Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eating Out becoming a Luxury?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

White Rabbit owner was on Claire Byrne last week.

He said that his food is 50% more expensive to make today compared to a few years ago. They increased prices by 20% but there's diminishing returns increasing any more than that. People won't pay it.

One point he made is that even though he has no one on minimum wage, when min wage was increased, the staff asked for a matching pay increase. Also the VAT increase added an extra 5% more to the cost of everything, and during COVID, Revenue allowed restaurants to defer payment, but these are now due, with interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Did White Rabbit owner pass the decrease in VAT on to his customers during Covid?

Restaurant owners are very quick now to whinge about the VAT restoration (not an increase, it has been put back to its original rate). I didn't hear a peep out of them when the rate was reduced from 13.5% to 9% a few years ago.

Probably didn't, probably already operating on a slim margin what with COVID closures. Remember that restaurants had to reduce capacity while still providing the same service.

Ah, so they stealth increased their prices by keeping the VAT reduction for themselves, and now whinge about VAT increasing.

Clowns.

You're right, I'm sure restaurants closing up and down the country is another plot to scam people out of their hard earned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,876 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

...try be a sme owner, before passing judgment, most sme's operate on a tightrope, while larger business/corporations enjoy the fullness of state protectionism.....

...so you fully understand this tightrope nature, and fully understand that overall running costs, such as, and in particular energy costs, has skyrocketed over the last couple of years.....

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Ah now, that really depends on the gravy generosity.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

The clue is in the name, value added tax.

Restaurant charged €10 + VAT at 13.5% = €11.35

VAT reduced to 9%. Restaurant continued to charge €11.35. Price now became €10.41 + VAT.

VAT rate goes back to 13.5%. Restaurant now charges €12.88

If restaurants are shutting it is not because of VAT, or if it is, they shouldn't have pocketed the difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Emblematic

I think most of our economic policy ideas date back to the 1980s when pure GDP growth and job creation and inward investment made a lot of sense. The problem is that now, from the perspective of the ordinary person, these polices mainly serve to push up prices and the cost of living though there are some people at the top that hugely benefit from inflated asset prices and rents.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

I'm not singling them out, just using them for an example of food trucks prices.

€16 is a lot for some rice out of a styrofoam container on the side of the road.

Carvery's are very comforting because they remind one of Mama's Sunday roast.

I enjoy the coma afterwards also.

...yea we re in trouble, but nobody really seems to know what to do next, and the entities, established powers etc, in so called power, are simply pushing ahead with what they only know, and its not gonna work. half the planet is now entering important election cycles, and its clearly obvious, these established entities are in serious trouble, theyre gonna get hammered, and theyre not really understanding why...

...we need radical rethinking, but we still dont understand what that needs to be, or how to do it....

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Scipri0

Even just ordering from a takeaway like a Chips, Cheese & Curry in my local place is €6.50! I don't eat much takeaway stuff and with prices like that you wouldn't want to!. McDonald's raised their prices about three/four times in a year and their profits are massive, They're just being greedy

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Madd002

I beg to differ we regularly go to an old style hotel in small village over 50yrs old. Daily menu has 6 starters 6 dinners 6 desserts. Husband of owner has his own farm /butchers all meat produce comes from him & local suppliers. it's always packed with farmers builders during wk & locals from 2 bordering counties at wkends. The evening menu is more fine dining.

our usual bill is:

Turkey/ham €12

Beef €12

Kids 1/2 dinner €7 (14yrs,he comes sometimes) meat is only half size.

Dinner is served on plate with the meat a portion of mashed carrots&parsnips with a roastie. Server comes with an individual tray of mash/cabbage and serves us

On Sunday's garlic potatoes are complimentary.

Sticky toffee pudding €5.50 with ice cream / cream ( they have their own ice cream machine (we also share as its a big one)

2 pints coors €11 - I have miwadi (don't drink)

Both of us bill is 41.50 we usually leave a €5 tip so €46.50 all in

For 3 of us its €48.50 we'll round to €55 inc tip.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Emblematic

The Government here don't really understand what is going on and have a mishmash of (often contradictory) mitigation measures that alleviate the worst effects of their policies for some groups, but do not get to the route of the problem.

I think here we're likely to enter a quasi-Marxist phase with Sinn Fein. This too will not solve problem but rather create new ones. It may be necessary, however, to go through this phase before real solutions can be thought up and implemented.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭SteM

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭ULEZ23

if money is tight you do your best to make things special, sounds like you would make a deal out of it and prefer to spoil it rather than being a grown up. Romantic date nights are about the company and environment, not all materialistic with champagne and lobster.

do you apply the same logic to buying a car? Take the partner to a showroom and list out the stuff they are not allowed have and treat them like a child?

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Madd002

I think it depends who's running the place and how much they value their customers. Some of the waiting staff are there over 20yrs always smiling so I'm sure their good to work for also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Its a stage of life the OP will be amazed how much money they have once the children are off the books.

You're the one that brought up early bird menus. I just googled one locally and they are the ones with the conditions, I'm not setting any conditions. I've already posted on thread how myself and my wife treat ourselves, we cook together and enjoy our meal together. I'd prefer to buy decent fish or meat with a decent bottle of wine, cook it and eat it when we both want than go to an early bird and order from a limited menu. Our way will still be cheaper.

Not sure what you're babbling about a car for so I won't respond to that, Motors forum is that way->

• Registered Users Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

We would eat out a few times a year but it would be something high-end I am a good cook so it has to be something very good to impress me.

As for date night dinners, sometimes it is a hasel to go out, especially in the winter I would rather have the fire on a nice bottle of wine, chill out to music turn off the TV talk nonsense. I would do something like a crab/salmon starter, then either garlic chili prawns or a streak followed by either lemon tart or chocolate mousses.

Over Christmas, we eat out in the local pub a few times and the food is very good for pub food mains about 16 good value, it seems to be the mid-range restaurants that have become very expensive.

..i some how doubt we ll move towards marxism, as i suspect nobody even knows what marxism even means in the modern world, including sf, and including myself, if sf even manage to form a government, and im not even convinced of that either, they ll have to do so with ff, so i wouldnt be worrying about maxism at all, but you can be damn sure, our most critical issues such as housing will most definitely not be resolved under that government either, and yes, whatever will be tried, will introduce its own set of problems....it a runway train now....

id be interested in hearing what Marxist ideas you think maybe introduced by sf, as ive no idea of it, nor real interest either?

yup, the rest of decade is looking shaky to say the least, and not just here either, this will be a year of reckoning of sorts, and even more uncertainty, and instability will be the result.....

warehoused debt during covid will also be unwarehoused this year, so......

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭taratee

No it's not. However those meals were €7 when I bought them last and that was post pandemic. That is one hell of a jump in price.

...energy prices can easily account for most of that.....

I think pubs keep their prices low to attract people and then make their money on drinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,500 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

yeah fair point, its a silly amount for a takeway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

Something’s not adding up to me though.

I thought more people in the country was supposed to keep thing’s like hospitality & pub’s open with More footfall & customers?

Suppose on the plus side Lidl & Aldi are doing very well.

Advertisement