Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Home FAQ

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭dball

Any way of listening to a show from the "Listen back" option from the RTE Radio Player app .

I can listen to it on my phone - no problem but I want to stream it to a smart speaker. Lenovo Smart Alarm Clock - This has a built in hey Google feature.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,458 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

If it's available as a podcast, you can "cast" it to a google speaker.

For example, I've streamed some Brendan O'Connor content and Playback on demand on my Google speakers.

We play Playback on Saturday morning from a podcast instead of live radio because it doesn't have any ads (Playback is released as a podcast the day before it airs on the radio)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭dball

I think you are right, they've obviously restricted the playback of music shows

it's only available as a listen back option and not as a podcast.

I've just figured out that i can use the CAST option from my phone to play it but it's quality is poor

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭timetogo1

My google devices are talking to me in a US accent now when we ask them to set an alarm.

For all other queries / tasks it answers in the normal more British accent that we have it set to . I checked the settings in Google Home and it's set to the accent we had it normally set to.

Anybody else have this or now how to fixt it. It's a first world problem but it's a bit annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

I've not encountered that on the Hub or smart speakers, but on several occasions previously when using Google Maps on the phone for navigation, it switched from British female voice (the default) to nasal American voice and back again - once or twice, on the same roundabout! It's been a few years since it last happened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

I had it change to an indian female accent randomly a few times, was hilarious, never figured out why, hasn't done it in a while

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭fman

The same rte problem has come back for me overnight. Again they will play in the TuneIn app on my phone but can't be cast or played by voice commands from the devices.

Edit: scratch that, seems to be a different TuneIn/Google issue I'm having, not just Rte specific.

Post edited by fman on

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭nialldinho

Same here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭wait4me

Anybody's Home app acting up? My app loads but promptly closes down. This has just started to happen. (My Phone is OnePlus 8). The problem for me is that my Nest Doorbell is linked to the app so now I have little/no control over it. Google Home is becoming a bit of a pain.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,224 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Asked about the town in Wales with the longest name. She did a decent job.

Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch

• Advertisement

Yes having the problem with rte, also causes a knock on problem.

If I try to play rte gold, it goes through the motions and eventually does nothing. But if I try to play something else after that, it won't work. Need to tell it to stop after the failed rte attempt.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭majo

All the RTE radio stations are gone from Tune In again today. Second time in two weeks!

Lol! That's impressive! Now, if only she could get "Take the ramp onto the M50 labelled 'O Dheas'"...

Confirmed, all my RTE stations gone again. I refuse to listen to Ray Foley!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭oranbhoy67

ask the longest in the world its even better :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,440 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

What's pretty poor is struggling with ON and OFF instruction. Like. Really?

RTE Radio 1 working again for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,681 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

How do I set it so that the hub shows timers even when the radio is on? Like I'm listening to the radio but have 2 timers set but it's showing what's on the radio?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

My method, when cooking, is to shout at the hub from the far side of the kitchen, "Hey Google, keep showing the timers!", but they still only last for a few seconds before reverting to the radio display, so if you find an answer, please let us know!

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭SierraTango

Has the voice on anyone's nest hubs just changed. Mines gone from UK to US for both me and the wife. Haven't changed settings on it but default option now selected. Will change back and see if it lasts. Google really trying my patience of late.

• Advertisement

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭SierraTango

Yeah I know but surely the point of settings is to stay the same and not randomly change back to defaults.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,722 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Anyone else's speakers recently become incapable of playing what's asked?

Just the last couple of weeks. I can go into my Google activity and see that it's understanding me perfectly. I'll say "Play the album XXXX by YYYY" but just get something else altogether

Standard stuff I'm asking for too, nothing obscure. I can find it on YouTube music on my phone and cast it, but obviously that kind of defeats the purpose of the speaker

For example...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

Googles ability to understand what I am saying seems to have dropped off a lot in the last few months.

Also it frequently seems have heard me but just doesn't do anything.

More specifically, on the Google Hub Max, if I ask it to stream a BBC radio station, it usually works and starts streaming on BBC Sounds but then it takes the first few sentences of whatever is playing on the radio as a command and comes back with "I don't know but I found the following on such and such site" or some other random crap.

I used to find it useful but now not so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,354 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

There is a google home hub thingy in my house. I don't use it, but because I'm on the same wifi network, I always see the now playing on my phone. I have tried to figure out how to hide this on my phone permanently (I can swipe it away, but that only lasts until the next time somebody plays something on the home hub) - can anyone help here?

There's a setting in the Google home app for the device itself. "Recognition and sharing".

• Registered Users Posts: 14,966 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I see there's 17 features set to be removed from our smart devices, because they are under used:

https://www.theverge.com/2024/1/11/24034262/google-assistant-removes-17-features-layoffs-pixel-voice-commands

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

Never trust google to maintain a service.

Never used any of those features. No great loss.

• Advertisement

Any new features coming? Seems like it hasn't improved in 5 years.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Advertisement