Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much would Cocaine cost if it was fully legal ?

Options
  • 27-12-2023 9:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭

I wonder what the cost of Cocaine would be if it was fully legal and there was zero controls on it.

If there were legit factories in South America producing it on an industrial scale I'm guessing they could produce a Kilo of Cocaine for less than 10 dollars/euros.

Cocaine could become so cheap that you could use it as washing powder if it were fully legal.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,751 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Seventeen Euros.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,561 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Three fiddy!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,806 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

• Registered Users Posts: 16,561 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Happy hour pricing and rely on volume to drive profit 😉

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭Alkers

War on drugs is lost and cannot be won. Gardai on today blaming cocaine users for all the associated criminality.

Legalise and regulate it, as per alcohol and you take all the money and criminality out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,194 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Totally disagree - bollox to legalising it- just don’t take cocaine - it’s not difficult

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

Drugs are for mugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Excise duty will triple the the price.

Do you drink?

Lots of people do.

I don't take cocaine either but plenty of people do, that bottle has been lost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Big Gerry

I've never taken it myself but as a Society we all have to deal with the criminality that goes along with it like the recent shooting in Blanchardstown.

If it was legal we wouldn't have all the gangland sh!t.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭893bet

Do you think all them gangs would just start working in Aldi or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Big Gerry

Well they would no longer be in the drugs business.

We don't have gangs murdering each other over the profits of alcohol.

Also with Society going cashless it will be very hard for people in the future to be blue collar criminals.

If it was put on sale alongside the drink in supermarkets, people would come from the North. Unless the North brought in the same law.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Musicrules

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Musicrules

How's it going in the Philippines? Has their drug usage fallen after users can be shot? Maybe bring that in here?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,930 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

They will go to something else. But drugs have massive profits. Remove their income streams and they won't be as powerful.

We've already seen what happens when there's a legal alternative, when the head shops were legal no body went to the dealers. What's better for society a shop paying rent and taxes selling quality controlled drugs with age verification or the current situation were criminals are making a fortune selling who knows what to anyone who wants drugs?

People OD because of the drugs being illegal as they never know how pure it is or what it's cut with. We are trying to set up safe injection centres with medical professionals in case of OD, why not give them safe drugs instead? Being illegal doesn't stop people getting off their head, being legal takes a lot of the risk out of consuming drugs.

Addiction is a different problem, not everyone who takes drugs is addictied just like not everyone who drinks is an alcoholic, and we need to have proper facilities for the treatment of all addictions. Drink, gambling and drug addiction destroys people and families.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,882 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I don't recall seeing breweries and distilleries having turf wars with shootings though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,576 ✭✭✭✭briany

It's an interesting question about legalising drugs, and given the (I don't want to say complete, but quite bad) failure to win the war on drugs, I would say that it would be a positive step. The big problem would be that there is still such a stigma on drug use and drug addiction that there would be big political capital to be gained in being the party to step forward and ban them again. It will be a major talking point that the state is aiding the ruination of lives by legalising drugs and allowing them to be sold. The counter will be that alcohol and tobacco are already illegal, and the counter to that will be that two evils are bad enough and why legalise more. I can already hear the endless Liveline debates in my head...

The other thing would be that because cocaine will still be seen as a bad thing to take, recreationally, and can cause addiction issues, it will likely be controlled so tightly and perhaps taxed out the arse, that it may still be cheaper and more convenient to just go to black market dealers, so there would have been not much solved at all.

So, decriminalising drugs for small amounts possessed, absolutely. Legalising their sale is good in theory to take the power out of gangs' hands, but the question of that becoming a moral and political football would need to be solved as well, and there would need to be a huge effort put into addiction treatment and destigmatising that.

Which party do you expect to step forward to ban it? Obviously not the party who legalised it. Which party would legalise it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,566 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

To answer the OP , by the time it’s taxed it would cost more than now . The cartels would still be cheaper.

Because it's legal...

If it was illegal, we would.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,292 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Legalising won't work. Government would set the price at a point they believe would limit its use but completely ignore the fact that the illegal route could supply it cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,728 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

A lot of people do stuff that is illegal should we just hold our hands up on that stuff too. Where would we end

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭marilynrr

There would be other issues though.

My life has been more touched by the individual side than the gangland side.

Regular cocaine users can be absolute nightmares, arrogant and narcissistic. My ex does cocaine and if it was legalised I would be very concerned that it would be considered ok for him to be doing coke and having a session when he had the kids!

@Del2005

Weren't the head shops legal during the recession? No one could even afford coke then and everyone I know had given up, even the serious addicts were forced to give up even though previously the massive debts and death threats didn't make them stop 😅 then the head shops arrived later and people could start to get high again because it was cheap, it wasn't really a case of people having the choice but switching.

Also you said people are OD'ing because of what it's cut with etc. but that's not really the case with cocaine. Maybe it has happened but generally it's cocaine that's the issue, specifically cocaine mixed with alcohol which actually creates a more lethal substance in the body, and affects the heart etc.

How can they make that safe if it's the cocaine itself (and alcohol) which is causing the problems?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭eggy81

Wouldn’t the gangs constantly be raiding whatever premises was selling the legal coke too. Crime would probably go up instead of down. Be interesting to see how mental health issues relating to addiction would be affected by the stigma of using illegal drugs being removed though. Would the same guilt be felt if it wasn’t seen as such a bad thing. Hard to know. Could make everything worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,194 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

So because “lots of people take cocaine” it needs to be legalised .

Hmmm ok- let’s then simply apply that logic to pretty much everything currently illegal - “if lots of people do it then legalise it”

• Registered Users Posts: 18,098 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Making anything legal through judiciary is only one prohibition step away from gang wars and thuggery.

Drugs and alcohol won't ever be an available controlled substance for the masses that can't be exploited for or by criminal enterprises as the powers that be by controlling it create a reason to manipulate the rules they impose or enforce.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

It's to reduce the amount of scumbags on the streets. Imagine what the streets would be like if all the degenerate alcoholics didn't have somewhere to go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,247 ✭✭✭facehugger99

You’re right. We need an illegal drugs trade to provide career opportunities and steady employment to criminals.

Advertisement