Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭mauries wigs

Has Leo varadkar ever even met a “refugee”?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,955 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I am not debating any of that. I asked 2 posters whether all 100k Ukrainians should be sent home. One did not respond, the other said we need to identify the ones not affected by the war. I am trying to get further info on that.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭nolivesmatter

The Taoiseach we got but nobody asked for. Twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

You asked for an explanation as though I hadn’t provided one already.

You asked me did I still stand by my claim.

I wouldn’t have had to repeat myself if you hadn’t asked me to do so.

Now perhaps you could rebut the points made, because they’re based upon reality, whereas all you’ve got is your disgust at what you see is being done to your country, as if anyone outside of your own head should give a shiny shyte for how your country disgusts you 🙄

BP is perfect. I just lose interest quickly.

Thanks for the response. I have never asked that question before. The thread title is about Zero refugees so are ye breaking your own rules here?

As Maniacs said, unaffected people are hard to define. Kiev folks for example?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭malinheader

To tell you the truth I didn't read half the waffle, life's to short. Anyway anyone who seriously thinks immigrants are having no affect on services can't really be taken seriously.

Hard to find surely Cluedo when there is no desire by a government to find them. Anyhow Ukrainians are not my biggest concern. Bogus asylum seekers with no documentation are the biggest problem we need to solve. Some maniacs might even think there is no bogus ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭riddles

If you don’t have documentation are you not returned on the next available flight back to where you came from?

should it also be the law you cannot claim international protection without a valid passport?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭Field east

So, the logic is , based on that post, that all Taoiseach, bar Varadkar, were asked for!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

It's important that Ireland support the Ukrainian refugees as much as possible.

Ukrainians are the very definition of real asylum applicants as opposed to applications from people coming from safe countries.

These are the applications that should be scrutinized. Not the Ukrainians.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭mauries wigs

You’re obviously reading what’s written, let’s not play silly beggars. You don’t like what’s written, but that’s entirely your own business. The facts are that the provision of public services has never been based on anyone’s immigration status, and successive Irish Governments have been reluctant to invest in public services, preferring to privatise public services instead, which is why we are where we’re at now.

When it was instantiated 20 years ago, Direct Provision was already being criticised as an inadequate and ineffective means to provide support for people seeking asylum. Private interests took precedence over public interests, and we are where we’re at now.

Current circumstances didn’t develop overnight, it’s just you were never affected by them before. Other people were, and now you’re looking for their support when under normal circumstances you wouldn’t have looked twice at them when they needed your support. That’s why you’re not getting the support you need now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Augme

Yep, it was the crises actors. Or wait, was an asylum seeker? No hang on, I've got it. It was the hotel owners themselves. No No, that doesn't make sense. It was a Green party member. No, sorry, it must have been Roderic himself. That's it isn't it?

So hang on, you're fine with the 100k+ Ukrainians, they're not the problem. But it's the circa 10k with no passports who are the ones causing such havoc on our services? Interesting logic.

For the last time Jack as I'm getting scunnered trying to explain.

Every person coming into the country is a strain on services. How can services ever catch up and be viable services when the population is being increased quicker than services can be rectified or put in place.

I could start putting out facts and figures about houses built and hospital beds, Gp places but I think I'm flogging a dead house with you.

Sorry Jack, maybe some day you will figure it out.

Yes no documentation is very worrying for me and I have no issues with Ukrainians fleeing from war.

I leave it at that because you seem to be getting very worked up. Something about fair City and something. I hope you're OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Lofidelity

Ballaghaderreen is in Co. Roscommon, not Mayo. You are the only one confused.

If you dont even know that you're not gonna know the house estates there. But then, you're just trying to save face now. See below.

https://www.theremcollgroup.com/projects/river-oaks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Augme

Great thanks, getting a good laugh for your posts. What vetting happened with the Ukrainians?

Every person coming into the country is a strain on services.

This is where you’re fundamentally mistaken. Every person coming into the country isn’t a strain on services, they’re not putting a strain on services they don’t use, and they’re not putting any EXTRA strain, on services which are already fundamentally underfunded and poorly managed.

How can services ever catch up and be viable services when the population is being increased quicker than services can be rectified or put in place.

They can’t, and that’s a feature of public services, not a flaw. Public services will never be comparable on the same basis as privately provided services. It’s silly to expect that they could ever be comparable without significant investment, and that’s not going to happen because it would be political suicide for any Government or political party to even attempt to do it. It would require raising taxation levels to the levels they were at in the 80s when Charlie told bedtime stories about the Irish people already living beyond our means. He was another self-serving shyster.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,334 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Being a strain on services is a given with refugees. They arrive with no money or possessions and they are a net loss to the exchequer. But every country accepts this - the idea is that we help them because it is 'the right thing to do'. No different to you or me donating money to a charity or the government paying for overseas aid.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,689 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

• Advertisement

Now now calm down, everyone take a breath. I'm feeling very relaxed this evening now we seem to have a party with alot of good proposals. Thank god there's a party now for me to vote for.

So tell me please when is enough enough. How many can this country take. Remember were down to tents and dunnes vouchers at the moment and destroying our whole tourism economy by filling hotels and guest Houses etc. So how many is enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,044 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

But when they work they are contributing the economy so they can't be described then as a loss to the exchequer

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭Field east

What is their hidden agenda then? I will put forward the following Three but the list can be added to :-

(1) rent-a- crowd that use the refugee situation to maximise As much difficulty as is possible for the establishment Eg government , the guards, etc. this would include serial objectors

(2). A few locals that feel their area will be over run and that they do not want to be discomoded, etc, etc, - do not want their comfort zone tampered with

(3) refugee/ Ukranian situation being used as pawns to force Local/ national gov to invest in infrastructure facilities and Human Resources in their areas.

When they work, what about IF they don't work. Benefits????

Isn't it Ukraine 100k and IPA seekers 25k? Aren't the Ukrainian using up the considerable majority of accommodation and services?

Do you want the government to start analysing the 100k Ukrainians to determine which ones are "affected"?

I am all for a protest and a cause but I need to understand the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,289 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Bit out of the loop today but I've just seen reported by the Examiner that the Government are considering buying a student housing complex in Cork City for use to house Asylum Seekers. 400 students are accommodated at the complex.

And when I thought that buying the hotel in Roscrea was peak stupidity... Looks like Government are turning it into a fine art form.

They will be politically slaughtered if this goes through.

Post edited by MrMusician18 on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭tom23

waste of time asking that question. There will never be ‘enough’ for folks that peddle that ideology, they will always want more and more. And you are right, immigration does have a strain on services. **** right it does. why is the government making promises for towns like extra gardaí and Gp’s, even them narcissistic **** know that to be the case. Regardless if that service is shite, brilliant or scalable. Christ just go to an A&E any night to see the demographic breakdown. People on here living in wonderland.

• Advertisement

Diversity isn't your strength. It lowers your wages, marginalises your culture ,increases your crime, fills your hospitals,occupies your housing, ruins your schools, consumes your taxes, tightens your laws,restricts your freedoms, endangers your children and calls you racist.

Advertisement