Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Central heating

Options
  • 06-12-2023 4:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,389 ✭✭✭✭

Do you know anyone who still has back boiler central heating and only back boiler central heating? or even no central heating?

Back boilers were a great and economical way of heating a home.

Back in the day, there were grants for installing back boiler central heating, now open fires are a thing of the past in new houses. The public policy changes.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,879 ✭✭✭gipi

Buddy of mine bought an old 50s house earlier this year that had 2 open fireplaces (one downstairs, one upstairs) and no other form of heating. There was a back boiler that heated water, that's all.

Previous owner had lived there all his life, till he passed away 18 months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

I know someone with no central heating. Just a range in the kitchen, which is the only heating in the whole house. No hot water, other than what's boiled on the range. They're not poor either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

Lived in a former Airbnb briefly. A stove was the only way to heat the few radiators. It did sh1t job at it too.

Keep the place warm with oil filled radiators mostly.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,389 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I know a few who have back boilers and oil central heating and one rarely uses the oil, the stove with the back boiler heats the house brilleantly the sitting room where the stove is, is almost too warm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭onrail

As modern 'efficient' homes have people spending hundreds per month extra on their electricity bill for nonsense heat pumps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

Yes, my family home has only an open fire with back boiler still.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,389 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

Yes, it heats the radiators and the water cylinder. It's excellent, but labour intensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭Tork

My aunt and uncle have a stove and a back boiler. They're in a medium-sized bungalow and it seems to do a good job of heating the radiators. They used to mostly burn turf and some of their own wood but I don't know what they're using this winter.

Advertisement