Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This Week I are mostly reading (contd)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭eire4

I have read it and quickly became a big John Connolly fan. His Parker novels definitely have a higher level of violence then your average crime novel and as the series moves on an aspect of the supernatural comes into play in the books so obviously not for everyone's tastes but for me I am a big fan and love his books.

Finished Michael Connelly's The Crossing another good offering from his Bosh crime series of books and this one also brings into play his Lincoln Lawyer character.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,018 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I don't mind the supernatural too much, I will keep reading and see how the rest of the book pans out for me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I read 'Everything's Eventual' by Stephen King, which is a collection of his short stories. I enjoyed it and would recommend it if you enjoy his style.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

The Catcher in the Rye.

I'm having a totally different experience reading this as a 40 year old.

Last read it >10 years ago, and first > 10 years before that. Different each time, immensely readable each time.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,018 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I just started The Island by Ragnar Jónasson yesterday and I'm finding it a good read so far. I didn't read anything for a week after finishing Every Dead Thing 😅

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Currently I've been reading When We Cease To Understand The World by Benjamin Labatut which I spotted in a prominent position in my local library.

I had never heard of the author or his book but, given it was long-listed for the 2021 International Booker, I thought it might be worth a go.

I was wrong - it's awful, and I don't think I'll bother finishing it.

The opening chapter was well written but certainly nothing new - James Burke was doing something similar with his brilliant Connections TV series back in the 1970's.

But by the midpoint the book has drifted away from non-fiction, the author is making it up as he goes along, and I'm at a complete loss as to what the point of the book is.

Maybe for someone who isn't familiar with the subject matter it might be engaging but this is not Booker material - not even close!

Genealogy Forum Mod

Tried something new and read Nora Roberts Midnight Bayou. The first time I had read a Nora Roberts book. It started off well and her writing is very good. But the story ( it is a ghost story) really never went anywhere and overall was not great and didn't really draw me in at all. The blurb was about a guy redoing an old haunted mansion near New Orleans and thats what got my attention but really just never could get into the story.

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭Xofpod

Read Booth by Karen Joy Fowler, a fictionalised account of the family and siblings of John Wilkes Booth, US President Licoln's assassin. I had mixed feelings for a while, found it a bit of a slog in places, but delighted I stuck with it because I really liked the book in the end.

I finished The Kraken Wakes by John Wyndham.

I enjoyed it. The book deals with an alien invasion from the point of view of two married journalists. You don't tend to get a lot of information on the aliens so it's largely about the atmosphere and build-up. It kept me engrossed all the same even though the action was at a minimum.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

• Advertisement

I reading The Romantic by William Boyd.

I really love his books. If anyone fancies a good yarn set across interesting historical times, then William Boyd is your man.

Read Righteous by Joe Ide, the second in his IQ series, kind of a modern Sherlock Holmes set around LA. Not as good as the first one but still enjoyable. I'll definitely carry on with the series.

And speaking of series, also read Slough House, the 7th book in Mick Herron's Slow Horses spy series. Great book, maintaining the very high standard of the series. I only have one left to go, which I'm putting off reading because I don't want the series (to date) to be over - surely a good sign of quality...

Also started reading Under Occupation, Alan Furst, the latest in his WWII espionage cycle. They're all standalone rather than a series, and some people accuse him of just rewriting the same book over and over, but I've enjoyed all of them that I've read. For me, he captures perfectly the mood and tone of what Nazi-occupied Paris must have been like.

Currently reading Breaking Point by Edel Coffey. It's a hard subject matter (about a woman who accidentally leaves her 6 month old baby in the car on a hot day and the baby dies - not a spoiler) and the fallout of that on her life. Unsurprisingly I am not exactly eager to see 'what happens next', it's a page turner when I am reading it but at the same time not very enthusiastic for it. A friend lent it to me I knew I would find it hard to read.

Finished Isaac Asimov's sci-fi crime novel Robots of Dawn part of his Elijah Baley series. Not quite as good as the first 2 in the series but still a good read.

Jinxed myself - Under Occupation (Alan Furst) was pretty disappointing. It wasn't up to his usual standard but I wouldn't let it put people off his many other excellent WWII spy novels.

In the guaranteed not to disappoint category, I've just started Colson Whitehead's Crook Manifesto, a follow-up to his previous Harlem Shuffle. Loving it so far.

Finished Michael Connelly's The Wrong Side of Goodbye from his Bosch crime drama series and enjoyed the read. 

Crook Manifesto didn't disappoint, I'd strongly recommend it.

On to Silent City, Sarah Davis-Goff, a follow-up to her previous Last Ones Left Alive, an Irish take on the zombie apocalypse

Finished Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami. This is one of the best books I've read in a long time. I didn't want it to end.

That Old Country Music, Kevin Barry. Absolutely brilliant - I like his novels but he's at his best when he's doing short stories.

Also reading Face it, Debbie Harry's memoir

Finished Raymond Khoury's The Last Templar. A fun historical fiction thriller. Enjoyed the book which was my first by the author.

• Advertisement

I finished The Sunken Land Begins to Rise Again by M. John Harrison. I couldn't get into this. It never seems to go anywhere. I feel it would have worked better as a short story.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭DangerMouse27

Reading Raven Rock by Garret M.Graff.

Fascinating true story about the Continuance of Government (COG) efforts in the US. Heavy on the detail.

Finished ken Bruen's noir crime novel The Emerald Lie. Another brilliant offering from his jack Taylor series. Loved it from start to finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Daisy78

Finishing Stanley Tucci’s Taste. Started Dolly Alderton’s Good Material.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Colston Whitehead's "The Intuitionist". Only third of the way in, but very good.

I've read a good few of his other books and would be interested in how this stacks up.

Finished Isaac Asimov's Robots and Empire the final book in his sci fi robots series. The first 3 books in the series were the best ones but this final one was a good read all the same and actually set the scene a little for his famous Foundation sci fi series. 

Bad Actors, the most recent Slough House book by Mick Herron. Very good, keeps up the standards of the series.

Also reading Edible Economics, Ha-Joon Chang, a fairly neat little book using different foods and dishes from around the world to explain principles and trends in economics.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I'm about half way now (lots on at the moment, v. little time for reading). It feels like there aren't enough pages left for the story to develop properly. I hope I'm wrong, it just gives me the feel of being vol. I of a trilogy.

• Advertisement

Get Shorty, Elmore Leonard. It's OK but I think this may be one of the rare occasions where I preferred the movie...

Leonard can be hit and miss, but I still pick up his books every now and then, so must be more hit than miss.

Advertisement