we had people telling us that restaurants didn't want people who couldn't afford to eat out. That places in Dublin were packed etc

Post edited by SteM on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,201 ✭✭✭ongarite

The cafe, restaurants in my area are always packed lunch time & especially weekends. Plenty of money being spent in farm shop & restaurants , garden centre cafes & local coffee shop, pub carvery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭lbunnae

Yeah fast food and takeaway have increased at a higher % than a normal restaurant. Not sure about the high end restaurants , never go!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,503 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

There is a house in a street near me with the same house number. Judging by how often drivers arrive with food deliveries for them to my house, they must be spending big money. On the rare occasions that I go to takeaways, there are always drivers coming and going, and phone orders being taken. That might account for some of the decrease in footfall, if it is happening. I also get drivers with deliveries for a house the other side of a high wall from mine. Satnav or whatever tells them they can drive through the wall.

When the OP has their mortgage paid off, they will have maybe €800 a month available, and they can join the luxury people eating out again.

Yeah mine too , it’s probably quite area dependant. I feel like good numbers cafes and restaurants are constantly opening and closing since the beginning of cafes and restaurants. I think many owners try it out and get it wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭BraveDonut

A nice takeaway and a few beers from the off license is the way to go these days.

I used to love pub lunches but they have become so expensive - especially when you add €7 pints to the bill.

If I go to the local for lunch with my wife, you're looking at €60+ for 2 mains, 2 pints each plus tip.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭esker72

Higher Interest rates and high energy costs have taken a huge amount out of people pockets in the last year. With a bit of luck both of those will have eased back by the end of this year and make life a little easier for a good chunk of people. Also at some stage a bit of competition will come back into the food sector and that will stop the prices rising. Already I think Lidl and Aldi have realised they can't keep jacking up prices indefinitely and started to compete again. There was a lot of people got through Covid unscathed financially and with nothing to spend money on, had a lot of cash built up. Retail and hospitality have bumped up their prices to grab that but it won't last forever

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

Splashing out 17 or 18 quid for a carvery really shows you’ve got your priorities wrong in life.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,712 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Dining out in this country was always a luxury, but in recent years it became cheaper/more affordable with the proliferation of fast food and transient labour... Now that the cost/value proposition is rising there's a portion of the population who grew up with access to easy affordable dining out. Their expectations are unrealistic & maybe there needs to be a rebalancing in society.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,712 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

The Duck on Fade St. was closed due to phenomenal breaches of health and safety regulations...

• Advertisement

Depends how much money ya have really doesn’t it. 17 or 18 quid is SFA to a lot of people in Ireland. Time taken to make it they’d be losing more money.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Not everyone's priorities are the same. Some people get great pleasure in sharing a meal out with a loved one or treating them to an afternoon or evening out for some good food. On the balance sheet of life it's a win, on the balance sheet for your bank account maybe not :)

It’s not a money question. Spending 18 quid on some cremated beef and vegetables that came out of a catering truck that morning is just a complete waste of time. Spend a bit extra and get something nice or cook a roast at home. Most pub grub is horrific.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

OK I see now your issue is with the carvery specifically and yes they can be hit and miss and there are some bad ones out there.

There is absolutely no pub in Ireland buying in their own roasts, cutting their own spuds, making their own gravy, and serving it up for less than 20 quid. It’s all coming out of a Musgraves, Plassey etc truck. That’s the business model.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭hello2020

IMHO , the economic growth is driven by immigration (legal & others) which enrich the high & powerful class of society.

working/middle class will be become poorer while non-working class is taken care by social welfare !

• Advertisement

I’d find that statement hard to believe. I have had fairly different tasting carveries in different pubs but I’m not in the industry , I’m sure if you are right nobody will come along and correct you. What about hotels? You never mentioned pubs originally anyway.

Advertisement