Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ration/Meal getting stolen out of a meal bin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,840 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Fierce difficult to get a good shot then especially this time of year and dark.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Dog is the only job for them.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭Buffman

Is it a remote yard away from the house with no one around?

If they're cutting locks they'd probably just destroy/steal any non-monitored cameras.

Have you got internet/wifi there? If so, I'd recommend plastering the place with monitored CCTV. I've used these ones and find them good, with an SD card in them or via cloud they can be set to record all activity and notify you on the phone on a free app of any movement instantly like a sensor light. You can then go and view what's happening live and what's been recorded and take appropriate action. The night vision is pretty good and good enough to get number plates in the dark.

This particular one also has built in lights which can be set to come on like a normal sensor light to alert the intruder that they're being recorded, or it can be left set to act like a normal camera. You can also record/hear audio and talk to people through it live like a video call on the app.

https://www.harveynorman.ie/computing/networking-and-connectivity/security-safety/tp-link-outdoor-security-wi-fi-camera-en.html

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,992 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Easily poisoned though. And not great for the dog, either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,550 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

You are going to be put in the meal bin, breathing straw provided, when you hear the angle grinder cutting the lock jump out and hit them with a cro bar.

Carry a water bottle and they'll be plenty to eat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,840 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Missing a bottle of whiskey

• Registered Users Posts: 13,750 ✭✭✭✭josip

What you do depends on what you think the cause of your problem is. Is it vermin or is it a local stray dog?

Catching might work if it's a stray dog.

But if it's vermin, since you can't kill them, you've got to make it hard enough to get in that they'll go somewhere easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,237 ✭✭✭tanko

A neighbour of mine noticed a few bales going missing from an out farm so he buried two timbers with six inch nails in them in the tracks leading to the bales. A few days later he came across his cousins tractor on the road with two flats wheels and a bale on the back. No need for a trail cam.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,239 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Just to point out that technically speaking, you have a duty of care towards trespassers not to intentionally injure them or damage their property. So be careful with how you approach such a strategy.

There was the case in England (with the great video) of the farmer removing an unwanted parked car from his lane with the help of his trusty handler and sending the drunken eejit owner of said car flying .............he was brought to court over it though (but got let off luckily enough)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,909 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

So you have wifi in the spot? All you need is a Blink camera so, or a million cheaper variants out there, one year battery life on standby, arm and disarm it from the app with a click (uses more battery when armed but still measured in weeks), image/video instant alerts from the motion sensor, night vision etc, I have 2 covering my house and they're great. Small little black cube of a camera, easy to hide.

It comes with a tiny little USB hub, stick a USB key in that it will record video no subscription required just the app on your phone, place the hub half way between your router and the camera site to maximize range. The hub will run off a USB powerpack if no plug socket in the area.

If it doesnt work out just return it to Amazon no questions asked.

Amazon.co.uk : blink camera

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭sob1467

Yeah it is a yard probably about 200 yards from house and no one around most of the time. Yeah have wifi so advice on monitored CCTV going to be followed. Thank God them cameras can be got so cheap now.

Thanks a million, just ordered two of them Blink Cameras, exactly what I was after and two years battery life is ideal.

Have two other Xiaomi Yi ones that were going to be used for another calving pen, will move them into yard as well. And sort out an extra light or two on the yard too, CCTV recording sign and battery light thing inside the meal bin. Should do the trick.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭SodiumCooled

Not sure you will find many cameras with non visible ir. It’s visible on mine but you would struggle to notice it and anyway it only activates when motion is detected on any half decent one so by the time they see it your phone is triggered and a video saved to the cloud.

As an aside I don’t know why some are so against the very small subs to get cloud strange, event triggers etc with some of the systems. It’s usually only a few euro a year and generally gives a much better service/system.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭OrangeBadger

157 delivered

It's primarily for deer stalking and only take pictures, but it will send the image to your phone in real time, so you will be able to see when they are there.

Ideally you would get a clear video of them and post it all over Facebook/YouTube let all the locals see what thieving cnuts they are

• Registered Users Posts: 17,909 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

They're great for residential houses, will be interesting to see if you can get them to work for farmyard distances, hold on to the box and the amazon packaging anyway and its no hassle to get a refund from them.

I also bought a floodlight mount for one of them, only £35 also run totally by a battery too, so ideal. I will post back once I get it and see if any use.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭Dunedin

You just need to practice. Start off with a few tin cans sitting on a few stakes - 10 yards, move back to 20 yards, 30 yards and so forth. Start practicing in the day light and progress to the evening.

by the time the visitors come back you should be nicely trained up……!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Rusheseverywhere

I saw was a spate of robberies near me and hit Co-Op even who had the best of videos all they got was lads in wellies black jackets, flouresent jackets and scarfs and gloves. Black land cruiser that had false plates and a trailer, Noone ever caught. Best solution is one way in and couple of bollards.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Surely the bollards would be bypassed with sledges or grinders and expensive to fit

As you say lads are wise to cameras

Length of timber buried with nails as me and another were saying

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Rusheseverywhere

Good bollards are expensive (2k Plus per bollard not fitted but solid stainless steel) but you will not get past them easily. Best type is the ramp type like you see 0utside the Dail. I enquired was 8k plus Vat years ago for that type, lad who did automatic gates, could get and install.

Not dear but how stand up to an angle grinder? Will a lad bother doubt it especially if local and signs up CCTV and Beware of Dog.

And having said all that know lad who had all the yard well secured etc but they got in through a gate over half a mile away went over farm and back again. Was local knowledge and lad found guilty on another matter was prime suspect for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,334 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

OP, sorry to read your post, what about an AirTag in a bag left beside the shute?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Bollards, or nails on wood unfortunately not a runner here. It is on a right-of-way. Possibly one of the greatest life regrets I have is letting a few neighbours a way through my own property as a second way into their farms. As an aside, NEVER do it! That is one for another thread though.

Even if I had €5,000 lying around I'd probably buy some more to try to finish rather than that yoke 🤣

To be honest all the cameras are as a deterrent to scare them off.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

I hate to say it but the neighbours with the right of way could be the no 1 suspect.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,237 ✭✭✭tanko

Give the neighbours an inch and they take a million miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Aravo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭hopeso

I was just thinking is not organised criminals anyway.... After all, cattle feed isn't going to fetch much on the black market. Who ever is taking it is most likely feeding it to his own stock, so it's basically a farmer...and probably not travelling too far either.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭cjpm

The right of way you mention…..

Is it a casual agreement or something you have put in writing? I’d be going into my solicitor immediately to see if I could shut it again.

If it’s casual you could possibly put a lock on the gate and tell your neighbours you are sorry but your farm is being robbed so you can’t continue to have it open.

If they really want to have it they’ll have to go to court to force you to open it. And if they already have their own access there’s a chance the judge will tell them to use their own access.

Talk to your solicitor.

Another option is to lock it, but provide the neighbours with a key each. They still have access but you have some security. And if stuff goes missing you’ve narrowed down the culprits……

• Registered Users Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

If whoever is doing it is cutting 2 locks already a third won't make much difference unless the battery goes in the grinder.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭cjpm

If there’s a gate on the road, locked with a “Hidden CCTV in operation” sign on it, 9/10 scamps will keep driving rather than cutting a lock in public.

• Advertisement
Advertisement