Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The BIG thread on how to import from Japan

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭eamonnq

I have an unreasonable ( and probably incorrect) suspicion that if someone is selling a car, that they are only selling it because there is something wrong with it. So buying privately in Ireland even after test driving a car would have me concerned that there must be something wrong with it. Buying sight unseen from an auction in Japan, I am relying (over-relying?) on the premise that the cars in Japan are looked after better and are better value than buying privately here, but of course I could end up with a lemon.

I will have to have another look at the pricing though, as I was fairly sure that the prices I mentioned were fairly accurate from dealers, but maybe it was different models or non-hybrid versions that are €9.5k or else I just missed the cheaper ones.

" https://www.donedeal.ie/cars/Honda/Fit/2015?fuelType=Hybrid&sellerType=pro&sort=priceasc "

Tried to link to search for Hybrid 2015 Fits from dealers, seemed to be all above the 10.5k mark, although some with higher mileage available a bit cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 the_pope2

I read some of the posts here that you need to pay vat for cars imported from Japan. Doesn't the Japan and EU free trade agreement which should take the vat away?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭User1998

23% VAT payable on all Japanese imports. Reduced customs duty for Japanese manufactured cars.

Thanks...thought was too good to be true.

For example if I buy a car in Japan for €30,000 and ship for about €800, then I need to pay 10% of cost of car + shipping along with 23% of cos lt of car + shopping, which is then around another €10,000 totalling about €40,000 and then the VRT on top, is that correct?

Its a bit worse than that because after you pay 10% customs you have to pay 23% on the car + the freight + the customs. So on a €30k car its more like €13.5k, not €10k.

And shipping will be more like €2.5k not €800.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Luna84

And shipping will be more like €2.5k not €800.

That the worst about the first post in this thread. It a good post guiding you what to do but it was 11 years ago and prices have all gone up since then along with shipping costs.

The OP paid less then 3 grand for a car that worth significantly more now.

When they calculate the customs tax and vat, do they look at the receipt to see how much you paid?

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Thomasirl123

Is the customs Duty now 3.8% on jdm cars?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

Yes, along with a copy of bank transfer and final auction bid/advert showing sale price for same

But let's say you went to Japan and paid for the car in cash, how would they then calculate n check the vat?

• Advertisement

That would never happen. If you can’t provide the paperwork then the car doesn’t get cleared. There are loads of Japanese cars at the port with grass growing out of them they’ve been sitting there that long. They all get crushed every couple of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Luna84

Jesus that's a bit extreme. You think they'd sort out the paper work themselves(not talking about Japanese paper work but somehow slide the system since they are the system) and sell on the cars. There was probably some great cars gone to the crusher over the years.

Let's say you paid half cash and half bank transfer with the receipt only showing the bank transfer amount. Would they just then calculate the import tax n vat with what the bank transfer and receipt shows?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Yes, but they will also check the OMSP and query why yours cost half of that or to a reasonable amount

Your clearly just trying to under invoice. Nobody is going to Japan and paying for their cars in cash. The reason its so strict now is because of people under invoicing. You need to show a screenshot of the price the car sold for at auction so your stupid plan won’t work.

Not saying bought by auction but if one was physically in Japan and did that...would that work?

Nobody here will ever physically go to Japan and pay for a car in cash so how can anyone answer that? Stupid question really. The thread is for helping genuine people looking to import from Japan. Not for helping with under invoicing.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thefisherbuy

User1998 I see you post here on a lot and just want to ask you a question if that's okay, Wanting to import in a gt86 manual now the thing is that they don't list the jap 86 manual but they have the automatic listed and they have the UK gt86 manual/automatic listed.. Im just a bit worried of what type of figure they'd give me on a budget aswell as is and unsure..

cheers

A Japanese car will be treated as a completely different model with a different description and possibly different Co2, so a new market valuation will be calculated which could be anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 tag-diamond

hello, thanks for the help previously, my car is successfully loaded in the container with the rest of our goods and on the way, hopefully by mid March it will arrive.

i have sorted out all the paper work and am aware of the necessary steps here in Ireland, the only open question I have is: once the container is unloaded they will deliver the goods to our house but the car I need to pickup from their warehouse. How can I bring this legally to the nearest NCT center? A friend here said he just rode his plateless motor bike from port to the center, no questions asked.. can I apply for temp plates or something? The car has no plates, unregistered in Japan etc..

in Japan I attached temp plates and could drive a pre registered route from house to container load point etc.. anything similar? Or would I need to get a flatbed to transport it etc?? Thanks

• Advertisement

When you clear it from customs, your agent will send you temp plates that you print off and can insure the car with

What agent?

Customs? This is under a ToR import, I have a company here in Ireland that will receive the container and do the customs stuff etc but when I asked them this question they didn’t mention temp plates being possible etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭jamesbil

Anyone know what charges apply to vintage commercial vehicles. Something like a 1992 or 93 Honda Acty?

I know there will be VAT + Duty, but what about when it comes to VRT?

Thanks

No duty once it's over 30, and VRT will be a flat €200

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭jamesbil

what about under 30? VAT + Duty, will vrt still be €200 as commercial? Does NOX com in to it?

Any chance for a picture of what these temp plates would look like? Are we talking about the plates with a red diagonal? These are the Japanese “仮ナンバー” that I also used to bring the car to customs after deregistering it in Japan.

Or carne plates? Our something else?

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,499 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

If it is unregistered in Japan than it cannot be a Transfer of Residence, as that requires a vehicle in normal use in the country it is transferred from.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

just use the last reg of the car, it could be the temp or the reg you were issued when driving around japan, both are probably on the de-reg cert.

That’s incorrect. The car needs to be exported from Japan and unregistered before export, else customs will not approve. Under ToR you need the export certificate from Japan..

• Advertisement

That’s incorrect. The car needs to be exported from Japan and unregistered before export, else customs will not approve. Under ToR you need the export certificate from Japan.. so, before exporting it you need to unregistered it. For ToR I need to show proof it was in use (maintenance slips/insurance certificate etc) for more than 6 months and that we lived in Japan for more than 1 year, both no problems as we actually used it..

Advertisement