Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shane McGowan RIP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭rogber

Yeah I saw Nick Cave saying being interviewed and saying Shane was right up there with the best Irish songwriters of his generation. Absolutely, if we're talking Christy Moore, Bono & Co. But then the interviewer jumps in and says not just Irish but one of the best songwriters in the world and that's just nonsense.

And probably unfair to the rest of the Pogues, who it seems were very much co-songwriters on some of their best songs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭rogber

I also find Soho a bit bland and prefer the songs you mentioned. But someone else in the thread said Bottle of Smoke is their best song. Very subjective as always, but says a lot that's there are probably a dozen songs that could compete for a vote as their best one

• Registered Users Posts: 33,173 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Will they censor it though?

Irish radio stations falling over themselves this morning covering his final day with us, yet at the same time continuing to censor his work.

Hypocrites.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

I don't mind Bono or Chrsty Moore and a few more but there's going to be fair sprinkling of wannabe "stars " and hanger ons floating around Nenagh today. If I see Glen Hansard or Liam O maoinlai on TV I'll probably throw up!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,218 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

The BBC did (or, used to) censor out that word but I don't think any Irish stations did?

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭mountain

Ian Dempsey on today fm, played it during the week, with **** changed to haggard

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭mountain

• Registered Users Posts: 2 shepherdsbush

For me he gave us 2nd generation in London and no doubt other English cities a voice as he would have been classed as a plastic paddy like ourselves . Saw the pogues live on numerous occasions, the greatest nights ! Rest in peace Shane you gave us plastic paddies a sense of pride and a sense of purpose

• Registered Users Posts: 3,530 ✭✭✭dasdog

I was a bit skeptical but popped out from work to watch the cortege and ended up joining in till the end. It was a lovely tribute.

As Tom Waits said last Friday - he was "A Bard's bard".

• Registered Users Posts: 6,522 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

This piece - - yes physically in brutal shape, no question and completely enabled in this sense by his partner who clearly loves him (which says something in itself about him).

Incoherent, demented state - absolutely not.

I think he is a guy who is demonstrates peoples complete inability to look beyond whats in front of them.

Yes he mumbled, yes he took ages to respond to questions - but if you really look at interviews though, he is a highly intelligent and educated man. Intelligent at IQ and EQ levels. If you were to transcribe his answers onto paper this would be very clear. But what people saw was a guy who looked brutal, had long response times and quite frankly looked dopey and out of it. And the other thing they saw was interviewers who could never look beyond this either, lazy questions a booze and hellraising.

And failed to listen to what he actually said.

Sickbed of Cuchulain is one of the greatest lyrics in the history of pop music; did he ever get asked about it once in an interview?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

Probably 40 years ago when it was released. When was he last coherent? Was it when the reality show about his dentures was filmed do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,790 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Classic hits have been playing the unedited version.

Just watched a clip of the Artane Boys band playing “The boys of Fairhill” following the hearse 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 6,522 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Here's a quote from Paul Simon who befriended MacGowan in the last 10 years of his life. Nothing in this tallies with incoherency:

“I already liked what I heard of him,” said Simon. “It was a very striking day in my life when I met him.”

Simon said that MacGowan was often “insightful” during their conversations and spoke about the letters they would send to each other.

Simon read from one letter, which he had since framed, which was penned after Simon gifted MacGowan a set of speakers.

“Thanks for the friendly visit, it was great, and thanks for the lovely speaker, it has made a great difference to our listening pleasure,” wrote MacGowan.

Simon said the pair had been friends for over a decade and he introduced MacGowan to his children the last time he was in Dublin.

Simon said they would speak about the poet Seamus Heaney, the Nobel Prize awardee for literature, but that most of their conversations revolved around music.

He wasn’t the Lady Di we wanted, but he was the Lady Di we deserved.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,790 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

One had widely regarded talent the other was born posh and married posher.

Only thing they have in common is a public funeral.

@Tombo2001 i would wager that Shane didn’t write that

Sorry I was referring to a previous poster but the “reply” function doesn’t seem to work.

Shane was an incredible wordsmith, anyone who he came into contact with in his heyday is nothing but complimentary and that says a lot. It’s just a terrible shame how he ended up, no quality of life since he was a very young man. We shouldn’t normalize the condition he was in.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,173 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I just seen a few clips of the crowds in Dublin for his funeral...jez.

I wonder how many of those attending could name 5 of his songs, or own his cds?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Francis McM

He was given the best start in life, pity it ended up in drink, drugs, and a life of ill health caused by same. He attended the fee-paying Holmewood House prep school, near Tunbridge Wells. He then won a scholarship to Westminster school in London at the age of 14, a very posh school, where fees are currently over £ 32,000 stg per year. He only lasted a year, as he was found to be in possession of drugs and expelled.

Turned out a bit incoherent, dishevelled, difficult to understand, had it all, great potential, an opportunity wasted? Hard to disagree.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,194 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

I guess Soho was played to death back in the day- it was an amazing sound at the time - really different - but I guess like many infamous songs it loses some of its gloss due to overplay and becoming so iconic

• Registered Users Posts: 5,194 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

I couldn’t get in today but would have loved to have gone- that’s a lovely tribute from Waits too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭pavb2

Yes same here, probably a topic for another thread but 2nd generation Irish in the UK meant you were in a sort of limbo, brought up as Irish in England you weren’t really Irish but also didn’t identify as English.

Going to a catholic school also meant all of my friends without fail were also 2nd generation Irish. I think seeing bands like the Pogues brought us even closer together.

no quality of life since he was a very young man

🙄

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

That’s the irony of it, Shane was seen by the Irish as a national embarrassment back in the day, at the time we were trying to distance ourselves from what he stood for. That’s in addition to the ostracism of “plastic” paddies, which hasn’t changed one iota.

What? He wasn’t Stephen Hawking, he wasn’t “locked in”, he didn’t have some genetic disorder, he wasn’t there anymore because of the amount he drank. Someone was providing him with the drink because he wasn’t physically capable of doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 shepherdsbush

You are spot on ! , I grew up in Kilburn in the 70s/80s , 90%of my friends were second generation ,growing up always music in the house everything from Big Tom to the Wolfe Tones & that’s why The Pogues were so important to us at that time , it was like “ this is what we’ve been waiting for “ and whats more important he sounded just like us

• Registered Users Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Just talking to a guy who's in the church, standing room only. Guess who's already after giving a blast of a song in there, Glen Hansard!!

• Advertisement

I wasn’t even alive at the time, this was something that was explained in the documentary made about Shane by the BBC in 1997. Ridiculed by Saint Gay.

Advertisement