Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,843 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

What's really happening with the blockade of trucks at the Polish border? This is reported as going on a while now and surely the Polish authorities must perceive the considerable danger in this. Transport of goods into Ukr via Poland is critical for Ukr defence.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭macraignil

I read that the blockade is not being applied to military supplies and aid to Ukraine and saw a video where it showed a train going to Ukraine loaded up with articulated trucks I guess bypassing the blockade. I think like lots of negativity about Ukraine's situation the problem is being amplified by pro putin media sources and hope on the ground it is not a very big issue for Ukraine.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,313 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

All for what??

Putins small man ego.

When will the west wake up?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭Rawr

Russia’s mindset and actions certainly do sync up with similarly minded nations around the world. I might however counter that a successful Russian invasion of Kyiv would have greenlit a domino effect of various «Republics» going around and «Liberating» territory. I’m certain you would have seen a Chinese attempt on Taiwan this year, and other conflicts like here with Guyana.

Problem is, unlike with 2014, this time around the West armed Ukraine as a proxy force and applied a whole raft of economic consequences designed the limit Russia’s abilities to wage war. What Russia had managed to grab 2021 has been reduced and despite their numeric advantages are unable to overrun the Ukrainians. Victory for the Russians was to be a quick conquest of Ukraine and the ethnic clensing of its people while preparing for the next conflict. They failed. Now they face a crawling multi-front conflict that is holding up almost their entire military, all while they are excluded from the Western world.

Russia are not likely happy with any of this, and others who had been observing the conflict in the hope for a “Green light” for their own invasion may be wary of sharing their fate. Venezuela might be hoping that they can gamble and grab a large jungle area where barely anyone lives, but they face becoming South America’s “North Korea” for pulling that kind of nonsense. They are already pretty isolated due to their shenanigans.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭rolling boh

We have being hearing about all sorts of problems with Russian soldiers equipment or lack of it for almost as long as this war has been going on .Maybe I was not realistic when I was hoping for a serious event to really turn things significantly in Ukraine's favour just to keep up the support to the level that is vital .The counter offensive seems to have had limited enough success better than nothing but was hoping for a bit more .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭duck.duck.go

It’s war there are ups and down, the Ukrainians to their credit seem to have realised quick that tactics they were recommended without the correct equipment provided wont work and went back to death by a thousand cuts bleeding of the Russian rabid bear.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,339 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Easy to imagine it: crickets. Nothing. Only time RuZZia comes up is in some stretch comparison with Israel.

The Russian national pastime of queueing outside shops for food has returned, video in thread

• Registered Users Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Would need those scenes all over and in the better off parts to have even the remotest chance of some questions being asked .Putin and his regime won't go hungry that's for sure .He will blame the west and most folk will go along with that about any difficulties they suffer .

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,154 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

If the Russian narrative is that they're the last bulwark against (literal!) Nazi states everywhere to the West, then you can probably keep privations going for long enough with an engrained siege mentality. Not indefinitely, but couple that with the generic memory of those old enough to remember the hardships of the USSR, and I could see these shortages failing to move the needle.

• Advertisement

Oh they can keep up the illusion for a long time, undoubtedly, the USSR managed 70 years to the point where the main use of state propaganda newspapers was to wipe bottoms as toilet paper was unobtanium.

For these babushkas standing in the cold would offer the opportunity to retrospectively examine as to whether the death of their sons and husbands in a faraway mud hole for no good reasons in same manner their grandmas done in 80s areas worth it. They can also compare notes as to if any of them are getting paid the promised ever devaluing roubles as compensation or pension.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,177 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Some good news a lot of stuff got through the polish blockade ...ukraine put it in a train instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,177 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Considering what is happening in Israel that is a very believable narrative. Clearly I dont believe this about ukraine. But obv its true of israel.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,154 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

In a fascist state, these women might well say: yes, it's worth it. I don't subscribe to demonising an entire nation or people as has been the odd segue here, but there's also no doubt there will be buy-in into the kleptocratic, mafia, fascist stripmine that is Russia. Fascism is a death cult so dead sons and fathers might well be considered an honour if it's all "blood and soil" mentality. Gotta have some converts to the cause or else the authoritarian structure doesn't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭zv2

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

At the risk of seeming like I view the world with rose tinted glasses, I think that the negative spin on the US Congressional machinations is wrong, and that there is clearly a deal to be done and it is within sight.

I have said several times before, and repeat it, that the US populace losing interest in Ukraine doesn't make it harder for the vote to go through; it actually makes it easier, because when the debate comes up, the border security and immigration reform issues will be the main controversy, Israel the second, and even though the lions share of the money is currently earmarked for Ukraine, this is the least controversial of the three issues so will probably take the least airtime.

Although Russian propaganda pushes the narrative that the number of people who think the US is spending too much on Ukraine is increasing, and it is significantly increasing, what is ignored by them is that the people who think that the same amount or even more support for Ukraine is still the majority when the two are put together, and that thinking there should be less spending on Ukraine does not mean thinking that there should be no spending on Ukraine.

Further, it is important to remember that the ask of $60bn for 2024 would, if delivered, be the largest yearly support for Ukraine so far. Up to October, 2023 they have given $68.9 to Ukraine, so in one year they would be giving 87% of what they had given over the last year and three quarters, or approximately 50% more per month next year than over the first 21 months of the conflict.

I suspect that they will not get the $60bn ask. Instead, the Republicans will reduce it dramatically and call it a win. I would expect the amount to be somewhere between $20 and $40bn, that is to say any less than $20bn will be very disappointing, and over $40bn will be a massive boost for Ukraine.

However, a much more significant factor is that as people lose interest in the details of what is given to Ukraine, the US could change how they describe the monetary value of the donated equipment. A big factor in cost is a contribution to development costs, which are usually shared between the US Defense Dept and the private companies, and economies of scale. Thus, the sticker price for a GMLRs rocket for export can be $200k, but they can be sold in bulk to the US Army for $100k. The book value of these rockets will often decrease depending on when they were made - a GMLRs that was made in 2013 is now 10 years old and might have cost $75k at the time.

Lets say that the US decides to give 100 GMLRs rockets to Ukraine and then orders 100 replacements to be made. If they want to highlight how valuable their donation to Ukraine is, they can say that this is worth $20m - that is to say that if, say Poland, wanted to buy 100 GMLRs directly from Lockheed Martin that is how much it would cost them. But equally, the amount actually paid by the U.S. Treasury is $10m to buy them at the reduced army rates. Moreover, if they were based on book value it could be as low as $7.5m.

If the President of the US wants to talk about how big a contribution they are making, the $20m sounds great. The Congress might, however, account for this as $10m because that is how much money goes out of the coffers to increase the production. And the Pentagon's own internal audit might say "hold on, we have given $7.5m worth of old stocks to Ukraine". This is not a new problem, but it is often left out of the discussion on Ukraine. The Pentagon often fails its audits, partially, I suspect, for this reason:

But it also explains the "accounting error" of $6bn earlier this year:

And this is the complexity of one of the more basic items of military aid. Take the M39 variant ATACMs. Not only are these weapons old and some of which are of shorter range than the more modern ones, but they were slated for either repurposing or destruction as they contained cluster munitions. The cost of storage and destruction of old cluster munitions is huge. Based on an average of $1m per tonne of cluster munitions destroyed safely in the decade up to 2009, it can cost the US about half as much to store and make safe these weapons as it does to make modern versions of same. So, you could, if you had a mind to, donate 10 M39 Block 1 ATACMs to Ukraine that are slated for destruction at a cost of minus $5m.

So looked at in the round, I can't see the U.S. Congress passing the full $60m, but nor can I see them giving nothing to Ukraine in 2024. Most likely, through a combination of a reduced voted figure and maybe some clever accounting, we will see a similar level of military aid to Ukraine in 2024 as we did in 2022 and 2023, if not an even greater level of military aid on the ground (if not in accounted monetary terms).

In related news, wannabe authoritarian and Putin crony Orbán is meeting similar conservative warts in Washington to discuss turning off Ukrainian aid, with an eye to a Republican presidency from 2025 onwards.

Hungary constantly strikes as the Alabama of the EU, and its backslide on Democracy a repugnant stain within the bloc. It's a shame there aren't some core legal responses allowing for members reducing their democracy, cos their presence mocks the entire structure.

You do wonder what Orbán's end game is here: Ukrainian support ends, Kyiv falls to a puppet, or even gets outright annexed. Then what?

Imagine being so stupid as to pay Russian criminals what little savings you have on promise of being able to transit Russia into EU

only to be presented with an offer that can’t be refused of dying for the mafia boss

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭zv2

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

It's not just Poland,it's Slovakia and Hungary,they showed some trucks being brought in on train cars the other day claiming that the blockades has been broken ,I get the feeling that it's not happening at all as claimed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,796 ✭✭✭kksaints

He'd probably try and annex the Hungarian speaking area of Ukraine if he thought he'd get away with it. The Treaty of Trianon's legacy is one that still hangs over Hungarian politics. In the survey referenced the article below 67% of Hungarians believed that parts of neighbouring countries belonged to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

No trucks have entered Ukraine by rail yet.

But trucks have entered Poland by rail and contained on by road.

The video that's on line full version shows that the train entering Poland not exiting.

Looks like a normal explosion in cold damp air , nothing unusual

I had a feeling,was off line from Thursday night,seen it all over twitter people celebrating that they had somehow bypassed the blockades, any idea of the number of trucks now waiting last I seen it was close to 2000 trucks stuck at various locations that was over a week ago I think

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Not sure of the exact numbers now as over 1000 were allowed to be fast tracked at a different border crossing that opened a line to allow empty trucks through.

To my knowledge the reason the trucks were railed into polland is due to backlog of polish trucks been blocked.

Tit for tat I suppose.

Surprisingly the border protests are not blocking incoming trucks only exiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭rogber

Until the educated middle classes in Moscow, Petersburg etc are queuing for and stockpiling food scenes like this are irrelevant. In the same way they don't care about all the dead soldiers from provinces and prisons

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭deadduck

….

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭deadduck

If you think about that situation for more than a few seconds, I’m sure it’ll be apparent that the immigrants caught up in this drafting/conscription are victims of desperation and circumstance, not stupidity

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭jmreire

Or in the Great War (2) celebrations I can show more medals than you......

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement