Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strong policing on the streets of Dublin tonight (24/11) - **Read OP before posting**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭spakman

Louise O'Reilly saying if Helen McEntee won't resign, the Taoiseach "needs to take her out".

That's the type of tactic SF would be familiar with alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,466 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Probably? I’d say definitely.

I’m not advocating Gardai breaking the law here, but it’s like a Garda draws his baton these days and it’s straight to GSOC and suspension - it’s disgusting (to repeat a phrase from a former commissioner who was equally disgusting)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

Agree that the city needs strong policing and a dedicated Garda force. Citizens, workers and visitors need to be able to go about their day in safety. What happened to those children and their teacher was appalling and hopefully the person responsible for that awful crime will be prosecuted asap.

The people who caused havoc by rioting, looting, terrorising workers and damaging property should also be prosecuted. The lack of garda presence in the city is wrong and needs to be addressed urgently by the government.

While those issues are not in any way disputed, some of the posts on this forum over the past few days were really depressing to read. It really is sad but true that many people on boards despise some Irish citizens, ie the people living between the canals in Dublin. I saw posts calling for citizens to be beaten up, get a good hiding, have their skulls cracked, and some posters think that importing different police forces with dogs to control the city centre, or a baton happy force to beat citizens up is a good idea. Then some posters thought that people living in social housing in the those areas should be turfed out of their homes to less densley populated places, and other more suitable or more deserving folks would be able to live in the city centre instead (go-getters IIRC) or the council could gentrify the area for tourists and those who can afford to buy luxury properties.

Citizens from Dublin were described as thugs, knackers, vermin, feral youths, wasters, layabouts, un-educated, scrotes, burglars, facists, parasites, far-right supporters and many other really nasty names. It is widespread on boards and is offensive to Dubliners. Hopefully when Helen McEntee's new legislation is passed, it will finally put a stop to this type of horrible hate speech against a particular section of Dublin people.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,754 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I said a couple of posts back that I accept that you don't rate the Commissioner.

If you think that replacing him will usher in a new regime where GSOC and The Policing Authority will have less influence then I can't persuade you otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Sinn Fein really live rent free in some people's heads.

Take a break, go out and have a pint lads will ye.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

There are still significant differences between EU country policing.

The French Police, for example.

They are much more aggressive physically than our Guards.

So there is obviously scope for the Guards to be physically tougher in their policing, without falling foul of EU conditions.

700,000 PAYE workers protested in 1980 for tax reform - these riots have woken up a lot of people as to what’s happening out there - don’t underestimate the “crowd”- a few hundred scrotes will be squashed and brutally suppressed

• Registered Users Posts: 14,640 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

It's nothing to do with EU conditions, that Spanish etc. beating type of policing is long gone here and won't ever be back.

To those familiar with the realities of policing here, talk of this stuff is laughable. It would in no way be accepted here no matter what is said here.

In 2021 Gardai were having fireworks launched at them in Dublin and the crowd was charged to disperse them and posters here were up in arms at it. People are all talk of 'giv dem a hidin' and when it's done 'oh it was very aggressive'. People like the idea but not the reality.

If it isnt EU conditions restricting tougher policing, what is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Agree gardai should not assault anyone, members of the public or prisoners. It's the fear of the extreme scrutiny that has tied their hands.

And all EU police forces are not the same, for example, Dutch police can shoot people in the back while they are running away, if a member of AGS did that, they would be charged with murder. There are very different rules on the use of force in different EU countries. Just look at the police on the streets in some other countries.

• Advertisement

I don’t rate the commissioner - but that doesn’t mean a new commissioner can’t drive change, positivity reassurance and morale uplift - you seem to be tethered to the concept that all commissioners must behave as the current commissioner is doing - that’s just stupid and non sensical so I’ll bow out of this stupid argument but no doubt you’ll reply with something equally bizarre

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Quitelife

There is an estimated 100-150 drug dealers and drug runners operating in the O Connell street / talbot street / Boardwalk/ West Moreland street area every day selling to 1500-2000 drug addicts . It’s going on for years and has got worse and worse in the past ten years

How do you sort that out ?

The Garda representative association have been extremely vocal in their members no confidence in the commissioner. Indeed they have been extremely vocal in the lack of members to police the city.

not one politician backed the gra or the Garda members when they had a vote of no confidence, different story now.

The police in France also have an ombudsman structure and an independent oversight authority.

Their police are also required to operate in compliance with legislation.

I have posted on this thread and others in support of AGS forming a para military type division to deal with serious public disorder.

I agree with you that there is scope for a more robust policing response here.

I don't believe this can be achieved on the hoof by the Commissioner it needs political and legislative support.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,640 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Different societies have different expectations of policing. The Spanish and Portuguese etc. are fine with the police handing out summary beatings..that doesn't fly here and never will just as it wouldn't in Germany or the UK.

In the UK some forces have started knocking lads off mopeds with cars, that wouldn't be accepted here. Here detectives are routinely armed, in the UK they aren't.

The public also don't have a clue about policing, any time something like this happens there's talk of 'give the Gardai batons and pepper spray'...they've had the former since 1922 and the latter since 2008. A poster in a thread a few weeks ago thought the Gardai only started wearing stab vests this year and they're wearing them 17 years.

as Oscar Goldman used to say- “we have the technology”- so I think we need to look at the judiciary as to why we can’t get rid of these pr1cks

Absolutley. Well said.

But is there appetite within any political party to make that change?

I dont see it, but I could be wrong.

And there you have it.

Its up to us to change what is acceptable. We arent being hemmed in by EU law.

We cant complain too much about policing and its show of force if we wont countenance a change.

Well the dealers and runners could be locked up.

The addicts could be put into rehab.

In fairness to the Guards, how many times have they arrested dealers/runners, only to see them released without consequence.

You could argue that we need a change in sentencing to crack down properly, but of course, we dont have the prison space to do that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭Get Real

I think there should be more protection for Gardaí using force, when it can be justified and I know what's justifiable to some, may not be justifiable to others so there'll always be criticism regardless. I think it's important to have accountability and on the whole am happy that overall we don't take a Spanish or French approach for everything.

But we're back at the courts system and legislation once again, that's at the core of this and our societal problems. I'm all for rehabilitation and chances. Increase the carrots even, but have a firm legal and lawful stick.

It's reported in the Mirror that this suspect was previously arrested and prosecuted for possession of a knife in May. The guards did their job there. The courts system let us down.

I mentioned similar in July regarding youth crime in this post (numerous examples of youths prosecuted and....nothing) https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/120880110#Comment_120880110

I said how politicians in July will use words until the next incident.

Well this is the next incident. The courts dealt with this man before, less than 6 months ago.

For that, McEntee needs to go imo. No more words. The guards are a part of the justice system, they're not the whole justice system. And a separate part once again can be shown to have failed the guards, the victims and the public.

Edited to add: I don't want to be confused or associated with those racist idiots also calling for her to go. I mean in relation to her responsibilities regarding the law and courts system. I think these "protests" and any point made in relation to any other aspect of the case is an absolute disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Mullaghteelin

Ireland seems to have a lot of sacred cows that are not up for debate, but if we looked at common practice across Europe we are often the odd ones out.

Often it comes down to a type of Irish exceptionalism. "We are better than that", or "That's just not the way we do things here".

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Anaki r2d2

Arrest them. Put them into prison. Stop tip toeing around it.

I suppose the degree of scrutiny is up for discussion but there must be checks and balances.

Most rules of engagement for armed police officers only allow shooting people who present danger to the police or members of the public.

As I said in another post I support a more robust form of policing but with the caveat that it must be within the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 CatLick

French "police" are gendarmerie outside of the main towns and are a branch of the military. That may explain why they are physically fit unlike an Irish or British policeman. The CRS are the riot police and would have "intervened" during the Dublin riots. They literally hang around in packs and don't take any crap. It's also fair to say the French don't really like their police.

• Nothing to do with them being Dubliners. A scrote is a scrote whether they are from Cork, Limerick, Galway or wherever. It's their behaviour that's the reason they are called such, nothing else.

It's a long term solution I know, but until the social welfare system in this country incentivises this group of people not to have children only then are we getting somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭holliehobbie

The Union I’m a member of has sent us two emails about it so far.

Of course it must be within the law!

The way things have gone now there is more chance of a member being charged with something, then the person they arrested getting a conviction.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,680 ✭✭✭flutered

• Advertisement

The issues here are Nothing to do with physical fitness

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement