Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ennis Limerick rail line

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭Glaceon

Mallow-Tralee has passing loops and two platforms at all stations except Millstreet.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

There's usually a few on each line, generally larger stations.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

Well on that line you have Ennis and Gort at the moment but it will vary.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Ok, thanks, I can now see why a loop would be helpful in Sixmilebridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Does anyone know why there are delays around Sixmilebridge at the moment?

In the last few weeks, the train has approached and departed Sixmilebridge at a much slower speed than normal. Makes up a bit of time elsewhere but still arrives in Ennis/Limerick about 3-5 minutes late now. Normally arrived a few minutes early before this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,559 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Presumably a temporary speed restriction (TSR).

I’ve discovered why there is indeed a TSR around Sixmilebridge. Bonkers.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭seekers

Unbelievable. Has there been any further news on the new station at Moyross?

I see that Irish Rail are going to spend €300,000 and €400,000 on studies and plans to enhance capacity on the Ennis Limerick line.

https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/local-news/1255802/iarnrod-eireann-to-enhance-capacity-on-limerick-ennis-rail-services.html

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Surely they know themselves what must be done to increase capacity?

I mean, they have decades of experience?

• Advertisement

bus transfers between Limerick, sixmilebridge and Ennis a due to operational issues tomorrow on all services

Anyone know the reason why? Irish rail being a bit cagey on details. No known bridge strike and no engineering works scheduled. I took the train yesterday morning but was bussed back in the evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Tiernster7

Sinking track

from what I hear, it sunk at the River Fergus Bridge. Travelled to Ennis last night, it seems very even with a speed restriction. not as slow as Sixmilebridge was.

Still no word on the Moyross Station?

Not a peep! Atkins were supposed to have selected the site by the end of H1 this year so presumably should hear something soon. I would expect a planning application to be lodged before end of year to allow for that run its course and then to sort tenders etc and crack on with construction to be ready for a 2025 opening.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

That's a very, very optimistic timeline.

After a site is selected, a station will have to be designed. That is not happening before the end of the year. When it does to go ABP, they're taking close to two years to process infrastructural applications these days. Then construction will have to go out to tender. That usually takes around a year. Then construction will take at least a year. The best I could see is a 2028 opening. If it ever actually gets built.

Could a case be made for a direct train Limerick to Dublin via Ennis and Gort without changing in Athenry

I’ve often travelled from Heuston to Colbert in less than 2 hours which includes a change at Limerick Junction.

With the current state of the line between Limerick and Athenry, Id fail to see how you could make it an attractive option when comparing it with the Cork line. Any upgrade WRC receives is likely to be matched on the Cork-Dublin mainline so it’ll no doubt always be the main route to Dublin.

I do know of a few options where Ennis to Dublin is quicker via Athenry than Limerick/Limerick Junction

• Advertisement

it would only really be suitable for the stations Ennis to Craughwell but would avoid changing trains. and Galway station struggles with platform availability at busy times. I think that's why the loop gets used.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,559 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

The redevelopment of Galway station has been approved by the NTA and will see the number of platforms increase to five.

it could do with it but I'm hearing that for most of the last 20 years. A few years ago, there was a post for unusual workings on irish rail and there was one train on Sundays that used platform 2 in Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 nigra

Interesting article in the Limerick Post on the fairly dramatic increase in numbers travelling on the Ennis- Limerick line these days.

https://www.limerickpost.ie/2023/10/15/limerick-train-travel-shows-significant-increase/

The article states that the number of passengers carried on rail services between Limerick and Ennis during the first six months of 2023 was up 21 per cent on the total figure for 2019. If that trend were to continue then the line in 2023 will carry in excess of double 2019s annual total passengers. Obviously at first glance this seems a success story, but is there any other explanation for the large increase? was 2019 a particularly poor year for ridership (was there a closed line, flooding Ballycar etc)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

88k a year is still pretty low seeing as there are circa 30k vehicle movements a day on the N/M18 between Limerick and Ennis. That averages 240 passengers a day or 13 per train. Yes it's an improvement, but it's not the success story the article makes it out to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭ohographite

It's a bit unclear what the figures in the article actually are. Are they only counting the number of passengers using the line to travel from Limerick to Ennis, or are they also counting passengers using the line to make different journeys such as Dublin to Ennis or Limerick to Galway?

It's also unclear if they count a passenger who makes a return journey as one passenger or two separate passengers.

If you have a look at the 2022 National Heavy Rail Census, you can see the total number of boardings and alightings in Ennis Station on each annual census day since 2013, and the boardings and alightings combined on every census day shown add up to more than 240 passengers a day, which is the figure given by the Limerick Post article of the number of passengers "carried on rail services between Limerick and Ennis."

So I'm not sure what to think about this.

It's certainly busier than it was this time last year but not as if every train is jammed. It's probably 20% busier at max at peak times. With the single track which restricts frequency and a 40 minute journey time, it's still not the most attractive option for commuters.

It's bonkers that Sixmilebridge which was only opened in 2010 has one platform/no passing loop.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,583 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Badly needed. Bit of a claustrophobic little kip.

More like something you would expect from a little market town station rather than a city.

Some absolutely awful looking additions made over the years to the surrounding area and hotel too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

Plenty of space there to put in a loop and second platform.

Could do with upgrading the approach to Limerick station too. Always seems to be slow when it joins the mainline.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Tiernster7

Almost feel like I am jinxing things... but does anyone know were flood works put in place in Bally car, plenty of water about but so far not actually on the track

Advertisement