Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CLASSIC HITS OR 4FM

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭Glaceon

I couldn't see him doing it. You'd hear a lot more Michael Bublé for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,871 ✭✭✭JDxtra

He Tweeted about this, but may have since deleted it as I was not able to find it. He was saying he is left with only a small amount for doing each show. However he was rather unfairly deducting his commute costs from Cork to Dublin and back.

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭waywill1966

Doubt if turbridy would go to a station that doesn’t reach the whole country! Cant get it in the north west!

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭TheBMG

I’m guessing that a substantial chunk of talk programming at 9am means that a radio station would then have less news/talk commitments for the rest of the day?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,004 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

In the early 4FM days, the station had quite a lot of talk-based programs, some with a small bit of music. It is kind of hard to believe it now, but there were programs presented by the likes of Tom McGuirk, Derek Davis and Damien Kiberd.

Post edited by Declan A Walsh on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,143 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭alzer100

Originally I think the plan for 4FM was to directly compete with RTE Radio 1. Ex Capital Radio/FM104 Martin Block was successful at obtaining that licence IIRC. Again IIRC, one of the reasons he exited 4FM was due to running costs, trying to somehow compete with RTE Radio 1 became too expensive and he knew that 4FM was just going to eventually become another AC Music Mix type radio station. Although Ryan Tubridy may have been more suited to his original vision for 4FM.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,722 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Can't get it in the south east either. I'd be happy if he went to Classic Hits as it means he can be avoided very easily.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,250 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

It says (allegedly) that CH would match his €170k pay for the morning radio slot. Could CH eve. Mahe that money back in advertising during the slot ?!?

"However, Brannigan said that Classic Hits FM have "no issues" involving the agent, who represents a myriad of RTÉ talent, in negotiations for the offered role.

According to the station boss, Classic Hits have a "five-year target for listenership", but believe that Tubridy could get them there in one

We have very high ­ambitions for Classic Hits Radio — our aim is to grow to 500,000 listeners and become a major player on a par with Today FM and Newstalk in the ­multicity area."

Former RTÉ presenters Colm Hayes and Lucy Kennedy currently host the morning slot for Classic Hits FM, but there's an insistence that they won't be replaced if Tubridy does agree to sign up"

If this is a genuine proposition, I would imagine that the slot ear-marked would be mid-morning, so Colm and Lucy would probably not be affected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭waywill1966

Would they ever try to go fully national on FM?

There would have to be a competition advertised for another national license which I doubt very much. They cannot just change their license.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭cute geoge

I cannot understand why the same 80/90's are played religiously on classic hits .I listen ocasionly but rte gold play a better selection of 80's/90's hits it would turn you off listening full time anyway

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,250 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

New logo...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

Not only do they play the same songs over and over but in the last 1-2 years they've started playing Ed Sheeran and Adele and Coronas and other mind-numbing music.

If you are reading, Classic Hits, time to freshen up the library and stick to 90s backwards!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,871 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Not convinced about the logo. Nice colours and looks fresh - but too many words and the alignment of the fonts isn’t great.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭Glaceon

The station name is so clunky.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭its_steve116

The official word is that Ryan Tubridy is not returning to RTÉ *for the foreseeable future*.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Radio5

They seem to pick 1 or 2 songs for artist's back catalogue and stick religiously to those.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Zed Pee

If Tubs did join the station, the entire weekday schedule would be literally  2fm 2010. Niall boylans late show would almost certainly be axed as Tubs would fill the Bai/CnM talk requirement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Zed Pee

The whole thing about the station not been available in X part of the country on FM is going to become increasingly irrelevant in this smart age. in the UK, 30% of all radio listening is now online.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭thejuggler

Phillip Bourke (formerly RedFm) appeared this morning on classic hits filling in for Phil Cawley.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭its_steve116

Is this the first time he's been on a non-Cork station?

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭thejuggler

I think he was with Radio Kerry and C103 before he joined RedFM.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,435 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

Former RTE 2FM DJ / sports presenter and current golf commentator Shane o'donoghue was on this afternoon, filling in for Damien farrelly.

It must be around 18 years since he last presented on a music show (2FM or on Radio 1).

Post edited by ford fiesta on

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Tonywhest

That's a blast from the past, Tubs old sidekick on the full Irish. They also had Barry Lang doing fill-ins & weekends during C0vid, he vanished very quickly though. I presume that he went back flying, most people didn't expect flying to take off again so quickly post C0vid

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭amlinopta

Shane had a golf gig on CNN, Living Golf. Not sure if he still presents this or not? He was a guest on Mario Rosentock's podcast last year.

Signed off this evening saying he will be back 2-6 tomorrow afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,998 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

He's was on for Gareth O'Callaghan about 2 or 3 Saturdays ago. And possibly for Damien Farrelly a few weeks ago too. Perfectly listenable.

Side note, does "Mick the Taximan" get a voice note played on every show? Tedious, irritating and don't get me started on when GOC starts interacting with the voice note as if it's a live call.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,435 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

i'm surprised Shane's re-appearance on Irish radio wasnt mentioned here before !!

He had many different slots on 2FM and joined there in around 1996 starting on overnights, but most well known as early breakfast host around 2003, before Tubs breakfast show and being the sports guy on that show.

He also filled in for some Radio 1 music shows such as Ronan Collins and John Creedon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 john457

Mark Noble is on Breakfast for the week I presume. And Dave Mac for New Years Day afternoon. Two experienced, top notch presenters. Both should have weekday shows but maybe it doesn’t suit them with other work.

Advertisement