Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,339 ✭✭✭jmreire

And especially after Putin's major investment in the military. Which I'm sure included winter quality footwear for the troops? But like everything else in Putin's corrupt Russia, a bit of "shrinkage" here, a little bit there......and it all adds up to what we are seeing in what the troops on the front lines are wearing. (or more likely, what they are not wearing)

He made that comment 7 days into the war. It was fairly accurate at the time. The UAF suffered major losses in the opening days of the war. Look at the dates:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_aircraft_losses_during_the_Russo-Ukrainian_War

They only have a functioning air force today due to foreign donations, the pledges and deliveries of which came after he made that statement. They have received over 110 aircraft (fixed wing + rotor) to date - SU-25s, MiG-29s etc - plus a lot of spare parts and equipment for their Soviet stuff. They also did not begin to receive Bayraktars until maybe 1 month later.

"The Ukrainian Air Force has been eliminated" is an overly-simplistic statement but he wasn't far wrong at the time and most experts said similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,823 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Well, they're fine for keeping civillians in check or dealing with badly armed rebels etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭drop table Users

Google his name and then look at the articles especially in German media

there is not a single one where this Austrian turdicle is not referred to as “military expert” in either title or the article itself

example from shortly before the war where he claims half of Ukraine will fall

He is a star in the pro Russian circles which is why they regularly wheel him out, pity he didn’t predict 30x Afghanistan loses in 5x the time for Russia

• Registered Users Posts: 10,015 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Exactly zero experience in combat. Officers are parasitical organisms at the best of times, he's one in a storied tradition of Colonels talking out of their arse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭glen123

My original post was in response to how dare Russia have fun when their men are on the front line and I showed with my example that the same goes on in Ukraine. That's all. I personally cannot say whether I am happy or not about both countries' New Year's tv simply because I wasn't expecting anything less or more from either. In both places human life has a value close to zero amongst those at the top :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,453 ✭✭✭Field east

I often wonder how many of the contributors to this thread - the war in UKr - have any understanding of what is happening there and from an objective perspective. I am no expert in these matters but I think that I have a fair grasp of the overall situation even as an ‘armchair’ contributor

one BIG thing that flummoxed me is the thought that - from a geographical perspective- UKr has failed because it made practically no headway since the start of the spring offensive ie/eg no net land has been won over. So, I. Other words , the front line has not moved.

what is not considered by most are the following three points which are also critical re winning or losing and their effects by which we can only guess, namely :-

(1) how much damage has UKr caused behind the front lines - to roads , bridges, ports , arms depots, personnel concentrations, army related buildings, etc, etc, etc. - and will cause as time goes on . I am surprised why more of it is not happening. Maybe it’s part of a long term strategy and I will leave it there

(2) there is a lot of attrition daily on/ near the front lines . Ukr seems to be more careful than Ru in protecting army personnel there and UKr seems to very carefully targeting what it plans to hit to maximise damage - be it vehicles or personnel. I can see UKr being quite happy for the front line to stay where it is - and even let the Ru move it a bit as long as the loss / hit ratio is significantly in their favour.

(3) The effect that (1) and (2) has on both sides re moral . IMO the typical Ru soldier - especially those on the front lines do NOT want to be there and do not want to be in the army anyway because of fear of getting injured and most do not know what they are really fighting for. On the UKr side it’s substantially the opposite

in summary, there is a lot of major ‘stuff’ happening re the above three points where UKr has the upper hand and can even do more ‘damage’ when it gets the F 16s’ etc, etc. AND THE ACTUAL FRONT DOES NOT EVEN COME INTO IT

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,263 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

OK, so in your professional judgement, what did the good Colonel get wrong in this video?

I watched the whole thing, and I can find nothing to disagree with. Indeed, the Cobra comparison sprung to my mind even before he brought it up.

As for other concerns he mentioned, I gave a presentation at US Army Futures Command a couple weeks back and mentioned some of the exact same problems. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOxF-wfxxMw

For example, the importance and difficulty of SOSRA I mention at 1:30:47, and my concerns that the Ukrainians are not correctly conducting it at 1:41:07. Similarly, the problems of constant observation is brought up by Col Reisner, I bring it up at 1:13:20

The bottom line is that whatever you want to think of him, the assessment in his video seems correct. The Ukrainians have ended up in a self-admitted stalemate situation, and the reasons he provided for how Ukraine ended up in the situation are valid. Not liking the conclusions doesn't make them wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,453 ✭✭✭Field east

lets assume that Ru can produce enough for its troops - an aspect you are questioning. It CAN produce , but DOES it produce enough and IF IT DOES are the items distributed to the correct people and does the minor matter of CORRUPTION kept OUT OF IT while all this is happening?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭thomil

Never mind, that guy is not worth responding to.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Everything he has said is true , along with numerous other western military analysts, but on this thread that's a big no no depending on the post count, they can't or won't dispute it ,

This time last year people were slagging the Russians digging trenches, minefields and installing dragons teeth, only this week the Ukrainians have actually started digging their own multilayer defences , Just as the Russians did this time last year,

And yet he's right....

Do tell what exactly is he spoofing about he's been pretty much on the ball with his commentary,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭zv2

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

Seems the majority of German leopard 2s given last year are out of service or lost, the Ukrainians want the Germans to increase there capacity in Lithuania to repair vehicles quicker...

Russia is still exporting large quantities of oil around the world. In the war of independence a plan was drawn up to plant bombs on british export ships to increase the pressure on the british Government. Would Ukraine consider such an idea? Perhaps undersea drones etc.?

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Reportedly it was full of NATO general's and bio weapon scientists.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Mike3549

• Advertisement

Well with all of this Brics currency business, and getting mixed up with Indian Rupees, Russian Ruble, Chinese Remimbi,, Bitcoin etc. It could well be when it's all unwound, India may well have 6'000 Russian Tanks in its possession, but has Putin been paid yet for his tanks???

On that point re all the same at the top, Russian or Ukrainian, we will have to differ. With Putin, he's completely detached from what's happening on the ground with his people. He sent 360'000 of them to their deaths and caused a further 700.000 of them to be injured, to the extent that most of them will never live a normal life again. He's planning a further mobilization of at least 300'000 Russian males, once the election is over with. He's never been even remotely near Donbass, let alone on the front lines, He's a murderous bastard, check how many people who have been killed on his orders? How many Russians are in prison for speaking out against him? Putin has full control over what he's doing and can stop it whenever he wants.

Zelensky is the complete opposite. He's fighting because he has to fight, He stayed even when he was offered a safe way out of Ukraine. He' supports his people each and every way he can, He's a frequent visitor to the front lines, and elsewhere, There's a saying " Cometh the hour, cometh the man". Rarely has that saying been matched to the man, but it's made for Zelensky. Both men, Putin and Zelensky, will be well remembered in the history books, bur for diametrically opposed reasons, Zelensky the hero, and Putin the monster.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭wandererz

https://novayagazeta.eu/articles/2024/01/02/nasilstvennaia-mobilizatsiia

use translate on page

If Russia has endless manpower then why are they resorting to grabbing non Russians celebrating New Year’s Eve and sending them to die?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭rogber

The opposite is equally true though. The 3 day war prophecy was way off target, likewise all the posters here saying since May 2022 Russia would run out of ammunition in a few weeks and predicting every square centimetre of lost territory would be regained in 2023 while the Russian army fled back to Moscow has also turned out to be wildly inaccurate.

Both sides have repeatedly assessed the other side's endurance and capabilities incorrectly, the simple fact is that for over a year now, despite all the suffering, neither side has made significant progress and there is little sign this will change in the next months.

@Field east "(1) how much damage has UKr caused behind the front lines - to roads , bridges, ports , arms depots"

I recently read 306 depos for 2023. That's almost one every day.

You deflected from the article tho and went off on an unrelated rant

why?

the question stands if Russia has endless manpower why do they need to gang press foreigners, which btw I am fairly sure is another war crime

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭glen123

This is your personal opinion. However if you went to Ukraine and spoke to people or managed to get some of the refugees here in Ireland to talk to you honestly, without being politically correct and saying what Europeans want to hear, you'd find that Zelensky has very little support and very few think he is a hero. Russian speaking population is allergic to him because of the the language laws alone he signed being Russian speaking himself. Western Ukraine population is allergic to both him and the East/South Russian speaking population because they couldn't care less about Crimea and Donbas as they consider them traitors. You'd be surprised how many people in the country, especially older population, couldn't care less who sits on Bankova - whether it's Zelenky, Poroshenko or some Putin puppet...because in their opinion they are all the same - greedy b******s.

As for mobilization, same is planned in Ukraine. In fact, the new Defense minister is implementing a system similar to Russian one - to mobilize people electronically as opposed to closing off streets in the attempt to catch as many men as possible and stick a piece of paper into their hands. Many Ukrainian soldiers are fighting for nearly 2 years because Ukraine has run out of volunteers that want to fight for their country (not my words, but General Marchenko's from his interview one week ago).

Why do you think in the country of 40 odd million people there are no more volunteers that want to fight? Surely Zelensky's hero status and his appearances here and there near the front line should be enough to inspire a few hundred thousand of men to loose their lives for him :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,203 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Must be irritating for some that a Russian puppet is not in charge of Ukraine alright and that the Russian army has to execute Ukraine supporters in the occupied areas to maintain control.

• Advertisement

I find it interesting that they are trying to deflect and downplay higher up the thread the news from Russian media that Russia is now forcibly rounding up foreigners to be shipped to the front

Must be running out of men in occupied territories to feed into the chipper

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement