Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The trial of Molly Martens

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭forumdedum

Burn in hell, scum. An absolute disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,147 ✭✭✭plodder

It's bizarre. I just don't get what was in it for the state. They just let them off scot free. I'm not sure either of them will court publicity over it though. The last thing they would want would be some national level publication picking up the story and running with it, so bizarre were the proceedings in court.

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Photobox

Gutted for the Corbett family. Its sickening

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭SaoPaulo41

Inquiry underway amid concerns Molly and Tom Martens’ release dates wrongly calculated with pair expected to stay in jail until next summer

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/inquiry-underway-amid-concerns-molly-and-tom-martens-release-dates-wrongly-calculated-with-pair-expected-to-stay-in-jail-until-next-summer/a1190465157.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭forumdedum

would still only be 4 years. Absolute **** show. I would get revenge, hand myself in and do the time, pure filth

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭sugarman20

release dates wrongly calculated..

Response from family and public wrongly calculated I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Lecter8319

I’m sick of this kind of post on boards.ie. You know nothing about prison & wouldn’t last 5 minutes in there

• Registered Users Posts: 23,268 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

It Boggles the mind but Molly seems to have a very dedicated fanbase that'd be delighted to marry her.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Can see her doing the rounds on US talk shows discussing what its like to be a victim of domestic violence.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,187 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

I’d say your not far wrong -I’d say she’s in a very delicate mental state though which will prevent her hopefully from ever presenting as “normal” to unsuspecting or suspecting suitors - she’ll likely be “minded” by family members for the rest of her life or sent to a mental health facility if they can no longer cope, assuming money is available to do that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,550 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Delighted to see that the previously announced pre-christmas release date for the Martens has been "re-calculated". It is quite petty, but I would happily buy the administrator who pulled this release date a pint or 4.

It will never bring Jason Corbett back nor salve the loss his kids & family feel that bit more at Xmas, but? I hope that even a fraction of that loss permeates the Marten household as they spend an Xmas apart & behind bars.

I’d say the fact they were in county jail for the last number of weeks was an indication that they were heading for freedom- whether the adverse publicity made them make this U turn or if it was a genuine mistake we’ll likely never know

• Registered Users Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

That does certainly look very dubious how they were never transferred to actual prison.

Also the fact the judge was fawning over the old fellow was nauseating given what everyone knew he had done.

If you were one of those police/prosecution team involved in the original case you would feel really let down.

But this is USA, Southern USA at that, where good old boys have always been given leeway.

All one has to do is look at the likes of the cr** that went on with the Murdaugh family in South Carolina, not a million miles away, to see how justice can work in that part of the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭supereurope

Oh yes, I was just saying to my parents last week that she'll probably be married again within two years of her release.

Whoever takes her as a wife is a far braver man than I.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Lecter8319

Some men love crazy women and she's easy enough on the eye. Mad I know but she'll definitely be hooked up with someone not long after releaase Id say.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Tork

We all saw how the Martens side had its thumb on the scales all the way along. Even if you bought the miscalculation excuse, the pair of them not being moved out of the county jail is quite the stretch. As a small consolation, I hope the pair of them feel really terrible now. If they were looking forward to getting out, being told they're off to a high security prison until next year will sting. Not that I feel sorry for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,161 ✭✭✭✭Water John

• Registered Users Posts: 21,161 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Sorry for the black humour.

Yeah I guess we can be thankful they got a first trial at least - that and the sentence was the true justice- this is just a circus side show put on to give the illusion of justice- hope the whole thing bankrupts them

She might well be, but she is high maintenance and anyone anyway sane would run a mile.

Imagine a family member of yours bringing her around as his new girlfriend.

Most people would be checking there was nothing heavy or certain sports equipment left lying around.

They have avoided spending the rest of their lives behind bars, but their lives as they knew them are over.

Yeah they will have family and close friends that will stand by them believing the bullcr** or maybe couldn't care less, but a lot of people will see them as stone cold killers.

When they walk in somewhere and people cop who they are, there will always be whispers.

Maybe it is the only consolation and that they can never rewrite the facts how they bludgeoned a man to a pulp.

• Advertisement

I would assume she would give a sob story to her next victim husband that she was the victim in all of this, and she did what she did in self-defence. And if he's stupid enough, he'll believe it.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Statement from Tracy Corbett Lynch Jason's sister

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

I think you're forgetting where they live. This isn't rural Ireland where one little mishap requires a person to emigrate. America is a vast country and their story is lost amid a million other horror stories that happen there every week. If they moved to the neighbouring city, let alone the neighbouring state, I doubt they'd ever be recognised.

These pairs of c**ts are going to walk free next summer, reinvent themselves and probably even profit from the whole saga with media appearances and books etc. The alternate reality is a very real thing in the States and they will be going full bore on the battered spouse and protective Dad narrative.

They've literally gotten away with murder

Oh I know how vast US is and how moving cities/states is like going to another country, and in some cases it is like another planet almost.

But that means they have to move, and for the old bast* it is not as easy as for her.

He has traded for years on his FBI connection, now that leads immediately to this story.

Also the internet has made the US as well as the world a lot smaller.

If you lay low then you could reinvent yourself, but are these the types to lay low and blend in.

She starts going out with some guy and someone does some kind of background check and hey ho you find out how warped and evil the fooker really is.

Then the cover is blown.

Maybe I am just hoping their lives are miserable because they deserve nothing better.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

Men are idiots. Molly Martens will have plenty of suitors who will swallow the media narrative and the verdict here. She didn't get a life sentence for 1st degree murder and then do an Andy Dufresne with a miniture pickaxe. She got manslaughter and the judge practically licked her Dad's arse in the appeal. Lots of yanks who haven't a notion about this case will accept the tale that Corbett was a bad guy.

As for the father, he's walking on air. Staring down the barrel of finishing his life in prison to now looking at a short few months before he's back to fishing trips, barbecues, golf and enjoying his generous pension I'm sure. In a violent, macho society like the US, he's as likely to be greeted as a hero wherever he goes as anything else.

Oh I get it. I hope they happen to be on flight that crashes into the ocean some day, but let's be honest. This is a staggering miscarriage of justice and they are absolutely delighted.

I think Jason's nationality worked against him. There are a lot of Americans who are insular and know very little about other countries. That's where stereotypes fill the void. As we all know, the Irish stereotypes aren't complimentary and the defence leaned into some of those. I think that was reflected in Thomas Martens's view of the Corbetts. I don't know them in real life but they sound like a run-of-the-mill Irish family. Yet to the WASPy Martens, they seem to have been a bunch of heavy-drinking leprechaun yokels who were beneath his precious daughter. Unless people in the States were following the case closely, I think a lot of the character assassination stuff made it out into the public consciousness. If they'd slaughtered somebody from the same social class as them, we'd have seen a somewhat different outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,392 ✭✭✭irishgeo

A undisclosed settlement and a huge amount of legal fees would mean his pension might not be too healthy after all.

I thought I read somewhere that they had started a go fund me for this legal battle.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭Be right back

They did. Some Irish people were donating the least amount in order to leave comments..

Does anyone know if there will be any travel restrictions on Molly when she is released? I dread to think of those kids leaving school one day and seeing her hanging around the gates.

• Advertisement

There's no chance she'll be doing that, even if she manages to get back into the country. She wanted the kids when they were young and cute. Why would she want to connect with two young adults who despise her?

Advertisement