Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dash cam videos thread 3.4 (embedded car dash-cams only)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Totally right to flash them. Just from your few seconds of video you can determine the sense of entitlement they have when driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭Jacovs

This happens nearly everyday, I just dont bother downloading from camera and uploading each instance.

Taxis overtaking in the oncoming lane, forcing a truck to swerve, just to push their way into the queue again at the traffic lights ahead.

This video has 3 impatient idiots, none of whom can wait a few seconds for a light to turn green.

And then this one, nearly everyday, drivers try to use the emergency lane to undertake the queue of traffic. This is right in front of the police station. I dont always manage to force them to reverse, but if i can waste a bit of their time then its something at least. Couple appreciative beeps and thumbs up from the drivers who he undertook and then came back past again. Apologies for my bad language while giving out to him, but they never just apologise and accept they were wrong, always blaming the person who blocks them, because why on earth would anyone dare doing that to them? Selfish a-holes.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Which until you flashed the driver you were doing the speed limit, did it change at all for when you touched 78kph.

TBH Pair of you in it. You for getting annoyed and flashing him, him for getting annoyed and braking, you for getting more annoyed and overtaking on the left in excess of the speed limit.

Classic case of Road Rage starting to get out of hand

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,833 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I wouldn't say totally right to flash them, flashing someone as an admonishment either makes zero difference or causes an overreaction as it did in this case. Much better to make a non issue of the whole thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I'm not a saint here but I wouldn't say the pair of us were at it. I went around them to go about my day. Once they started hitting the brakes I wasn't going to entertain following them behind. It would be a different story if I went around them and started hitting the brakes back at them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,618 ✭✭✭chooseusername

“Left the start of the clip in to show me minding my own business before anyone blames me for something.”

We’ll that didn’t work, if anything it worked against you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,392 ✭✭✭JohnC.

A baffling example of roundabout indicating. Nothing about it makes any sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,318 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Nothing baffling - half of drivers don't know how to navigate a roundabout

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,833 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

It's not the worst use of indicators I've seen. The people at the first exit weren't left 2nd guessing if the driver is going straight or has just forgotten to indicate.

Is this the path you were taking?

I've used a few offset roundabouts like that and think it's safest to have the right indicator on until after the exit before the one your taking. It's in line with the RSA Rules of the Road which ask you to indicate right for any exit after 12 O'Clock, but to knock off the indicator after passing the exit before. The only sus thing about the driver was how late they were turning off the indicator.

The lane markings making the inside lane a correct one for taking an exit after 12 O'Clock make the indicators look a little funny

How did you indicate there @JohnC. ? As a matter of interest .

• Advertisement

Okay, here's a divisive one from me. Me and my wife coming home from dinner, on the N1 heading towards Cape Town direction. Speed limit 120kph (75mph). Where the clip starts I am behind a truck who just overtook someone, but then spent forever getting back into the left lane. I didnt flash them or hoot or anything, was swearing to myself a bit, but I ultimately understand its a long vehicle and its difficult for them to judge in the dark when they are safely past another vehicle.

I then get up to the speed limit, and there's a vehicle going maybe 100kph in the overtaking lane, but as me and the truck just overtook someone else, there was no reason this person should be in the overtaking lane.

As I pass the truck I give a flash of the lights, then 2 or 3 more, while I am still a good distance away and this person has time to move lanes without impeding me. Then I got a bit carried away, because the person refused to move. Then they brake test me down to 33mph (less than 60kph). But I kept a safe enough distance, wasnt right on their ass at any point.

And you can see this person's head turning to look in his rear view mirror at me a couple times. At this point theres another vehicle behind me, also slowed down. The truck I just overtook then undertakes us, then the silver Toyota that we both overtook before the clip starts, then the vehicle behind me pulls out and undertakes us, and then I undertake them.

And yes, I moved back in front of them out of annoyance, then they flashed me and I slowed down from 47mph to 43mph (dont remember braking, just took my foot off, think its them flashing their lights that makes my rear lights show more).

I accept I couldve handled it better. As the saying goes, there was a pair of them in that.

Oh and sound muted because I was swearing loads, and my Irish wife was swearing at me loads. I did give them a long blast of my hooter as I went past them.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,134 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Any driver indicating to the right while driving in the outside lane of a roundabout should be shot with balls of their own shite

Is their a reason you think a driver shouldn't follow the rules of the road?

They are quite clear you indicate right if taking any exit after 12 O'clock, and you follow lane markings when picking a lane

• Registered Users Posts: 4,379 ✭✭✭standardg60

While slightly offset it's pretty clear that roundabout wouldn't fall under the 12 o'clock rule, which isn't hard and fast anyway.

Even the lane marking shows straight on so there was no need to indicate and doing so could lead to confusion that the car intended to take the actual exit around to the right.

No indicator and then indicate left once past the first exit. That's not to say I haven't seen others doing the same as above, it has crept in over the last few years.

Its clearly after 12 in a roughly 1 o'clock position, the rule would be indicate right if taking an exit after 2 o'clock if it was the case.

When did the roundabout rules change, the switch to the clock face system seems to have been missed by a lot of people

I get the clock face is well meaning but it would be farcical to apply it literally to that roundabout, the lane markers thought so too.

Sometimes rules should be left as they are rather than causing more confusion in an attempt to cause less.

What roundabout do you enter in the left lane when taking an exit after 12 o clock?

And what roundabout do you maintain a right indicator in the outside lane even before the first exit?

Absolute knob, not you btw!

Had one slightly similar experience here once, on a motorway with a car following a truck in the left lane, both going around 80kmh. As i went to overtake the car pulled in front of me at the last minute, then braked and drove alongside the truck for a few hundred metres with the driver frantically giving the 'slow down' gesture. I just stuck my full beams on until they finally sped up and moved in.

A roundabout such as the one in the video where it's indicated to do so via lane markings.

What problem was caused by the driver in the video using the indicator in the way that they did. People entering from the first exit were clear that the driver was continuing around the roundabout and wasn't just doing the typical approach of not indicating at all.

For people in the 2nd lane they may have avoided overtaking the driver due to the indicator, overtaking on roundabouts is frowned upon anyway.

I had a colleague from Germany, they were taught to put an indicator on to go round the roundabout and switch to an exit signal just before their exit. Overall I think that ends up removing a lot of the guess work from roundabouts.

What problem?

Well apart from indicating right in a left or straight lane only which is completely wrong, if there was a car alongside (not overtaking) but also going straight as they were entitled to do per the lane markings, they would have had to brake in case the moron indicating right actually went right.

I don't know how you can't see that.

• Advertisement

So when you indicate in accordance to the rules of the road, driver act more cautious? Sounds like a win for me

• Registered Users Posts: 6,384 ✭✭✭Damien360

I don't flash anymore at all. Don't even honk the horn. I just calmly go around the inside of the car not even breaking the speed limit. A person cruising along at a low speed in the outside lane is oblivious to why you are flashing. It completely changes your anger on the road by just ignoring it and motor on. Illegal but I've given up caring. Flashing loads is far more aggressive behaviour and you could end up in a road rage incident with the idiots.

Im just glad I didnt turn the switch to go from 2H into 4H and overtake on the right side of him. That wouldve been proper messed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭AirBiscuit

Only 2 examples I can think of have an exit leading onto a dual carriageway where you intend to be in the left lane after exiting the roundabout: The N4 onto the N17

And the N17 onto the Tuam Bypass

But I agree. The driver in that clip was indicating poorly, despite what the "um ackshually that exit was 0.0027374° after the 12 O'clock therefore correct indicating" crowd here will say

• Registered Users Posts: 13,690 ✭✭✭✭josip

On this one, if going to Dun Laighaire from the M50, the 2nd exit is a bit beyond 12 o'clock. Only the left lane can go to Dun Laoghaire and unless you indicate right going around the roundabout, traffic coming from Rochestown Avenue often think you're taking the fist exit and pull out in front of you.

I assume that is signposted for you before you enter the roundabout?

So neither of those examples need the driver to indicate right before passing the first exit then ?

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭dickdasr1234

Better watch yourself if using the Spawell roundabout right lane going straight through to Ballyboden/Knocklyon!!

Best think of it as Irish time, 12 o'clock could be an hour or so early or late. Not every roundabout is symetrical.

What about this one; first exit at about 2:30, Left lane, or right lane. indicator?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭Vic_08

It isn't beyond 12 o'clock, it is exactly 12 and it is also clearly marked on approach that the left lane only is for DL, not that it stops regular queue jumpers from using the right lane and dive bombing the exit.

What on earth makes you think it is allowed to turn right at these roundabouts from the left lane?

It isn't and anybody who does this is a dangerous idiot.

Even on the 1st pic you posted the arrows clearly show the 2 entry lanes for straight ahead, your path would cut up anyone beside you correctly taking that route.

Advertisement