Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord refusing to repay a penny of deposit

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Whatwicklow

@OP Was there an expectation the LL would have just sucked this up (or not noticed) is that why the property wasn't reinstated to its previous condition?

It seems odd that there is a surprise of a with holding on the deposit

• Registered Users Posts: 11,782 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

The RTB will decide if the damage is more than normal wear and tear.

There are companies who spot repair kitchen worktops. Also places who repair furniture from water marks. Though its probably cheaper to replace.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

if he's not registered please report him, annoys me as someone who registers the tenancy, has a ber cert (new one needed next year it will go down due to changes in the ber system), electrical cert (every 5 years), boiler service every year, had several council inspections. that there still seems to be loads of landlords who don't register.

most of my tenants do some damage but they are usually their for a few years it's wear and tear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭SharkMX

Are you sure they arent registered with the RTB. Ive had a few friends claim they werent registered with the RTB but it turned out they were. The RTB dont have the best reputation for keeping their registrations up to date.

If I did the damage to a rental property (or any property i happened to be in) that is outlined in the RTB I would get it repaired myself. None of that is normal wear and tear. It could all have been avoided by treating the property with care. If you owned the house you would not have been that careless would you?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Agreeing with it being at least 1200 without seeing it is not reasonable, it feels like you're advising the op to just accept this demand, maybe that's not your intent.

I probably am thinking of formica. Last time I installed one of those before covid it was something like €80 for 4m, I see now that's gone up to €195 which is crazy in fairness. But again it might not even involve replacing the section around the hob, we have next to no information.

Those other things sound like standard wear and tear, if the op can fix them great but it's not something a landlord can take from a deposit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,820 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I'd say good look getting a tradesman to replace a worktop for under a grand.

It's a bit like getting your car replaced because you got a dent in it.

It's a rental. Will you be replacing the worktop every time a tenant damages it.

Rental anything has a much harder life than your own property.

Anyone who thinks a tenant is going to look after a property as if it's their house is too delicate to last as a LL.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,247 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

If someone else dented it, you would want them to pay for repair though, and if it couldn’t be repaired, to be replaced.

Few of us would have the know how, or luck to be able to get the exact match, and fit it, cheaply. Paying an expert do do something is always going to be more expensive than DIY, and we all know that tradespeople are charging a premium at the moment.

So you would replace the whole car for a dent. Makes sense.

• Advertisement

Lol. You think you can repair a lam worktop to remotely look as it was before the person severely damaged it.

I've lived in numerous places over my years never managed to melt a sideboard. Its not normal wear and tear. It's clumsy and you pay to repair it to original. The same as someone would repair to have your car to original before they crashed into you.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,161 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

If you want to suggest my opinion is unreasonable, you're going to have to provide a bit more to back that up. I simply gave my opinion, not advice.

OP was clearly of the view that being small in size should reduce the cost, I was pointing out that is not the case. Replacing a section means replacing the whole section. Whether it's a 1" burn, or a 6" burn, the cost to replace is the same.

I probably am thinking of formica. Last time I installed one of those before covid it was something like €80 for 4m, I see now that's gone up to €195 which is crazy in fairness. But again it might not even involve replacing the section around the hob, we have next to no information.

€80 lol. Living in the past there. I was basing it on €180+ depending on range. Plus delivery, labour, travel, etc. It might not involve the hob, but it might involve the hob and the sink. We don't need detailed information, we aren't providing quotes to the OP. The landlord will do that (which you missed). Also, €1,200 is not the costs, it's the full deposit. It could cost more, as you said, we have no information. we're not really trying to put a precise figure on it.

Those other things sound like standard wear and tear, if the op can fix them great but it's not something a landlord can take from a deposit.

If the OP can fix them, they should not be penalised. But they didn't fix them, so pretty moot. Wear and tear is normal, and not every defect needs replacing or repairing. But somebody who thinks thinks a burnt counter top is normal, is perhaps not the benchmark we are aiming for

You can spot repair a dent.

As a landlord are you saying you've never had tenants do anything other than give a property back in pristine condition after a year or more. I don't believe you.

Because that's the only perspective that matters. Not that you've never broken a oven door, or spilt something on a carpet.

Let the RTB decide. That's exactly what they are for.

I wouldn't be replacing a worktop for a small mark in a rental. Might get it repaired but I wouldn't be so precious about it.

Tenant tries to get deposit back, landlord try to use it to offset damage. RTB decides what's appropriate.

I'm not a landlord. And you can't spot fix a melted sideboard. It looks like shite.

Don't assume I'm a landlord because i think it's unreasonable for someone to melt a sideboard and ruin a coffee table and expect a full deposit back.

I wouldn't do this in my home why would I do it to others and pretend it's grand.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Ask for the deposit back or else she will report to revenue and RTB. He isn't handing it over willingly. Watermarks are wear and tear and to be honest, easily repairable, as is the spot repair on a counter. She will owe him a small amount or he can give her the option to repair before leaving if that the only damage he has noted. They are simple fixes based on the description.

• That’s all that happens in this forum if you don’t get up on a high horse and shout down all landlords for everything because they’re all bad.

If you don’t shout them down you must be one of them. It’s not that you’re a reasonable individual.

If someone else dented your car though would you expect them to pay for it or would you just leave it and let them walk off - assuming it wasnt some randomer that did it and walked off when you were doing the shopping :)

Theres wear and tear and there is damage. I dont know how you put a hole in a counter top put of wear and tear no matter what kind of idiot you are. I figure if i cant respect a rental im renting, i should expect anyone else to be able to do that too. Common decency would make me repair anything i break myself without waiting til im "caught".

• Advertisement

You can spot fix a burn on a worktop. I dunno about "melted" a entire sideboard. Where did you get that from.

A water mark doesn't ruin anything. It can be repaired. Furniture is cheap.

No professional landlord will throw their toys out of the pram for stuff like this. Any landlord who treats a rental like is their own home has the wrong mindset completely. Losing your mind over a water mark is bordering on psychotic.

Exactly I reckon the RTB will only agree to a % of the deposit being retained.

But the tenant and the landlord are best served by going to the RTB as mediator.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭irelandrover

If these are such easy and cheap fixes then the tenant should have fixed them.

The landlord cannot repair it themselves as they cant charge for their time. So they need to hire someone in to repair them. And the same with the counter top.

If I went to rent a house and the counter was burned and the furniture was all damaged then I'd be put off the rental as I think the landlord doesn't take care of the property and would likely be unresponsive to requests.

• Sorry but if you burn someone’s countertop you owe them a repair or replacement.

You haven’t a clue if you think it’s that easy to spot fix it as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Any Landlord should get the property back int the same condition they rented it at. A burn in a worktop means an entire worktop swap out and if you have different sections it could means swapping out everything so you don't have different worktop.

A water mark means the furniture will have to be replaced.

Now all of this takes time to arrange to get the counter top repaired, give access to the workmen. Pick out worktops etc. Then for the furniture you will need to get a replacement item, again time to collect and get something which will fit into the existing furniture in the apartment

Sorry but you don;t really have a clue what you are talking about. "Furniture is cheap" proves you have zero idea about the topic.

That is really interesting, how do you easily repair a burn mark on a kitchen countertop?. Just so I know for again.

• I think lads in your foaming at the mouth to shout about what a bastard the landlord is you all forgot the part where the OP’s sister was happy as you like to feck off and leave another tenant behind or the landlord to deal with the damages they caused.

They didn’t intend to repair or replace any of it so “giving her the option” is ridiculous to say. She had the option and she felt that it wasn’t worth bothering. Now is complaining about not getting a tax credit and it’s all the landlords fault.

I wonder is it possible in Ireland for a tenant to vacate a property without making an arsehole of themselves somehow?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Would ya get outa that - a mark caused by heat on a kitchen countertop is part of normal daily life.

Advice to OPs sister is to report the situation and full contact details of said landlord to the RTB. That'll soften his cough.

Normally I'd be somewhat sympathetic to landlords but if you take the OP at face value, this one is taking the piss and wanting it all ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,161 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Nobody is saying they need to replace the whole kitchen lmfao.

If somebody scratches a car, the standard repair is to paint a full panel. Sure, you can get paint brush out, and spot repair the precise damage only. But that's a pretty poor repair. If you'd except that in your car, that's on you.

Of course. Rentals get bashed. That's why there's a deposit paid. What did you think it's for?

If the place is already rundown, then a small burn is invisible. But somebody with a property in good condition probably wants to look after it. If you don't care, that's up to you.

• Advertisement

Why did you quote me yet add 'entire' to a quote and then ask me where i got that from. Words I never said. You made it up.

Words are important . Don't add words to make a point it makes you seem silly and grasping at straws.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement