Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Charging without a driveway

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭konline

I am happy to this post. I have the same issue, I have a pavement between my house and the car, i.e no driveway. Could someone share the contact details of the person/company in Dublin who installs the car charger like above? Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,206 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

This crowd do it apparently:

https://evchargingstations.ie/projects/

An example for about 3m of pavement including a charger is around €3,000 apparently but of course there's the issue of the council, a management company etc.

Personally I'd like to know if there's a possibility for a simple duct so a charger can be used without installing a pedestal. Spaces outside my house are only 2.4x5m each so limited space, would prefer to have little in the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭zg3409

Firstly the temporary option, I would be worried about a claim, some attempted to get it added to house insurance but they would not cover it. Some suggested CCTV might limit risk.

In terms of physically installing, it can be done, however you need permission from footpath owner, if it's county council it's practically impossible although some in UK got a channel cut with a rain drain with a cover where the cable can be dropped inside.

If residence association they you need approved insured contactor. The biggest hurdle is getting the thumbs up from management company. They are worried about a claim hitting them. What is upside for them? Often they only meet one time a year. Typically they just say no by default. In order to get a yes, you need a full insured plan where you will take care of everything and bring a complete project for approval, and there is no risk to management company if a claim or downside. If you just fire off a random email don't expect the result to be positive. Costs are often 3000+ and you may not get grant, but may get grant possibly by accident.

Thanks for your post. This is what exactly happened to me. My management company says, they can't give permission because of insurance issue and advising me to wait till the estate is handed over to County Council. We all know that it won't happen for 10 yrs at least or may never happen. Government is talking about abolishing ICE cars and promoting EV cars in 10 yrs time, if over 80% of houses can't install charging units, I am not sure how this would be implemented.

Has anyone had similar issue and found a solution?

Some people have continued to drive a petrol or diesel until they live somewhere with a charger. Come 2030 assuming they don't do a policy change, you can still buy 1 year old petrol and diesel cars.

Some have moved house.

In reality you have already got a no changing that to a yes will be very difficult. Insurance is often just an excuse to not try. With the council taking over it may be more difficult but over time the rules and liability may change. They might decide to install chargers in all spots some day.

• Advertisement

Depends on where you live I suppose, a local councillor in SDCC shared a point from a meeting on the SDZ zone where I live saying the developer and council need to provide a solution for facilitating a charger. My estate isn't finished and God only knows when, if, the council will take over, and they're only taking the roads and paths whereas parking spaces belong to management. Whether that's the OMC or management company, is another question...

We already pay public liability insurance and there's already companies out there installing charge points in parking spaces outside houses which I believe is all above board so the question of the insurance risk, planning etc should have an answer.

So far, a channel in the path covered by a metal drain cover is a cost effective, safe solution in my eyes.

Apparently SEAI have a grant coming out for these installation charges but in my opinion the councils should be paying, at least in my case where they purposely plan parking spaces outside private houses.

In my case I bought the car already :( Management company is unhelpful.

Thanks.

Post edited by konline on

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Cdemess

. ..

Post edited by Cdemess on

There is no shame in switching cars if it does not suit your use case. In the future all parking spaces may have chargers, but for now pick the mode of transport that makes sense. Some people with very large battery EVs with local 50+kW chargers charge for 20 to 40 minutes a week which covers them. It's ideal if you have a 50+kW charger at your local Tesco or lidl, or workplace charging, but the risk is when you need it someone else is using it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,930 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

All new parking spaces will have chargers. I can see big problems getting a lot of current parking places fitted with chargers and this is going to be a big issue when people are looking to change cars, easy to use ICE or plan ahead BEV, and the government hitting their target for BEV cars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,360 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Your not really. Unless there is an insurance policy in place no solicitor will take a case. As there won’t be a pool of money to kay out from.

There'd be an insurance policy in place on both ends of the cable and the people are never shy about suing for pavement issues in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Laviski

I have a driveway but barely charge at home. Im doing about 13K a year since got a leaf and dealing with the changes as a result of covid when means i'm doing less than what i was pre covid where i would have been doing about 18k.

• Avail of city center parking where you only pay for electricity ( cheaper than paying for parking , apparently doesn't apply in come councils eg: dublin)
    • shopping centers where there is free charging.
    • the rare trip to the office where there is free charging.

As a result my fuel cost is pretty much non-existent. This scenario won't apply to everyone obviously so just look at your circumstances and see where you can charge for free and importantly is it feasible..... that doing such tasks doesn't put you out of your way.

I didn't have a driveway, i wouldn't be impacted by much.... there is still the issue of dealing with long journeys where when i leave i would like to be 100% so that's where plugging in at home comes in handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭innrain

I know it is a gimmick but it is something there. Maybe manufacturers will come up with a replaceable module like this that will charge the main battery from the boot. 4kWh is very small though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Interesting indeed - if it'll add an extra 50km to an EV, it would be nice as a top-up (an EV equivalent of a Jerry can, if you will)

It's handy that it's portable. My only concern with it being portable, is that it's portable and looks like it could be easily nicked. I wonder what anti-theft protection they have on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

• Registered Users Posts: 28,926 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I can't help wondering, if/when ICE cars are no longer allowed (which seems to be the intention in the medium term), what are they going to do with all the people like me who live in houses with no driveway, and free-for-all parking on the public road?? There must be thousands of us!

I also have no way of charging a car at work.

They're hardly going to install chargers at every parking space in the city...

Someone will install a charger outlet on path, the driver will stay with ICE or hybrid with increased costs, or owner will charge at work or at supermarket on 50kW+ charger. This is inevitable even if it's 10 or 20 or 30 years from now.

Many new housing estates have unassigned non driveway parking.

Boggles the mind how local councils are allowed to continue forcing estates to have parking spaces knowing the issue around charging already exists. I live in an SDZ and it's been brought up by councilors as far back as 3 years ago, although planning rules are from 2014 I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭innrain

They're hardly going to install chargers at every parking space in the city...

Believe it or not this is going to happen in the next 10-15 years. But is not that our gov or LCs will solve this problem which it is seen as a low priority in the Irish society due the low ratio of multi development units to houses. The solution will come from the countries where such problem runs deeper. Afterall they are not actually chargers but some glorified sockets and the most intelligent component in them is the billing module.

Here are some examples:

Westminster  -- pop 250k surface 21.5 km2 over 1000 chargers

https://www.westminster.gov.uk/parking/electric-vehicles You can even request one if you think the closest is too busy or too far away.

Vienna half the size of Dublin as surface the same pop: 1k chargers installed already

https://www.electrive.com/2021/06/22/wien-energie-installs-1000-charge-points-in-vienna/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,574 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Maybe they'll follow the Japanese approach, where you have to have your own storage space for your vehicle before you buy it, so no using public space to subsidise your transport choices?

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭GusGus

I Don’t have a home charger and trying to get a management company to engage is just so difficult .

I have a 50kw near me - I’m seriously thinking of buying electric and seeing Hiw it goes . Have a diesel car in the household too so should be ok I hope …. If it doesn’t work I’ll sell - prob lose a good bit but think I’ll give it a try ….

Beware 50kW chargers can be busy at peak morning evening times with 2 or more cars queuing. Sometimes it can take 1 hour plus queuing before you start charging, and sometimes they become broken and are not fixed for 1 year+. Personally I would not recommend it. If you had workplace charging it would be ok, but depending on mileage and car you may need to charge multiple times per week.

There's plenty of space in my development. The problem is how to get power to the spaces.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭willabur

We live in a terraced house but our door is right beside the shared parking space.

I have installed a charging point outside our front door and run a cable up the path which we own. The cable has to traverse a few inches of shared space. Maximum a foot between our path and the car. Which I know is a grey area. The cable is detachable so it is not lying around as a trip hazard.

That Zip Charge is interesting. Charge the device at home or work then leave the battery to charge the car while at work or home during the day. Only issue is if used several times a week how many years would it last.

I work shifts so could charge the car at home from 2-5am or on my day shift charge before bed at 10-11pm and the GF could unplug at 6am when going to work. Nobody is ever walking past my house at those hours and it wouldn't be daily either so no real issue to residents.

I know I'd forget or not be bothered some nights so not always ideal but between that and something like the Zip Charge I could see myself getting by until a solution for my estate is brought in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 wyen789

Hi All, only came across this post recently and wondered has anyone had luck installing charger cable through footpath where footpath owned by management company? I'm in a similar situation where my house has a common footpath running in front of my entrance and between my property and the parking space with management company refusing to respond positively on installing an ev charger.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,501 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Another option I've seen is the charging arm, NMD do them, could be an option for some people

A number of people in my estate and the surrounding ones have installed under the footpath, not sure what conoani they used but nobody asked for permission, better to ask for forgiveness. Estates are pending handover with the local council.

Once handed over the council are in charge of the footpaths and they seem reluctant for approving things for new estates after they're built.

• Advertisement

Ideally you need a defined marked designated space and then you pay yourself for an insured company to do all the work. The management company kay be worried about someone tripping over the charger or cable to the car and the impact on their public liability quote or cover. Typically management companies say no to everything by default.

Advertisement