Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Name a song you heard a cover of before you heard the original of.

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,571 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

of course his vocal delivery has suffered; but i assume we're talking about those classics as they were originally recorded, not as they might be performed now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,571 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i remember bono talking about how when he and dylan recorded the vocals for U2's 'love rescue me', he said he learned more about singing and phrasing in that one session than he had known before.

(dylan's 'people' subsequently rang up and revoked permission for U2 to use his performance in the song - i don't know if dylan's vocal track ever subsequently resurfaced)

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭gigantic09

Heard Will to powers baby I love your way/freebird long before I heard Peter Framptons original of the former.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

• Registered Users Posts: 24,678 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,542 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Never heard that story, but it might have been connected to Dylan's work with the Wilburys around that time.

There was speculation that it might have been the theme of the song - about a man whom others looked up to and treated like a saviour but whose own life was a mess. That it may have been too close to the bone for Dylan.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭cml387

Did we have "It Must Be Love" by Madness? I thought was one of theirs but is by Labi Siffre

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Happiness is a warm gun.

Thought it was an original Breeders song for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭lumphammer2

There is no doubt ... Dylan can be great and he's in my top 10 of all time ... but he also has been poor ... and this is the case of all artists ... I have a good few of his albums and they vary ... seen him live a few times mostly he was good but I saw 2 poor shows where he didn't even try .... his 1960s material is above the law ... some of the greatest music ever made ... but some of his 1970s material is mediocre and generic ... Dylan's folk and blues are his forte imv ... he could write great classics as well as cover others' greats ... he had/has a genuine and deep knowledge of music ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,248 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

Ever Fallen In Love by Fine Young Cannibals (1987)

Original by Buzzcocks (1978)

I love both versions

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭lordleitrim

I'm embarrassed to say one was Tiffany's cover of The Beatles "I Saw Her Standing There" back in 1988 when i was a pre-teen. (Her version just changed Her to Him) . Wikipedia has just informed me that her version reached Number 4 in the Irish charts back in 1988!!

As a side note, there were a lot of advert jingles I heard in the 80s that I assumed as a child were the original song specific to the advert until I belatedly realised they were covers or samples of original artists. I thought Queen's Don't Stop Me Now was a Club Orange song, Roxy Music's Let's Stick Together was a Special K song, Mama Cass' Getting Better was a Supervalu song and many more....

IMHO his best album landed midway through the 70s, 'blood on the tracks'.

not an album which has spawned too many covers.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

On Dylan, I thought To Make You Feel My Love was an Adele song and not a cover of Bob Dylan.

i remember a friend getting cross me years ago for insisting 'don't let it bring you down' was a neil young song - she was insisting it was saint etienne.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,542 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Nice version by Pete Yorn from the Shrek 2 soundtrack (best soundtrack ever, seriously, Tom Waits, Nick Cave, Eels and more)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,836 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Desire was also from the mid 70s, one of the greatest albums of all time. Not sure where this idea that his 70s output was "mediocre and generic" is coming from.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

also great

Self Portrait (1970) - check out the Bootleg Series Vol 10 box

New Morning (1970)

Slow Train Coming (1979)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,535 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I consider myself a Dylan fan , but the last time I saw him I could hardly make out what song he was singing.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

I actually thought that was a U2 song.

and speaking of whom, I used to also think their Christmas song “baby please come home” was actually their song also

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

saw U2 singing Maggie’s Farm at Self Aid. Thought it was their song & it was about Maggie Thatcher. Didn’t hear the original until 1988.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,535 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I thought that too , and that it was about emigrating to England. Shortly after I went a a musical journey down Bob Dylans albums and realised who wrote it .

i only found out a few years ago that the original version of 'the greatest love of all' was by george benson.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,944 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

Was going through some 45s last night and pulled out this one. But back in the 80s I thought it was Kylie, aka Stock, Aitken and Waterman.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭lumphammer2

Was listening to a few of the originals of songs Elvis did ....

That's alright Mama and My baby left me ... Arthur Crudup ... and So glad you're mine too ....

Hound dog ... Big Mama Thornton ...

Tomorrow never comes .... Ernest Tubb ...

Blue moon of Kentucky and Little cabin .... Bill Monroe ...

I gotta know .... of all people! Cliff Richard .... must be a first for a UK rocker being covered by Elvis! ...

Money honey ... the Drifters before they went cabaret ....

Whole lotta shakin' goin' on ... Big Maybelle ...

Milk cow blues boogie ... Kokomo Arnold ...

Your cheatin' heart and Lonesome I could cry ... Hank Williams ...

Reconsider baby ... Lowell Fulsom/n ....

My way ... Sinatra I presume ... or Eddie Cochran? ...

Have I told you lately .... Gene Autry or Moon Mulligan ...

Pieces of my life ... Charlie Rich ...

Latest flame ... Del Shannon ...

He'll have to go ... Jim Reeves ...

Love letters .. Nat King Cole ...

Good rockin' tonight - Roy Brown ...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,901 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

May You Never by the late great John Martyn,

first heard Paul Weller do a cover in the Olympia duetting with a then up and coming songwriter going by the nickname Tippi…. A Scottish songwriter Yvonne Tipping…she had a good voice but herself not the songs but theirs was a nice version.

became a John Martyn fan, saw his last ever gig before he died , Vicar St…back in I think ‘13…. His guitar playing was incredible, but his voice absolutely fecked, years boozing and other health problems saw him brought out in a wheelchair, massively overweight, drinking some concoction from what looked like and probably was a large flower vase.

He had his leg amputated in 2003, hence the wheelchair. Died in 2009.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭jasonb

Well that's an excellent find, thanks! And a quick google also tells me that the Guitarist and Bass player in that section are Chas & Dave! 😃

• Advertisement

Wow that makes even better , Eminem featuring chas n dave 😀

Advertisement