Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nuclear - future for Ireland?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Very simple question, how would you backup Nuclear plants if you built them?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭Shoog

EDF, the poster boy of bad nuclear management delivers another kick in the balls to the struggling UK economy.

How over budget ? How behind schedule ?

Frighteningly ballooning costs of nuclear strikes again. How does their schedule for 25Gw of nuclear by 2050 look at this stage. The industry that just keeps delivering failure.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,775 ✭✭✭SeanW

I would use a combination of strategies:

• Decrease use of existing hydropower installations so that there is more "storage" available for emergencies. Consider developing more hydro or pumped hydro schemes.
    • Develop more interconnection with Britain both directly and via Northern Ireland. Also do the Celtic Interconnector to France, so that "spinning reserve" can be shared with the UK and France.
    • Designate some output of a nuclear power plant as being for export. In an emergency, that would be the first thing to be cut.
    • Make limited investments into hydrogen energy storage & generation.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Why not develop bio-gas from animal waste and crops-for-fuel systems so that gas could be used when necessary?

The bio-gas can be augmented by the addition of hydrogen which would be better than pure hydrogen for several reasons.

This would be incredibly wasteful of both arable land and fertiliser components. The energy crops would require fertiliser and the animal waste could be used as fertiliser.

That's a real problem because the worlds ability to access fertiliser is going to become much more problematic in the coming decades and centuries. Particularly phosphates.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Well, there was a time horses ate a lot of hay grown for that particular purpose, and those horses provided most transport horse power (hence the term).

We just need to reassess our use of power and energy (and all the other things that we consume) to lead lives that tread a little more gently on this earth. The relentless chase of economic growth is going to have a very unpalatable ending for some or all of the human population.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,788 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

You could use gas turbines, which is how renewables are backed up, hence our high CO2 emissions, but given you only need that backup for 5% of a year, it's hardly a problem emissions wise, by your own admission, seeing as how you think the zero CO2 goal is unnecessary anyway.

Or you could use nuclear reactors to backup those powered down for refuelling or other maintenance.

The 2050 plan is to decarbonise transport using hydrogen generated from wind. It's more viable to use nuclear energy since electrolysers need a constant and steady energy source. If the wind stops blowing you have to keep electrolysers going from some other energy source. Nuclear is cheap and reliable and is an ideal source for generating hydrogen for fuels. Given the hydrogen for transport requirement detailed by the ESB, and the storability of hydrogen, you could easily build up a several month reserve of hydrogen, that way when you need to maintain a reactor you could switch a hydrogen generating reactor over to the grid and run transport from the reserves.

Despite all the endless BS on this forum, the truth remains that nuclear is the most dependable and reliable energy generation source generally in use.

Our projected 2050 energy needs are more than double what we currently use, so we could easily accommodate 10 1.4 GW reactors, some of which would be doing hydrogen generating duties, so it's not like you have to have the capacity to backup all 10 simultaneously, just 2 of them probably, at the outside, which would easily be accomplished with the hydrogen->grid switching.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,661 ✭✭✭✭josip

Hydrogen and interconnections are being rubbished by some of the pro-nuclear people on this thread when discussed in the context of renewables. Why are they reasonable suggestions for nuclear backup but not renewable backup?

How much capacity Hydro do we currently have, 200MW? (Ignoring Turlough Hill which could only operate for 6 hours) There's a considerable shortfall there to be backup for a 1.2GW nuclear reactor. If we've only been able to install 200MW capacity over the past 100 years, how much new capacity could we realistically find in an ecologically more sensitive era?

Do you think the 10 reactors should be co-located on a single site or distributed? I assume they would need to be at least somewhat distributed due to grid constraints. Have you identified any suitable locations? Again, I assume by the coast somewhere to use seawater for cooling, or would you hope to use fresh water from a river?

This may come as a surprise, but "pro nuclear people" are not a hive mind. As to the difference between nuclear and renewables, renewables are expensive and unreliable - literally as dependable as the weather. So the problem of backup etc. is much greater.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

LMAO, and Nuclear isn't expensive!

New Nuclear builds are vastly more expensive then renewabl builds.

You are saying backup Nuclear with interconnectors to Europe. Great, but we can do the same for wind.

The combination of renewables + interconnectors is going to be much cheaper then Nuclear + interconnectors. Also we can build out the renewables + interconnectors MUCH faster then we could ever dream to do with Nuclear.

I would guesstimate you would ideally want 3 NPPs located so as to replace existing power generation, where that is in close proximity to water suitable for cooling. I wouldn't be familiar with all the existing generator locations, but it would seem there would be no shortage of appropriate locations:

The Shannon estuary seems a likely candidate and perhaps Cork and Poolbeg. I'd tear out Arnacrusha and rehabilitate all areas bespoiled by that apalling monstrosity. There used to be lovely rapids at Killaloe before that was built, then you could get rid of that ghastly eel saver tacked on to the bridge there spoiling an otherwise nice stone bridge.

You could use gas turbines, which is how renewables are backed up, hence our high CO2 emissions, but given you only need that backup for 5% of a year, it's hardly a problem emissions wise, by your own admission, seeing as how you think the zero CO2 goal is unnecessary anyway.

I never said anything of the such! Don't put words in my mouth!

What I did say is that we don't need to be zero emission by 2030, but we would need to be zero emission by 2050.

So come 2050 your backup needs to be zero emission too. Now if you want gas in 2050, then you need to use carbon capture and storage (CCS). And that is fine, there are pros and cons to CCS.

But the point is renewables can use the exact same gas + CCS technology as a backup come 2050 if it proves viable.

The point is by 2050 we will need zero emission backups, that might be gas + CCS, hydrogen, biogas, interconnectors or possibly a combination of all the above. But whether you use Nuclear or Renewables, you are still going to need a backup.

So the question comes down to for the 2050 goal, is Renewables + Backups or Nucelar + backups cheaper and faster to build?

From all the evidence I've seen the renewable path will be much cheaper and certainly much faster to build.

But you can't tear out Ardnacrusha, Sean needs it as back up for his nuclear proposal.

Korean nuclear needs 5% backup, our current renewables need more than 50% backup. If you were to do it with hydrogen, then the scale is quite different. But I'd be happy backing up that 5% with NG.

Interconnectors are just a bad idea as they are way too expensive and generate nothing. Just that Celtic interconnector people seem to love so much is €2 biilion for a paltry 700 MW capacity. When a generate nothing interconnector costs €2,857 per KW and a Korean NPP costs €3,290 per KW, the interconnector is a huge waste of money, IMO.

With Russian subs scoping out all of Europe's subsurface infrastructure, you'd have to be thick to not opt for complete self reliance, particularly when the costs for dependency on others is so high comparatively, just in infrastructure cost terms.

What are you talking about?!

Nuclear in South Korea only makes up 17% of their electricity generation (2020)! Coal and Gas make up 62% and renewables + Hydro are higher then Nuclear at 19%

Anyway if we reach the goal of 80% renewables, then gas would be only making up 20% of the remainder.

And I've seen estimate and modelling done that shows we might be able to get to 95% with simple existing renewable technology, so you would only be using gas for the last 5%. And potentially CCS with that come 2050.

Renewables are not cheap!

Commercial scale solar in Ireland, given a capacity factor of only 10% works out at €9.27 Billion per GW.

The world's latest and largest OSW farm, Doggerbank, is costing €4.48 Billion per GW given a capacity factor of 47%

If you really want to throw your money away by the giant sackfull, then floating OSW is your man, at €9.896 Billion per GW given a capacity factor of 57%, which is a guesstimate based on Hywind Scotlands performance. Based on Hywind Tampen, the latest and largest OSW project just completed

Korean Nuclear costs €4.22 Billion given a capacity factor of 95%, based on Barakah NPP costs.

This doesn't even begin to show the true scale of how expensive renewables are comparatively as it's just using a simplistic over capacity model of multiplying by 1/capacity factor. The actual backup cost using hydrogen from electrolysis and the real over-capacity required is basically not possible to calculate as no country has ever done it and we don't even have the commercially available infrastructure to base costs off, like full scale low nox hydrogen fueld gas turbines. With 100% certainty I can say it will be a lot more expensive than my simplistic cost model.

Renewables are very expensive in a real world net zero sense, not that LCOE BS.

I am talking about capacity factor of the tech. Korean nuclear has a capacity factor of just over 96%, so I was just calling it 95%.

It is great that Nuclear power plants have such a high capacity factor, but it doesn't tell you anything about what we are talking about here, which is how much backup you would need if one goes offline.

If one 1.4GW reactor goes offline for even 4 or 5% of the time, you still need 1.4GW of backup, so 3 Natural Gas plants.

And what happens if 50% of your reactors goes offline for more then a year like happened in France last year? You would need 7GW of Natural Gas power plants waiting to go and then run at full tilt for a whole year!

And of course come 2050, all of that backup needs to be zero emission.

So either way you have to build that backup, it is irrelevant if it is Nuclear or Renewables.

Also, you would need to be very careful of having all your NPP's being the same design, what happens if you find a fault in the design? An all your eggs in one basket.

What I don't get about all this stupid idea, is that absolutely no country in the world is talking about going full, 100% Nuclear like you suggest. Quiet the opposite, Frances plan is to go from a peak of 85% to 60% Nuclear, the rest renewables. Even South Korea is talking of only going to 35% Nuclear by 2035.

If this was such a good idea, why are non of the countries who are experts in Nuclear power and actually own companies who make reactors doing this crazy idea?

I'd actually point to South Koreas goal of 35% Nuclear being the most you could put on an isolated grid like South Korea or Ireland. Interestingly SK is planning to be using Hydrogen/Ammonia for about 20% of it's energy mix come 2050.

The world's latest and largest OSW farm, Doggerbank, is costing €4.48 Billion per GW given a capacity factor of 47%

And Hinkley Point C is working out at €16.8 Billion per GW!

Even taking into account capacity factors, that makes Nuclear over twice as expensive as renewables!

And that doesn't include the estimate £6 Billion cost of decommissioning Hinkley Point C once it completes it run, nor the cost of building a Nuclear waste repository!

All of those costs are in the UK so all directly comparable.

Renewables might not be cheap, but Nuclear is FAR more expensive.

BTW you all understand that the increases in capital costs due to inflation and high interest rates impacts ALL capital projects, not just wind, but Metro's and roads and Hospitals, etc.

And you all know that new Nuclear will be by far the worst hit as they are the largest capital projects, with the longest start up times. You understand that the current high cost environment is devastating for the economics of building new Nuclear?

You all get that if you don't think we can afford to build new renewables any more, that there is no way we can afford to build even more expensive Nuclear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,892 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Whichever you go with will require backup and the only plan here at present is wind backed up by hydrogen. That is clear from the 2030 plan on offshore wind of 7 GW with 2 GW of that 7 going to hydrogen production. Basically the ESB 50/50 plan on consumption and hydrogen. With our needs to double between now ans 2050 that would require 70 GW of installed capacity offshore. The Capex alone for the offshore turbines alone would be around 50% of our GDP, and that is before you include the extra cost of the floating terminals, (comprising 26% of those turbines afaik), the cost to the consummer who would be required to pay double for what the consume to cover the electricity used in the hydrogen production, plus having to pay for all those offshore companies produce even if we do not need or use it. And for all of that you are talking a source that has half the capacity factor and one third the lifespan of nuclear. It is simply not economically feasible.

Theoretically 9 x 1.6 reactors would fill our 2050 predicted needs and carbon neutral using the already installed 6 GW of installed capacity of wind, hydro and solar being backup for 2 of those reactors being offline at any one time for whatever reason. But in reality that would not work either due to all three being unreliable and intermittent. That leaves you with stored gas as a backup or hydrogren which as far as I`m concerned has a lot of questions to answer as to would it work to scale, as well on storage and distribution. But then if you do decide to go with hydrogen then one other 1.6 reactor would provide energy to produce enough hydrogen much more efficiently than wind to replace at least one of those reactors being offline where the other would be then covered by the reactor being used to directly provide electricy to the grid. You could even do a pro-rata deal with the U.K. and France for imports and exports on refueling schedules.

For me those are the options and economically the offshore wind plan does simple not stack up.The harping here to me by some on us not considering nuclear as an option due to Hinkley Point is simalar to some in another country saying they should not build a childrens hospital because of the over-run on budget and time delays. Times have moved on very rapidly where offshore wind is concerned with prices now gone through the roof. Even with all the delay and over-run on budget Finlands`s latest 1.6 GW nuclear plant came in at €11 Bn. The UAE 5.6 GW plant with a 90%+ capacity factor and a lifespan of 60 years cost €22.5 Bn. with a construction time of 9 years. That is the equivalent of less than €65 Bn. for our 2050 needs. There is also the price Poland has agreed for their first nuclear plants.

Offshore wind does not come within a country mile financially of supplying the same. Not even for the Finnish plant that was years late and over budget.

By your ludicrous directly comparable nonsense, Ireland should exit the EU, because that's what they did in the UK. Hinkley point is a disaster, Barakah isn't. Call me strange, but I would look to emulating successes, not failures, which is why I base everything on Korean built reactors which are the clear winners currently. The UAE clearly thought so and Poland likewise, though I think sourcing most of their reactors from the US may be foolish and suspect that it's only explicable as a political move linked to their US millitary hardware acquisition ambitions and behind the scenes deals that won't ever be made public.

EDF nuclear is expensive, Korean isn't.

According to the World Nuclear Association, the construction unit costs of the APR 1400, a nuclear reactor using Korean technology, is $3,571 per kilowatt. The comparative figure for China's reactor is $4,174; U.S. $5,833; Russia $6,250 and France $7,931. 

Saying the highest figure available is the one true cost of nuclear is just stupid. You might think it's argument winning, but it's just puerile. No individual or country that is sane chooses the most expensive option or aims to emulate failure. I could have found more expensive OSW farm costs to quote, but I didn't, I could have found more expensive floating OSW farm costs to quote, but I picked the cheapest so far.

Hinkley has twice the capacity factor of the OSW Doggerbank and 3 times the lifespan.

As crazy as it may sound, even the worst price anti- nuclear can find still comes out ahead of wind.

Ah, come off it, you are now pointing to reactors built with slave labour by a dictatorship in a desert!

Your ten 1.6GW reactors would end up costing €250 Billion per the cost of Hinkley Point C! Not including future decommissioning cost (£6 billion per reactor) and the cost of a Nuclear repository.

Even if you want to base it on the cost of OL3, it would be €110 Billion (not including decommission etc).

cnocbui, we look to the UK, because they are our neighbours, with the same legal and planning system and usually the same construction companies involved.

I've got to say, the two of you really don't help the cause of Nuclear in Ireland by spewing such ridiculous nonsense.

Here is the thing, the Nuclear industry is a mess, it needs to be fixed before we go anywhere near it. I was somewhat hopeful about SMR's but that looks to be another miss. The Poles and Ukranians looking at AP1000's looks interesting, but early days.

The idea of Ireland going all out on 100% Nuclear when no other country in the world is doing that and the Nuclear industry is in such a bad state is incredibly stupid.

Cut out the nonsense. Finland didn`t use slave labour and neither will Poland.

The only reason you are looking to Hinkley point is because it the most expensive example you can find. Which even when you take capacity factor and lifespan into account leaves it cheaper than Doggerbank offshore.

So lets go with the €110 Billion over budget and much delayed OL-3 example that would deliver 15 GW of electricity for 60 years which would leave us carbon neutral and tell me how much your wind plan will cost for the same. Including or excluding hydrogen which ever you wish, (not including decommissioning etc.)

Currently offshore wind is a mess with companies refusing to even bid a price for our neighbours and others refusing to honour contracts they signed, not just for our neighbours but worldwide.

How is the idea of Ireland going 100% wind, which for all intents and purposes is what the current plan is in reality, any smarter than going nuclear. ?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,814 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Finland reducing imports is the end of a nightmare not a dream.

Wind is doing more to reduce Finland's imports than new nuclear. And most of that wind came on line in the last 3 years. It's a win for wind.

To recap new nuclear has come close to matching wind in 1 of the last 14 years, remember they got ZERO power from OL-3 during the 13 years it was delayed. Next year they'll have more wind. It will be a very long time before they get more nuclear. Especially if they close any of the older plants.

Again France has nuclear because forty years ago they knew how to build nuclear power plants. It's a lost art. Back then dispatchable hydro was a big thing too. The economics of wind and solar have changed drastically since then. They can pay for themselves in less time than it takes to build a nuclear power plant. They can offset construction emissions in months rather than years too.

Wind and solar aren't dispatchable but weather forecasts are getting better. You can lookup the twice weekly reports on dispatch margin here https://www.eirgrid.ie/grid/system-margins-outlook-reports And we can use an average of 20% of today's emissions of fossil fuel beyond 2030

Wow over provisioning by 16 times. 3 times wind and solar should be enough until 2050. And the price of solar is still falling. 3GW on existing buildings with existing electrical connections would take roughly zero hectares and would mean there'd be no demand for expensive nuclear on warm sunny days. And solar produces power during peak hours.

You really are a master at scraping the bottom of barrels and ludicrous assertions. The cheapest place Korean reactors are built is Korea, which last I checked was considered a democracy free of slave labour.

Germany are neighbours with Poland. They have different views on nuclear energy. I don't see any natural law of geographic proximity dictating an obvious synergy of energy generation policies. Sout korea doesn't border either the UAE or Poland, nor does Poland border the US. This UK Ireland synergy being an unassailable and obvious natural law is all in your head.

Ireland is contemplating a near pure renewables driven hydrogen economy when no other country is. This may come as a shock, but France already has 100% nuclear capacity, which is why every time I checked last year when a lot of reactors were having some repair work after 30 years of near constant use, the share of nuclear in their energy generation hadn't changed much from the usual 60-70% range. it would seem they didn't export as much as usual and even imported for once.

Today at 17:00 today, France was exporting over 14 GW while their domestic nuclear share was 67% and wind was 7%. You can bet most of that huge export was from nuclear. Their nuclear capacity is 61.37 GW but their total demand at that time was 55.46 GW. They could in theory have 100% domestic nuclear generation but instead they choose to mix it up and earn €3 billion a year in exports.

We already have 4+ GW of wind capacity so I was never truly advocating Ireland going 100% nuclear. It was more of a mental exercise. Even though the French likely could stop burning gas entirely, they don't.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,814 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Please, please read the operation constraints

We'd need 18 Ardnacrusha's per 1.6GW reactor. Apart from the difficulty in getting planning permission you first need to find another 17 Shannons. Also wouldn't work because hydro, even with turbines already spinning in air, isn't fast enough to meet the Primary Operating Reserve. (Page 20-21)

Combined Ramp Rates on EWIC and Moyle Interconnectors are limited to 10 MW/Min (page 18) In the 5 seconds you have to restore 75% of the power (Page 20) they will have ramped up by 8MW. You need 1,200MW.

You can't export power if there's no demand for it at the other end. The nuclear power would then have a negative price, this has happened on the US grid because they couldn't dump the excess heat.

Why limit investment ? other countries have oodles of storage. While restarting Rough increases the UK’s storage to 9 days’ worth of gas, it is still significantly behind other European countries, including Germany with 89 days, France with 103 days, and the Netherlands with 123 days. With 4 months of storage you could run the country on solar nevermind wind.

The only wow would be the cost. Wind here has dropped to 6% and lower for extended periods,so if you are going with wind and hydrogen to cater for 14 GW demand by 2050 it will require 70 GW of offshore nameplate capacity. Go for just wind and solar with solar`s capacity factor plus the long winter months when it wil be asleep for long periods adding nothing when demand is peak, the required GW`s from offshore would not be discernibly less.

If you are reliant on wind and solar what difference is weather forecasts going to make. Even if you knew 6 moths in advance that wind was going to drop off the scale, what are you going to do, erect enough wind turbines in that 6 months to negate that drop ?

You were also predicting wind costs to become cheaper not long ago when others were pointing out it was only going to rise. How did that work out for you ?

Finland`s import nighrmare on imports, as you term it, ended much faster than you earlier predicted, and that was due to nuclear coming on line, not wind.

France has made it clear that they are not going down the German road you favor of them shutting down their nuclear plants. They are adding to them. With them having the lowest emissions in Europe by some distance, even while generating a surplus that they are getting oodles of money for exporting, it really isn`t difficult to see why.

Very convenient for you on this thread is it not that you can pick and choose whichever area you feel like to argue against nuclear, especially on cost, when you cannot be challenged likewise, (even with verifiable data), on your own wind prefered plan. A plan that you or nobody else can come up with a price for. As I have said before, in the real world of engineering and economics that has you holding a wish list, not a plan.

• Advertisement

Today at 17:00 today, France was exporting over 14 GW

14136MW exported when they had 16824MW of low emission renewables ( 10854 Hydro, 5193 Wind, 777 Solar )

They aren't exporting nuclear. They are exporting renewables.

French Exports (below the line) vs Wind (above the line) for the last 8 weeks.

In 2017 fossil provided 53.5TWh with 33.2TWh from wind and solar. By last year year that was reversed. Fossil dropped to 32.2TWh while wind and solar jumped to 60.1TWh Renewables are displacing gas on the grid. That's what's driving down Frances CO2 figures.

Advertisement