Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

John Bruton RIP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,860 ✭✭✭enricoh

Met him once doing a clinic in the local hotel. The woman ahead of me barking that she wanted new windows n doors in council house. Me in next saying I got knocked for planning for my business.

He was after being taoiseach n I remember saying to myself - sod that traipsing around the country on a rainy Tuesday listening to this crap.

He told me apply again - I did n got the nod. Dunno if he pulled any strings or not but a daycent skin nonetheless

• Registered Users Posts: 23,871 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

• Registered Users Posts: 18,354 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Bruton was able to rise above such narrow closed mindsets, he had a skill in drawing them out. Even in death he has made such people look very foolish. Far worse than any VAT on children's shoes.

Bruton knew the importance of statesmanship, and is one of those who successfully dragged those blinkered people who were more concerned with destruction at worst / or petty symbolism at best - back into the democratic process. He kept a close eye on those who wanted to destroy the ROI from within, and forced them to change "strategy".

Both from the point of view of those who styled themselves to be "freedom fighters" or those who viewed themselves as druglords who thought they could act with impunity, while living in the lap of luxury. He fought against the destructive mindset.

The Criminal Assets Bureau (brought in by Bruton) and the SCC worked hand in hand to solve this.

---

History will look at him as one of those generation of politicians who got the outcasts of Irish politics who behaved like savages, to behave like dignified human beings, and eventually, getting that subset to grow up and cop themselves on.

While some in Irish politics were insular, petty, backward, and local in mindset. Bruton looked beyond that towards Europe and a brighter future for the Republic.

It is thanks to politicians like Bruton that Ireland now has enormous "soft power" at the heart of Europe, and beyond. Something only other countries can envy, and many of whom are nations who are of a much larger populous.

When history looks back on Bruton he will be viewed in a very favourable light, helping set Ireland up for the 21st century.

Post edited by gormdubhgorm on

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Not sure on the financial crash bit. Would he have done any better ?

He launched the infamous "Celtic Snail" Fine Gael campaign, about how the economy was moving too slow. When in fact it was overheating if anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,947 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Even Gerry has the decency to respectful today, although he cloaks it as Gaeilge, as he knows his supporters who will be most disappointed by this fact can't actually read it.

And no one likes a funeral with no soup and sambos after. You'll be the talk of the parish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,932 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

He was in some manners talented….

But I never liked him or his politics. This is an example….from 2014

he made some other very disparaging comments later too on the centenary in 2016….

Never liked him in the Daíl, smug, condescending, aggressive, belittling, arrogant, dismissive.. Varadkar uses some of the same playbook but is less aggressive..

if he genuinely thought 1916 was a mistake, if anyone did, as a mark of respect if you’d any sliver of decency, considering thousands of families lost loved ones…. you’d just not express that and say… “well out of respect for people, that’s my opinion but I’ll hold onto it..”". Unbelievably crass..

Never liked the cut of his jib, one of our worst Taoiseach.

RIP and all that but…he wasn’t for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,011 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

It's a hell of a comment on our political class when the best thing one can say about a dead Taoiseach is that "he did no harm".

:/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Packrat

I agree and I was the one who said that.

It's pretty damning of the current incumbents particularly, given the revenues and advantages they have compared to former Taoisigh, that they could fcuk it up so badly, fail the people, and do such great harm.

On the day he dies, old can't get nursing home care, sick can't get hospital nor gp care and today in the final insult, children can't be educated. All in a country "awash with money".

They have destroyed our state.

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

So you expected him to lie? He wasn't afraid to give his opinion whether you agreed with it or not. And he drew many people out because of it. It was almost as if he was waiting for the reaction

The Reality is Bruton was giving an alternate viewpoint to the PR job of Padraig Pearse who cleverly tied with Gaelic mythology and symbolism. Romantic republicanism is only a very recent invention.

Anyone with even a cursory knowledge of Ireland from the annals of Ulster going way back knows that Irishness is far more complex than Pearse's simplistic PR job. Irish people are a mix of Nordic/Viking, French, Anglo-Irish, and Celtic. Ireland was a "European hub" long before the term hub was coined. There used to be Irish clan v Irish clan, some with Vikings some without, old Irish vikings fighting New Irish Vikings. Sure Dublin has a GAA club called Naomh Olaf's. After the man with Viking lineage turned Monk/Saint.

That was globalism medieval style.

My point is Bruton thought in much broader sense like St Olaf, he did not think of "Irishness" in the narrow Pearse Republican narrative, he did not think in an insular parish pump manner, or Republican Gaelic Mythology.

Years ago I probably would not have agreed with Bruton's comments, but as I got older and matured. Moved away from the flag waving symbolic narrative, you do have to think was it worth it? What did it achieve? And were their viable alternatives? He had the courage to question the prevailing narrative many trot out, at the very least he got a reaction with the comments, at best he made people think. Reassess their viewpoints, etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2 crossmax1970

Seemed to be a good man but a dreadful politician...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,912 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

He was head and shoulders above the leaders of today. A man of integrity, albeit with views that not everyone agreed with. It strikes me that statesmanship is missing nowadays and it appears to be all me fein. Well that's how I feel about it.

I know it was a different time and we have moved on a bit, but the days of Bruton were not easy to navigate either. He was respected in life and will be respected in death.

May he rest in peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

So the worst thing that can be thrown at him is meeting King Charlie near 30 years ago?

Is that it?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,932 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

He was a what we call now, a WUM... wind up merchant... said for reaction and to annoy, hurt and disparage people.... he has a record of that..

I don't expect lies but from a politician , a prime minister I expect levels of diplomacy, good judgement and cop on.... and not that level of BS....

If something similar was said by a French PM about their revolution... a lot less docile a reaction..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

I believe the context of his Commonwealth statement was as a price for Irish Unity.

The Commonwealth isn't in great shape anyways and a couple of nations have left or are planning to leave. The Queen was big into it, but now there just isn't the same unifying leader there.

Ultimately the Commonwealth is a pretty meaningless organisation, and our head of state would still have been the Irish president. We could have left it at any stage once Irish unity was achieved.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,793 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

He seemed like an honest politician and had Ireland's interests at heart.

RIP.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,947 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

"Smug", "arrogant" and "condescending" are usually Boards shorthand for "has strong principles that I personally don't agree with".

I look at it this way he gave as good as he got. No doubt there are certain cohorts hammering him on other areas of social media far worse than this thread. But that says to me showed he stood by his viewpoint to think broader, not being swayed by the narrow more popular ones. Bruton wanted Ireland to get out it's backward provincial type thinking. He really manages/managed to draw certain gombeens out with such comments. Helped to lift the mask a bit IMO.

He was very consistent with his comments and was invited to speak in plenty of forums during the "decade of centenaries". Giving the "alternate view".

Plenty of politicians today go missing, go vague, obfuscate, or decline to comment when asked to address difficult subjects. Bruton was not afraid to give his opinions. You knew where he stood like him or not. He was not beholden to a very recently invented narrow ideology, and narrative.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,069 ✭✭✭✭beertons

My uncle was his driver for years. Johnny baby we used to call him. You could just imagine the laughing going on, with 2 Meath men in the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,381 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

There is an account over on X and the comments are just disgraceful about someone who has just passed away.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭boardise

I reckon that John Bruton ,like the vast majority of Irish people, would have been distressed and disgusted that 'thousands of families lost loved ones' as a result of the IRA decades long spree of murder and destruction from 1970s ...as savage as it was pointless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

Twitter is a cesspit and there’s a rabble of Irish users there (usually rabid Republicans or far-right conspiracy theorist loons) who spend all day being useless blobs of impotent rage on it. They are to be pitied really - they wake up being an angry loser and it’s all down hill from there for them.

I wouldn't even pay heed to it, but to me it proves his attitude was correct. It makes such people show their true colours.

Funny enough I never voted FG when Bruton was at his peak, would have been more Labour or independent etc.

I feel that for such people on 'X' (I can guess which party) the fact Bruton was soft spoken and articulate - it wound up a lot of them nearly as much as his differing views on their politics.

It is not often I give anyone from Meath praise, but he was never a fella to hide or get flustered.

Post edited by gormdubhgorm on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,543 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Not much chatter about him here (none in AH for example) and other forums outside the news itself.

Forgettable guy? Bit like Patrick Hillary, the man before the big bang

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Well said.

He was a clever man who , while he looked after his constituents when a td as remarked by a few Meath posters above , was very outward looking and less parochial when Taoiseach . Strong views not always palatable to dyed-n-the-wool Republicans , and others tbh , but not a sleeveen who changed whichever way the populist wind blew to his credit .

Did a lot to get the Peace Process over the line with the Unionists which some " warriors " will never forgive him for , but the more pragmatic will see it was necessary. Some posters on here are probably only reading sxxx from X or other sites and returning, but most of us who lived through that time as adults remember how protracted and difficult it was to get all parties to the table , vis . the recent difficulties in Stirmont are just small fry . People were being killed daily in the 90s up north .

I personally didn't like his revisionism over 1916 but respect his right to an educated opinion .

Very respected and listened to in Europe .

Let the begrudgers go hang ...he WILL be remembered for his decency unlike some notable others on the Ra side

May he rest in peace .

For some reason cannot register thanks on your OP, so thanks .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

The rainbow coalition he led from 1994 to 1997 was the best Government I recall in my lifetime. No scandals and the public just left to get on with their lives without hassle. It all headed south after they were bafflingly voted out.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,847 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Not really baffling. The country started to get a bit of money and one side said "let's be careful about this" and the other said "mansions, hookers and SUVs for all"

Of course the minority coalition partner got the obligatory kicking too.

But that is not his legacy . He left the country and finances in a great way, whatever you think about him personally, which Bertie and his FF government milked and then bled dry over the next 10 years .

We won't be able say the same for Bertie and others when they go ie .'did no harm ' .

There were scandals . Mobile phone licences being granted under shady deals , ESAT carry on , Michael Lowry and don't forget all the " aides/ family members " employed by Dick Spring and his party in government .

Don't think that reflects as much on Bruton though as it did on the individuals involved and he was open about cleaning house which had he been 'cuter ' like those that followed , would have saved his party's politically .

People were annoyed over that and FF promised the earth and much more, with the good financial position the country was reaping after 3 years of clever economics by the Rainbow government.

Disappointing that they didn't get back in on the next GE though . We definitely would have avoided the worst of the crash .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85,521 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement