Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Isha - Sunday 21/Monday 22 January 2024

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,107 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Seems to have been 3 deaths due to this storm. Another incident outside Limavady, man in a van killed too.

Power still out at home this morning.

Entire local area seems totally without power. Looks like kids will be off today as well.

Roads very messy with debris, small twigs and larger branches, but council seem to have been out early moving larger obstacles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

Power gone in Breaffy retail park Castlebar, where Harvey Norman and woodies are.

Power came back just outside Newport during the night but internet still down, not sure if it's my fibre line as it was blowing badly last night.

Fence has relocated to another country and shed door blown off it's hinges.

Didn't see any structural damage to the house but it'll be after lunch before I'm back to inspect.

Certainly the worst storm I've experienced in over 10 years at that location.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭Mr.Wemmick

I’ve never known a January like it.

After what was an exceptional beautiful cold week with snow & sunshine, yesterday has to be the worst storm I’ve ever experienced.

The house was battered by gusts and I thought the windows were going to come in. Quite a scary experience.. the normal run-of-the-mill wind & gusts today are most welcome.

Our electricity flicked on and off last night but thankfully we have power this morning. Although I fully expect organised power cuts today while lines & cables are repaired.

Don’t forget to check in on elderly neighbours today if you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,341 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Side gate destroyed. Planks ripped off it and it has dislodged from its hinges. It was bolted at the time too.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Wine Goddess

Driving from Dublin to Sligo this morning! I'll be on the N4..... anyone know how the roads might be?

I'll be taking it very easy given that trees and power lines might be down.

Thanks for any information you might have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 HooksandCranny

Power still out here in south donegal, lots of schools closed too. Certainly a storm to remember. Thanks to all the posters who flagged this days back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

Luckily no damage to the house. The only casualty was the wind disconnected the circulation pump hose for my fish pond and it drained the pond. So a 5am I am outside filling a paddling pool with the remaining pond water to save the fish.

When I get back from work I will refill and treat the water. At least the fish get a holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭waywill1966

Is eir broadband down for anyone else? Gone in Sligo since 9pm last night!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭Storm 10

I saw that some posters here reported hearing a very loud noise in the Sky during the storm I was outside at around 4pm and I heard what can only be described as a frightening noise high up in the clouds you could follow this noise in the wind direction, I am presuming that this was wind but can you imagine the damage it would have done at ground level, was this wind as I never heard this before in Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭lucalux

I'm wondering about ESB having no updated estimates for power to be restored. Usually they'd be fairly spot on with a time given, and while I know it's a massive nationwide event, I dont know if I've seen that blanket 6pm estimate from them before

Big fan of the lads and lasses who go out in all weather and at all hours to fix us up, just in case anyone thinks I'm having a go 😅

So much cooler this morning here in Roscommon, rain on and off, but fresh as anything after all that wind

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,153 ✭✭✭highdef

Didn't hear it myself but going by the conditions in many areas, together with the atmospheric conditions being experienced, I can only assume that it may have been a sting jet above, not quite making it to ground level?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭nullObjects

Yeah I'd guess it's because there's so many places without power they probably can't be more specific.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,137 ✭✭✭✭km79

Unbelievably the power went after the strongest of winds had passed in South Mayo last night. We had jinxed it by packing away all the candles :D

No power, heat(not really an issue as it’s so mild ), water to sinks , toilets , showers etc (runs off a pump except for mains at kitchen sink so we can fill buckets for the toilets ) or phone coverage

Hopefully back soon so the food in fridge and freezer keeps ok

The ESB workers aways do amazing work to get it back online but I’m sure there will be many waiting until tomorrow to get back online tbh

Credit as always to MTC and others who flagged this . We were due to be in Galway city yday where the clock blew down from Garveys. I’m sure many others heeded the warning too so injuries/lives saved

• Registered Users Posts: 14,308 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

no power out amazingly, bins weren't scattered (still at the end of the drive as weren't picked up with the snow)

drove down the road

completely blocked past that.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭TTLF
    save the trouble and jazz it up

The wind was so violent last night that when I went to the bathroom the water in the toilet bowl was shaking from the wind, never seen that before!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭yagan

My waste collection company usually send out a reminder text on a Sunday evening, wisely didn't last night.

The sound of wind gusts have been replaced by chainsaws.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭firemansam4

Definitely one of the worst storms I've ever experienced here in East Donegal. Power has been out since about 10pm last night, schools up here now closed for the third day in succession, last Thur and Fri due to the snow and ice.

Hearing that ESB could be down for a long time, could even be days, I can't imagine the job the ESB crews have to deal with today. Not sure at what point we will have to dump everything in the freezer if that's the case.

A long Fence between me and next door, which is currently unoccupied was collapsing last night, but managed to prop it up during the worst of the storm last night.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,741 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Listening to Gerry Murphy on RTE and, reading between the lines, I reckon Storm Jocelyn tomorrow night. But, nothing like Isha.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

House in tact this morning. I just need to fix my honesty box back upright and check polytunnel and bee hives

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

See that often here near the Kerry ,water swooshing about with what it would like in a light earthquake I would imagine, get loads of creaks and flexing sounds also from the roof.

Like other posters we heard the very loud howls from the wind yesterday, been a while since I've heard the big gusts coming from afar and literally arriving with a wallop, I would imagine we were hearing high up gusts too that werent necessarily impacting that much here.

Fortunately kept the power here, lots of flickers, thought we would loose it.

Colleague of mine nearby had a whole length of facia and soffit ripped off the gable, they were afraid it would get under the roof but lucky the worst of it with the biggest gusts only lasted about an hour or so here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭shmaupel

Steady strong winds here in South Donegal. Haven't abated too much over night. Wondering tomorrow's event will bring!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭Mr.Wemmick

Hope your beehives are okay. I need to check my greenhouse later too.

Our hens were okay, but I was kicking myself I didn’t bring them in yesterday evening. Fully expected the coop to be blown away, but thankfully not.

Post edited by Mr.Wemmick on

• Registered Users Posts: 8 COSha022

Power still out in Carrick on Shannon - I'll be surprised if it's back today. The ESB teams have been on the go since early this morning trying to fix power outages, they really do Trojan work. They've a long couple of days ahead of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭fmul9798

Time for another thread- storm Jocelyn warnings issued

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭finlma

Who's going to start the Storm Jocelyn thread or are we all suffering from storm exhaustion?

Donegal, Mayo and Galway have an orange warning for Tuesday evening.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭accensi0n

My green bin is back full after being collected this morning. Someone elses recycling ended up all over front drive 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 8,692 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Storm exhaustion? Are you mad!?

Storm exhilaration you mean?

New thread open. Orange for Galway, Mayo and Donegal.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,239 ✭✭✭secman

I still think that it was irresponsible of the GAA to ignore an Orange warning yesterday that was going to effect supporters travelling home from Dublin. Poor poor decision.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,523 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Rather than uploading directly to Boards, I will embed my tweet of the storm comparison table because at least that way it will be readable unlike the silly compression Boards applies to the image.

As I say in the tweet, Isha had the highest national average for wind gusts since Darwin in 2014. 5 stations didn't reach any warning level which is more than some of those I've mentioned yesterday but the high gusts from other stations and large wind field make it the most intense since 2014.

Ballyhaise had its highest gust since Ali (Sep 2018).

Casement had its highest gust since Ciara (Feb 2020).

Claremorris had its highest gust since Eleanor (Jan 2018).

Dublin Apt had its equal highest gust since Ali (Sep 2018).

Dunsany had its equal highest gust since Ali (Sep 2018).

Finner Camp had its highest gust since Ulli (Jan 2012).

Gurteen had its highest gust since Ali (Sep 2018).

Advertisement