Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange text from Three Mobile (supposedly)

Options
  • 04-11-2023 6:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

So earlier today I got this message texted to me from this number (+353851418684)...

Three Ireland:

Your Mobile SIM Contract(s) will be disabled, due to failure to accept our new Terms of Service. Log on: https://threeterms-ie.com/ to accept.

I haven't clicked onto that site as I'm not sure if it's a scam or not, so don't click it either. I've been on a 3 pay-as-you-go phone with the same number for over 15 years (it used to be O2) and I usually only top up by 10 Euro every month or two using this page https://mytopup.three.ie/unregistered and this is the first time I've ever heard of a SIM getting disabled.

Anyone else gotten these messages?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,550 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

• Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭spakman

Doesn't look like a valid URL.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,162 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

• Registered Users Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Scam link!

The composition of the address and .com domain, are the instant give away.

• Advertisement

That's what I thought at first, but Three Mobile have been introducing new plans during the year, so I was kinda unsure. Can't imagine they'd just nuke a SIM though. Still, I can't say I'm an expert on mobile phone companies and their ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,431 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Domain registered 8 days ago....in The Netherlands

https://www.urlvoid.com/scan/threeterms-ie.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭briancannon18

It's a scam, got the same and I'm on vodafone,

• Registered Users Posts: 16,613 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Three Ireland won't be sending texts via an 085 number. It's a scam OP.

Ok, Cheers lads.

I'll ignore that so.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,162 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

It's nothing to do with a phone company being the target. It has all the standard tactics of a scam, such as the attempt to force urgency, and the biggest giveaway is simply that's not a Three domain name and was only registered a few days ago:

• Registered Users Posts: 873 ✭✭✭JVince

Scam without any doubt and instantly obvious.

Firstly three would not use an 085 (meteor/eir) number

Secondly the domain is just ridiculous.

Delete and forget.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,624 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

it seams any txt/message with a link is a scam now - I dont even click links from friends

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭b.e.s.s.

OK it's a scam. But what yo do of already pressed the link? It opened tree lookalike site promting to log in, but i didn't enter any info. I think I'm screwed 😱

• Registered Users Posts: 873 ✭✭✭JVince

Once you have not entered any information you are fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,777 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Three will never text you like this, especially from an 085 number… If it looks wrong then it probably is.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Magzire

Well course of my mother fell for this one, whats the worst can they do with your eir account?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 The Flagman

I just got this message today. Identical to yours. Didn't click or won't. These days there are too many scams . Eir should have better more secure ways of contacting loyal customers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Glaceon

They could start with preventing foreign networks from spoofing Irish mobile numbers. My wife fell for one of these yesterday, albeit a DHL one. She had only had her card replaced the day before after presumably doing it a previous time!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,369 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Get one of these nearly every day for eir (amongst other companies), sometimes twice in a day

• Advertisement

• Definitely a scam.

I also suggest that people don’t refer to scams as being “obvious” as it may infringe people asking in future if they’re unsure for fear of being seen as silly or gullible.

There’s no such thing as totally obvious scam to everyone, some have pretty common hallmarks and similarities though.

In this case OP

The number is an 085 (eir) number.

the domain isn’t even a three domain. And as spear mentioned was only recently registered.

Three or any other company (legitimate anyway) will never send you a text with a link to click to accept vital T&C’s. Basically the clear urgency of the matter lends to it being a scam.

As always if you are unsure contact the relevant company and ask.

Gas. I keep getting these messages now. 3 more this week. The web link is slightly different this time https://three-online-service.com/

They're persistent, I'll give them that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭its_steve116

Happened to me just there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

Feck - can't believe I fell for this just now 😖 - was (not in bed but) half asleep and didn't want to lose access to contacts on phone. Could have been worse, as I was so irritated at having to enter info on phone rather than laptop that I went there to log in online instead before I had entered credit card number, but had entered name, address, phone number (thinking things increasingly odd). Only then I thought also to enter the url on laptop browser, realising it was indeed improbable as a legit address, and this thread was the second hit! Gaah - will have to at least change my pw now 😩

ETA: URL was 3ebills-termservices, and it turns out I used that just now but with an extra 's' after terms. Still surprised Google picked up this thread, as the variants listed share parts of the string but aren't very close

• Registered Users Posts: 4,100 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Stick - two ends.

Posting dodgy URL's here not only raise awareness, but also promotes this scam, someone might click into it.
    At least remove link/make not clickable.

I don't know if this was directed at me, but I don't understand the first line (and my string is not clickable)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,100 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Not directed to you in particular, but should make sense to all posters.
    "stick has two ends" - has inadvertent effect as well - you done "them" a favor by advertising and it will show up on G search

Maybe, I can't judge the ramifications, though I found the mentions helpful in alerting me fully in my wake-up from my sleepwalk into the scam

Advertisement