Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you good to call things by their new name?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,536 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

This bloody thread has put me in a mood for a Marathon 😡😡😄

• Registered Users Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭emo72

I remember when "the pipe" was cut off and then you'd only have rte1. Bad aul days they were.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭growleaves

Had a taxi driver recently who referred to Pearse Station as Westland Row Station (what it had been called prior to 1966).

When I asked him about it he said he still uses the name that he remembers from his childhood.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Completely forgot about 5 Star- there was one in Rathmines I know that - where else did they exist do you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,470 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

No one can convince me the tv changer should be referred to as the remote control.

This isn't Star Trek.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Nicest ever. Supposed to be relaunched but seems to be a procession of false dawns.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,867 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I'd rather retain such names as it annoys the right people. Plus I dislike the idea of erasing our colonial past and pretending it never happened.

parents used to call Connolly Amiens st - funny though they always said Heuston not Kingsbridge - both of course changed names in 1966

Two different chocolate titans, each with their own chocolaty goodness 😀

An article on Two and Two- rumours it was to make a comeback

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

On radio stations, the presenters have to use the sponsored name.. bord gais energy theatre, Aviva etc.

If I was working on radio, I would outright refuse to do this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Happyhouse22

Interesting the Aviva stadium will be called Dublin Arena and not Lansdowne road during Euro 2028.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,064 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

If I was working on radio, I would outright refuse to do this.

And that would be the end of your on air radio career.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,093 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

It's still Bruce Jenner to me god dammit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

Virgin Media TV sent a great response to Twitter, after the re-brand to X.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,163 ✭✭✭✭looksee

• Registered Users Posts: 2,521 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Happens in every sport with a major tournament. Etihad will be city of Manchester stadium. Uefa will effectively have complete control over those stadiums for the tournament and they might be sponsored by a different insurance company/airline etc.

There was/is an estate in Churchtown/Rathfarnham called Mountain View-it’s a 1960s former council estate - its name changed from Holylands in the early 80s because it was a notorious hotspot for trouble- the usual few bad eggs making misery for the majority good eggs.

Its mad to see houses there now going for over 400k - I still call it holylands 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭GAAcailin

I always say Belfield, my kids give out to me and say it’s UCD; Carysfort is UCD too. Think Belfield is more accurate 😜

• Registered Users Posts: 40,932 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

If you look at Bus Eireanns website they name bus stops of shops that closed 10/20 years ago.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 40,932 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Do people still refer to Lynched rather than Lankum?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,457 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

I'm not great for doing that. Venue and sport entity names in particular. Especially when such a thing had a perfectly nice catchy name or at least something that you got used to over the years and next its called after some stupid corporate entity.

Like whotf called it the Barclay Premiership when it was called that? I bet nobody only the people in the studio who had to do it. Or the DP World Tour. Its the European Tour end of. Twitter will be Twitter.

Sometimes I do. But there is no pattern to it. If it sounds alright I guess.

It's called 3Olympia now? Wtaf? Who in their right mind thought this was a good idea to begin with? I mean even from 'their' point of view. Ye lets call an old, cool, established cultural venue after our stupid useless faceless company, people will love it and will love us for it... Really?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,156 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Crumlin Village - it went Five Star - Quinnsworth - SuperValu. Possibly was a Crazy Prices for a short time.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Before RTE2 was around, RTE1 was just called RTE 😊

My grandad still called it Telefis Eireann (early 60s name) even after RTE2 came along

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

That picture is definitely not a Two and Two bar 🙁 it's feckin' Lindt! 🤮

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,066 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Tayto Park.

Langstone Road.

Point Theatre.

I'm not good with new names.

Advertisement