Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Film forum off topic/random chat thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

That's why they're doing Frozen 3 and 4. They're going to milk it dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

speaking of milking, though if done right a film with Tim Allen in it could be more than a cash grab

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 28,864 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Isn't Wish the one that's meant to be full of Disney references due to releasing on the anniversary?

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Xofpod

Folks, is there a separate thread for Hard to Find/Lost movies? There are a couple of films - American, last 30-40 years, not particularly obscure - that I've been trying to find for the last couple of years with no joy. I've tried the library, streaming services, mainstream online sellers, etc. I'm not looking for any mad collectors editions. just want to watch them...

Any advice/direction to other threads greatly appreciated.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,184 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

There's no specific thread that I can recall, so feel free to start one!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

JustWatch, while not perfect, can often outline what streamers or services you'll find a film - even if it's a (often rip-off) rental from Apple or whatnot. Ditto letterboxd - though IIRC that pulls from Justwatch. I do find myself that if a movie's over 40 years old and not a mainstream classic (like Jaws or the Exorcist), it can be really hard to track down a legitimate copy of the film. Folks have been known to sail the high seas just to put their hands on an oldie.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,184 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

If the film isn't available legitimately, tbh I think it's fair game wherever you find it. YouTube and Archive.org are valuable sources for some films that are not easy to find elsewhere - uploaded illegally or dubiously, of course, but as far as I'm concerned it's a public service if someone cannot, despite their best intentions, find a film elsewhere. Some films are also stuck in rights limbo: The Heartbreak Kid, among the greatest films of the 70s IMO, is caught up in all kinds of copyright shenanigans so is unlikely to see a proper release any time soon. So if there's a version out there - and there certainly is - go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭brevity

My gripe the films on streaming services, particularly Prime, is the lack of a subtitle option.

There are quite a few I would like to watch but without the subtitle it's not much good for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,386 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

• Registered Users Posts: 28,864 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I usually watch with subs as well, but it's annoying when there are other languages spoken that just show like "[Speaking Spanish]" but if you turn off the English subs, it shows the English translation. No option for both.

• Advertisement

It's very frustrating. I really wanted to watch They Look Like People and Shepherd but there isn't any options at all.

They have loads of weird horror/thriller movies that look interesting as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,428 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Macaulay Culkin finally gets his star, he looks happy and healthy with his partner, child and film mother

• Registered Users Posts: 60,386 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Edgar Wright working on rebooting The Running Man.

In a new appearance on the Happy Sad Confused podcast, Wright offered some hints about what his first film since “Last Night in Soho” might be. The director gave an update on his planned reboot of “The Running Man,” Stephen King’s dystopian novel that inspired the 1987 Arnold Schwarzenegger movie of the same name. Wright explained that his film would not necessarily be a remake of the movie, but a more faithful adaptation of King’s novel, including parts that director Paul Michael Glaser omitted.

“’The Running Man’ is something that is in active development,” Wright said. “Why is that interesting to me? It’s like, I like the film but I like the book more, and they didn’t really adapt the book. Even as a teenager when I saw the Schwarzenegger film I was like, ‘Oh, this isn’t like the book at all!’ And I think, ‘Nobody’s done that book.’ So when that came up, I was thinking, and Simon Kinberg says, ‘Do you have any interest in ‘The Running Man?’ I said, ‘You know what? I’ve often thought that that book is something crying out to be adapted.’ Now, that doesn’t mean that it’s easy! But it’s something that we are working on, yes. I’ll tell you that much.”

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

^

Now that is something I'd like to see a fresh version of.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭nachouser

A faithful adaption of the running man would be good, but the long walk would be preferable.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

One of those movies that doesn't quite hold up to a rewatch; a better director and a few shekels more might do wonders.

Though given how Netflix, without any irony, made a real game show of Squid Game, perhaps a new go becomes a little redundant.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,709 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

That's happening too. Well, they're adapting it... No idea if it will be faithful.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,693 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Ok I am at a bit of a brain block here. What is it or who is the person called that film and TV series stars have who look out for parts for them?

TIA

"I Am Legend" sequel is still being worked apparently, but bizarrely, will use the DVD Alternative Ending as its jumping-off point:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,693 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Sure it can probably be found on You-Tube for does who have not seen it and a great way to get people to buy the DVD of if they can find a shop still selling DVD lol.

<US advert meme> Why not both? </US advert meme>

Yeah, like 'Total Recall', it comes off as a bit disappointing nowadays, whereas back in the 80's/90's they were absolutely necessary video rentals 😁 . Although, speaking of which, that remake was kinda shite. Hopefully Edgar Wright can make a good stab at things with his proposed Running Man redo. But TBH, he can be a hit and miss.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,709 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Wasn't the Arnie movie very, very loosely based on the King/Bachman book? I read it over thirty years ago now, so I could be wrong, but I seem to remember it being completely different to the film.

The book, IIRC, is about an unemployed guy who participates in a reality show where he can travel the world but has to avoid hunters and the public who'll get money if they kill him within an allotted time frame.

So the movie is, yeah, very loosely based on the book.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,019 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

The book was much darker (it was King writing under the Richard Bachman name IIRC before that became common knowledge, and those books are generally nastier and darker than most of King's work, which is saying something...). If I remember right the book ends with

the protagonist crashing an airplane into the TV company headquarters

so quite different in tone to the film.

Honestly I can't really remember too much of the book. I read it in school! But it was darker alright. Most books that adapted into movies usually are. I think 'Blade Runner' might be the obvious exception.

That being said, I'll have to dig out 'The Long Walk' and give it another go.

Wait wait wait; you're saying 1990's Total Recall is a disappointment now? In what way? Some of the FX has aged a smidge, but it still has that totally óddball crazy-violent energy classic Verhoeven brought in spades. IMO etc.

Yeah. It didn't do an awful lot for me when I rewatched it a couple of years ago. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It's entertaining, like 'The Running Man', but not what it was.

• Advertisement

Fair enough just curious as I'd have rated as one of those unassailable classics of the 80s/90s? But yes, the remake was just a colossally weird, pointless thing and a waste of everyone's time.

Advertisement