Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Modern Car Lights - Far too bright

Options
  • 14-12-2023 12:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭

Only returned home driving a short while ago and was absolutely blinded several times, the worst offender was a Tesla. These super bright white HID and LED lights on new cars and aftermarket bulbs I would say are the number 1 hazard on the road now. SUV and Trucks literally scorching the retina's off you and Automatic dimming which dims too late to ensure you are seeing stars. Bloody ridiculous and they should be banned.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,975 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Add in the extra height of crossovers and SUVs and you're more susceptible to getting blinded by dimmed bulbs.

Yellow light is much better for car lights as it's easier for our eyes to adjust back and forth between darkness and an oncoming vehicle.

Interior controls lighting should be orange for the same reason, and it was for decades, but now everything is white and blue because it looks futuristic or kewl.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,645 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

The aftermarket bulbs are a big one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭kirk.

Driving on hilly roads is a nightmare

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Photobox

Totally agree. Did a 4 hour round trip last night and was nearly blinded several times by the time I returned home. Thought it was just me.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,995 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

It's so bad you can't even tell if someone's lights are dipped or not.

It's also a pain in the eyeballs following dicks with their rear fog lamps on when there isn't even a hint of fog.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Senature

I think this should be addressed as a safety issue by government. It's only different bulbs that are needed, an easy fix. Standardise the bulbs that are allowed, that are effective and don't blind other drivers. Other bulbs, not allowed to be sold, fitted or used.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Banjo Carney

Agree the rear fog lights are a killer on the eyes drives me nuts

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Baba Yaga

those new type headlamps are like looking straight into the sun,totally blinding,while im absofcukinlutely delighted that the blind-er can see the road 78miles ahead on dipped beam,myself being the blind-ee have to stop until i can see more then bright blue spots in my eyes!!

"They gave me an impossible task,one which they said I wouldnt return from...."

ps wheres my free,fancy rte flip-flops...?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,497 ✭✭✭micks_address

It's interesting for sure. I've a car with automatic lights which dim with oncoming traffic but I'll often get flashed. They are matrix lights so don't fully dim. To be honest I'd rather they did. They seem to shape the lights away from oncoming traffic rather than dim down.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,257 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

It's an absolute pain. Grand the other driver can see five years into the future, but the drivers on the other side of the road are forced to slow down and cannot see what's in front of them.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭bloopy

It seems to be especially common this winter. I don't remember being blinded this often in previous years.

Personally, I don't have a problem with them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MoodeRator

This is a major concern for me also, as I drive country roads, 2 hours each day in the dark. These excessively bright lights not only blind you on occasions, but but they also make it impossible to see if the vehicle has a wide load behind them.

On one occasion I was nearly in a ditch due to a wide trailer being towed only being visible once the car towing was beside me

• Registered Users Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

I have the standard lights on car but get flashed every days by other cars who seem to think I have full headlights on. The car is a hatchback so not sure why they get so confused. I resist flashing them with the actual full headlight because if they can't see with the dims they are likely to crash if I did.

We live in an area outside a city which has no street lights. Honestly I think it is just people who are used to street lights and once they hit the back roads they struggle to see. It is very bad when raining because most of the people flashing seem to think they are driving on a motorway and not a small country road, they will flash but not slow down.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,657 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

It's been a creeping phenomenon for a few years now as the car market moves along and older vehicles retired. I agree, the LED lights are often blinding. The gas thing is you have the RSA banging on about legislation all the time to control drivers behaviour and then they ignore substantial hazards like this which they could easily address with car importers and dealers.

I have no problem with lights on cars, you can spot the odd one which clearly has non standard lights put into them but they are few and far between. I do remember a mate of mine years ago who denied they had terrible eye sight and was complaining about driving in dark. Instead of getting glasses like he should of went ot a garage and got new bulbs in so he could see, God love the people coming towards him. A few years later he bit the bullet and got glasses. But that is what you are dealing with.

The NCT checks if the lights are level etc, they don't check the brightness.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,217 ✭✭✭ongarite

Clean the inside of your windscreen properly, not just a quick wipe on damp morning.

A build up of grime on the glass causes a white like haze which causes glare & astigmatism like effects.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,275 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

In every car I've owned up to now, there has been a headlight level adjustment knob in the cockpit to allow the low beams to be raised or lowered depending on how many passengers there are and if there's a heavy load in the boot

In the Nissan Leaf I'm driving at the moment, there is no adjuster and you need to get a ratchet out and adjust them directly at the mounting I(which nobody will ever do)

I actually think the low beams are set up to be a little but too high on the car, but I'm assured this is the standard set up so i'm going with it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

Theres a few new cars which the LED headlights are blinding, but I'm mostly blinded by either lads that put LED bulbs into reflector housings and most of all those that didnt bother to get the headlights aligned so they are pointing all over the place (often one is blinding you and the other is pointing at the ground)

Theres also the few people that have a bulb gone and I'm not sure if that gives more power to the other headlight or they just stick on their full beams

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭Doolittle51

Maybe one of your bulbs is blown, or misaligned, or you're driving around at night with only DRLs on

• Advertisement

Nah they are perfect, checked, I think it is just they are the LED bulbs or whatever they are called.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,193 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I live rural and I can't say I have had any problems with car headlight, but I was very concerned one evening when I saw a brilliant flashing light coming towards me on a fairly narrow road. I could not figure out what it was and could not see anything beside or beyond it to try and rationalise it. It was totally distracting. At the very last moment I realised it was a cyclist with a flashing headlight which was the brightest thing I have ever had to drive against. Very dangerous, I tried to slow down as I could not figure out what was going on, but I had someone behind me who was presumably as blinded as I was so I felt I had to keep going.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,596 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

It's a nightmare, blinded by low hanging winter sun during the day and LED bulbs at night.

I've often flashed someone thinking they had full beams on only to be greeted by the equivalent of a nuclear explosion when they quickly flash theirs to show they have their dipped beams on.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,178 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Guys adding after market lights are a new thing too. Only seen a couple of cases but it's bound to become more popular once they are seen by the easily influenced.

A car approached me the other night with what appeared to be a 3 foot long solid bar of light down at ground level. It was SUPER bright, and very blinding, despite not pointing directly at me. No doubt something bought off TEMU or similar.

It was so bright that I would like to think that as soon as he drove past the guards for the 1st time, they would have pulled him in and taken it off themselves there and then.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭GPoint

Subjectively it feels like the number of bright leds on the road has increased But I agree with point mentioned above that it’s down to more people buying newer cars and older cars taken off road. I would be happy to go back to good old halogens even though my current car has led. Halogens were a lot cheaper to replace when losing brightness. LED headlights don’t last forever and lose brightness too but to replace one is not what you could do in few minutes yourself .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

There usually is a hint of fog, the bit between the dicks ears.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,617 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Most new cars with LED lights shouldn't cause any more issues than older cars with traditional bulbs and would be better aligned than old cars too, the only difference is the light is "whiter" more so than the yellow shade of light off older car headlights, unless someone installs those annoying white light headlight bulbs!

I have the Matrix Led headlights which adjust themselves on low and high beams, never been flashed by another car...

Still find it amazing that someone in this thread has a moan at those "pesky cyclists" even though the subject here is bright car lights! 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 7,149 ✭✭✭plodder

I remember reading (a few years back) that HID/ Xenon bulbs were only supposed to be installed in specific types of headlamp, which were self-leveling etc. But, now you can put them in any old jaloppey. So, what changed, I wonder?

For what it's worth, my OH's car has automatic dipping and tbh, the technology in it is not great. It sometimes takes way longer to detect an oncoming car than it should. If you try to intervene you sometimes end up switching at the same time as the automatic system and blinding the other car a second time. While it's still a useful feature, the quality in this instance is fairly rubbish. It looks to me like the safety of this technology is not tested by anyone outside the manufacturers themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Guilty , after I wash the insignia cars actually pull in to let me pass

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭pawdee

Annoying as they may be, I wish I had those modern headlights instead of the candle lamps on my 08 Focus.

Advertisement