Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dash cam videos thread 3.4 (embedded car dash-cams only)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,468 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Sounds like poor design in the first place if they're position too close to each to be distinct.

Is it legal to have the side lights going off periodically?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Operation characteristics of vehicle indicators for vehicles operated in the EU and broader UNECE member countries comes under the UN type approval system. A vehicle would not be given type approval if it didn't comply with regulations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭AirBiscuit

Everyone's brave until a car stops.

I didn't see it at the time but the lad directly in front practically pisses himself trying to run away when he hears the car door open.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,303 ✭✭✭standardg60

That's shocking driving, was that you who careered through the out of action lights?

When lights are out, you yield to the right, just like a roundabout, no wonder the other driver was annoyed, could have been a serious accident there.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

A junction without lights is not treated like a roundabout. The priority turns into the same as any non signal controlled junction. The major road takes priority, people turning across other traffic lanes are the lowest priority. The poster of the video had priority and proceeded at a suitable speed, the people turning to enter the M50 slip were also proceeding cautiously as they should. The actions of the car that stopped added confusion to the situation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,329 ✭✭✭Damien360

Although 100% correct, that approach won’t account for the idiot coming from the minor road like that assuming they have right of way. I see it all the time at a crossroads in my own town where the lights fail quite a few times a year. I would have slowed down but not stopped as I passed through.

What if it's an equal priority junction and both drivers assume they have right of way?

Look at the video again and you can see what happens with that approach. The drivers turning right are sitting in the junction constantly so the drivers coming up the slip road can't get onto it to turn right. So they've ended up pushing their way in and have blocked the road on the other side for the straight traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,655 ✭✭✭✭josip

I can't think of any situation where a driver turning across the other lane would have right of way? It's not the fault of the cam car that the lights are out of order and traffic isn't flowing freely.

I will often leave gaps or low to let drivers across when I'm on a single-lane road. But on a multi-lane road it's simply dangerous and you will see examples of this on most dashcam compilations.

In the case of equal priority roads it becomes a free for all for the two roads as one does not have priority over the other, we do not have the concept of treating it like a four way stop as they do in the US. Important to note that this is not the case in the video that was posted. You also shouldn't mistake priority as permission to barrel through a junction, just like a green light at a junction does not mean you can go whilst completely ignoring any traffic conditions.

In the video the drivers turning right would of been able to just as easily proceed after the Zafira and the video poster had passed through the junction without needing the Zafira driver to play traffic director and start a light show.

Drivers coming from the M50 trying to turn right are also turning across traffic and do not have priority over the path that video poster took. In that case again it's a case of equal priority. I'd expect if their was a particular case of traffic build up that the people working on the lights would start to direct traffic.

Someone decided to do a U Turn, on a bend, in the dark. Brown Trousers moment ensued for both drivers - luckily the first car had flashed the headlights and I'd slowed down (knew it wasn't a speed camera, there's no room for one in the area).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,910 ✭✭✭kirving

I was at or under the limit, lifted off, and also braked when the car pulled in front of me. There are very few examples (outside of car parks) where you would normally yield to the right, and even fewer which are signal controlled.

It's not an equal priority junction though. Red is crossing Blue, then Green's path so must wait for both. Blue is Crossing Green's path so must wait for Green.

Perhaps I could have slowed more, but you should never flash someone to go against your own right of way. It creates confusion and pressure on the car pulling out.

I know it looks like a straight through right of way but these intersections with motorways are complicated. I remember before the upgrade of the m50 that these junctions were all roundabouts, and still are when lights aren't involved, otherwise red would be there all day having to yield to both directions.

Did you rewatch the video seeing how much the other side was blocked up? Whilst I could argue myself that I had right of way I'd have stopped for the 30 seconds it would have taken to allow the traffic to clear. I think the other driver that stopped saw this and was hoping you'd do the same, not excusing the motorway entry afterwards though.

It's a good example of why yielding to the right ensures better traffic flow, though I'm also a bit shocked that some think that at an equal priority junction it becomes a free for all, I was always taught yield to the right.

There's nothing in the rules of the road that magically turns an out of order light controlled junctions into a roundabout, even if it was historically before being upgraded. That's something either you've made up, or your instructor was very deficient. Here's what the RSA have to say about right of way.

Don't mistake yielding to traffic on the right at an equal junction, for priority not being a thing, the two concepts are linked but not the same.

In any case, on the junction from the video, it's not a crossroads, and I would treat the multi lane R113 as the major road over the single lane slips. What was shown in the video was traffic proceeding straight on the R113, taking the right of way over other traffic on the R113 that was turning right to leave the road. There were a couple of cars coming up the slip who were also navigating through to turn right, they again lose priority due to not going straight in that case they are likely to yield to the cars from the R113 turning right as they are on the right.

Don't mistake yielding to traffic on the right at an equal junction, for priority not being a thing, the two concepts are linked but not the same.

That sentence doesn't make any sense, but at least we've established that at an equal junction traffic on the right has right of way.

The considerate thing do to at the junction in the video would have been to cede to traffic already at the junction on the right and in the process of turning right in the middle of the junction, exactly as you'd do at a roundabout.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,278 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Where traffic crosses the main flow then they should give way

At a crossroads with lights out then first there has priority and beyond that good manners (which is very much lacking on Irish roads)

All should proceed with caution and be aware of other traffic turning and crossing your path (but always some dick saying screw you)

Video above he was in the right as had right of way - was in the main road with other traffic trying to cross it

In no way shape of form is it the correct thing to do for traffic heading straight through a junction on the major road to stop to yield to traffic that is turning either from the same major road on the other side across your path, or from the minor road into your path. The going straight on the major road rule applies.

It was especially daft in the video as the Zafira was stopped with a clear carriageway behind them. By putting on the light show they were inciting the other drivers to pass through the active traffic lane that did have right of way. It's a dangerous action and likely to cause a collision. Do we even get into the fact the Zafira did so from a lane marked R113 instead of being in the correct lane for joining the M50 Southbound as they eventually did at the next junction. All in all it was just terrible driving by the Zafira.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,468 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Post edited by AndrewJRenko on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

Red light jumper....(far left lane)

Driver unsure if left or right lane...

www.sligowhiplash.com - 3rd & 4th Aug '24 (Tickets on sale now!)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,224 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

• Registered Users Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

This guy really didn't like being flashed. Came up behind at speed and tailgated for a minute before going around. Left the start of the clip in to show me minding my own business before anyone blames me for something.

Post edited by DaveyDave on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,051 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Post edited by Ghost Train on

• Registered Users Posts: 51,144 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Always amazes me how even though these knuckle draggers are always in such a hurry yet have all the time in the world for a confrontation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭McCrack

Why bother flashing at all, they passed you out that's all and if that bus lane is not 24 hour you should have been driving on the left

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Have to agree, why flash? He knew you were there otherwise he'd have driven into you and flashing of lights has only one meaning, to indicate you are there without using horn

• Registered Users Posts: 5,910 ✭✭✭kirving

The OP not obliged to use a bus lane which is not in operation.

The other driver is not allowed to overtake on the left, save for when in slow moving traffic, which they weren't. Both drivers crossed the solid white line, and the only one with reasonable cause to do so was the OP, as the other driver was brake testing them.

I'd be straight to the gards with that clip. Intentionally trying to cause a collision. Their insurance company would love to see it too I think - because they'll be on the hook for sorting it out for example if the OP wasn't insured.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,151 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Totally agree.

@kirving @Spook_ie @McCrack not great advice on driving. Motorist does not have to enter a marked bus lane out of hours and there is nothing in law that says they must.

@Spook_ie @McCrack I see nothing wrong with the flash. I would have done the same. We do not need to share the road with people that do not respect the rules of the road or other road users. I would report them for that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭McCrack

If that bus lane was not 24 hour then dash cam driver should be keeping left, we see this all the time at night and also middle lane hoggers with a complete empty lane beside them.

If someone passes you, they pass you absolutely no need to flash them

• Registered Users Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I flashed because I was annoyed, hardly an overreaction on my part. I understand some people might think "why bother" but I'm hardly a menace to society for doing so and it's not entirely uncommon for someone to flash silly driving.

Tailgating and undertaking isn't the worst offence on the road but it annoyed me at that moment. With the speed they were approaching they could have just went around but for some reason decided to slow down and tailgate the only other car on the road because they apparently had nothing better to do at 4am.

"If someone passes you, they pass you absolutely no need to flash them" except that it wasn't just someone passing me. It was tailgating and undertaking. I'm not sure why you're downplaying their driving then making a mountain out of a molehill for me flashing them once and despite the other drivers extreme overreaction, the thing you take away from that clip is whether or not the bus lane is in operation.

This reply is already more effort than it needs to be. I flashed someone, other people may or may not have done the same, the other driver plays games and has an extreme overreaction. That's it.

It's also a 24hr bus lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭dickdasr1234

Hehe, wish to god I had a video of the incident on the M50 some years ago where I sat behind an SUV doing 85 in the outside lane with nothing inside of him for more than a mile. Eventually, seeing traffic some 4/500 yards ahead, I decided to undertake him while the opportunity was still there. (I should state that, being a country boy, I thought undertaking was criminally insane before I came to work in Dublin). The hoor accelerated in response.

It then became a matter of ego versus ignorance and I floored it and cleared him with plenty of room and no risk/braking involved.

The hoor went nuts and went out of his way to follow me (later did a u-turn) and pass me so he could stand (and I mean stand!) on the brakes in front of me.

This idiot had at least two children in the car with him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,151 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

I am afraid you are wrong.

There is no requirement for any driver to stay left in that scenario, nor does the presence of an out of hours bus Lane turn the road into a dual carriage way to permit a legal undertake due to traffic moving faster in the inside lane (which is the only way you can legally undertake). An empty bus lane does not mean it's not bus lane,it may be designated a 24 hr one making the driving pathetic and your assertions on how it was the other driver at fault incorrect.

In any urban area, there is very little reason or justification to be overtaking any vehicle unless they are going incredibly slow, which was not the case in the video

Middle lane hogging is wrong, and very frequent, but thats for motorways, not reflective of what happened in that clip.

Advertisement