Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Case Review of Sophie Tuscan du Plantier murder to proceed. **Threadbans in OP**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

You're faith in AGS getting close to Bailey is based on rumour and speculation when we know that absolutely everything in the public domain relating to the case fails to implicate him (plus you also have the DPP saying that the "evidence" against Bailey is nothing of the sort).

The reality is that Bailey for all his faults (and he seems to have many) is about as likely to be charged with murder as I am. Even if some new evidence comes to light, AGS have made such a hames of the investigation that they have most likely damaged any possibility of a successful trial.

Now stop reading sh1te like The Sun and stop believing there is some truth to rumours from people who know sweet FA !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭Musicrules

Calm down, we all know the investigation was flawed. We also know Bailey is still the most likely killer, the local rumours I've been told is that they're still after Bailey. So forget the sun and look forward to Bailey and his supporters squirming.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭flanna01

On one hand, you say that they're coming for Bailey.. And that he must be bricking it...?

Then you state that there will not be enough circumstantial evidence to convict him...?

And the Bailey supporters will be going into melt down..??

What in the devil's briefcase are you ranting on about??

You think the only local suspect was Ian Bailey??? Really?? Have you studied the case at all??

You certainly got your money's worth from the Sun newspaper, probably best to leave it at that.

All the ??????? Clearly rattled. The net is tightening, it will ruin Bailey's Christmas anyway. 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 4,395 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

If there's sufficient evidence to prosecute someone they will probably be prosecuted, if they are still alive that is.

I don't know what your fixation on one individual's Christmas being ruined is.

If new evidence comes to light, it might result in a prosecution but I won't hold my breath waiting or second guess where that evidence might lead until it is known.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,766 ✭✭✭Deeec

Nothing has changed at all Musicrules. I dont think Bailey is at all 'rattled' by this - its nothing new at all for him. If you have been following this case there is always stuff in the media stating that there is 'new evidence' or an arrest is imminent and nothing whatsover happens.

Nothing written this week makes me believe they are any closer to arresting Bailey or any other suspect. Its just another slow news day and a journalist making news by writing about this case.

What makes you believe this time is different to the numerous similar reports over the years?

There is nothing, not a shred, to suggest that he is in any way involved so not sure why you claim that he is "the most likely killer".

As for "his supporters", I'm not sure who exactly they are as I really couldn't give a toss about him and I'm not aware of anyone else here who would "support" him. What I do believe is that he has been implicated in a crime by AGS and the media despite the complete absence of evidence against him. I have a distrust of how AGS handled murder cases in the past and what were seeing here is along similar lines to how Joanne Hayes or Martin Conmey, Dick Donnelly and Martin Kerrigan (who was subsequently murdered by the victims relatives) were directly accused of brutal murders by the murder squad despite no evidence (we still have one retired member of the murder squad until recently telling us that despite DNA evidence, etc, Joanne Hayes is still the mother and murderer of baby John).

In terms of Bailey, we even have our DPP claiming that the "evidence" that AGS have against him shows nothing to implicate him in the murder.

And despite this, we ago have eejits posting the same unsupported crap and who believe that Bailey is some evil genius who can commit a horrible crime, probably while drunk, and yet leaves not a shred of evidence behind 🙄

Going on what I've been told, locally they are saying Bailey is the only suspect remaining from the latest investigation. They haven't spoken to him yet so an arrest is expected. It mightn't happen but Bailey is worried, make no mistake.

Also, he is the main suspect because of his lies about his whereabouts, the injuries he had on his arm and head, his history of violence, his many confessions, the realistic theory which came from his mouth, the opportunity, the intimate knowledge of the house and so on.

There's no evidence left from anyone so whoever did it got extremely lucky but the net is tightening on Bailey. There'll be those upset by his arrest and the long list of circumstantial evidence but who cares. A conviction is unlikely but Bailey will never be left in peace.

There's no evidence left from anyone so whoever did it got extremely lucky

A conviction is unlikely but Bailey will never be left in peace

I find the juxtaposition of these two statements particularly disturbing. We have enough examples of miscarriages of justice without adding to them based on local rumour and ill informed opinion.

🤣 Of course you find it disturbing, I said there'd be those who'd be upset by the circumstantial evidence and his arrest in the post you wouldn't quote fully. You're just going to have to get over it.

• Advertisement

So AGS have been briefing the locals on their progress and that they expect to make an arrest soon?

As for the reasons you refer to making him prime suspect, these have been discussed ad nauseam for a few decades now but as the DPP said in their review of the case, they mean sweet FA in terms of him being involved in a murder.

To be honest, with this tired nonsense youve been posting, you just sound like you're just trolling!

No, AGS have been interviewing people. Many who happen to be local. People talk!

I said some would be upset by the circumstantial evidence, it won't ever go away no matter how much you wish it would. The DPP could have got it wrong, they are not infallible. And AGS may have further evidence now. The pressure is mounting on Bailey!

If there was evidence to support arresting and prosecuting someone following due process, I wouldn't be in the slightest disturbed for them to be arrested and prosecuted.

I would not want to be part of a society where arbitrary arrest, prosecution and incarceration was possible based on no more than rumour and ill informed opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,070 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I would not want to be part of a society where arbitrary arrest, prosecution and incarceration was possible based on no more than rumour and ill informed opinion.

Well you can rest assured, because nothing like that is happening or going to happen in this case.

You are a defender of the woman beater Bailey. Own it.

mod

warning issued for trolling

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭flanna01

You are clearly uninformed, bias, and unable to understand what evidence is laid before you.

Ian Bailey is not a likable character. In fact, he has some traits that are despicable. I would describe him as a narcissistic, obnoxious, self serving attention seeker.. (And that would be a very heavily edited description of him for this forum)

If you took the time to read the posts on here, you will find that the 'Bailey supporters' are members of the general public who ensure the integrity of the Irish Judicial system is scrutinized. The vast majority of 'Bailey supporters' couldn't care less about him.

Like the keystone kops of 96, you seem to have found your man, with or without supporting evidence?

The circumstantial evidence that you use to convict Bailey of the crime has already been picked apart 30yrs ago... So what now?

Oh yeah.. he's a woman beater, that'll do.

Can't believe you are that green behind the ears to take local gossip as fact? Have you a mind of your own?

Do you really know how many credible suspects were in the frame at the time? Can you name them?

How do you feel about collusion? Does that bother you? Do you understand what it means?

Are you prepared to put a man away for the rest of his life based on hearsay, gossip and the Sun newpaper? Sentencing a man to imprisonment for the rest of his life is a heavy burden to undertake, where do you stand on that?

You should be thanking the 'Bailey supporters' and singing their praises from the roof tops! They are the one's that stop eejits like yourself getting jailed for something they didn't do.

It's not about Bailey, it's about upholding the Irish Judiciary system.

Why are you typing all of that crap? Rattled. You've been defending Bailey for so long that you can't even accept the thought you could be wrong. The net is tightening!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,628 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

As I take a calming breath....

the whole point of a "cold case review" is to come at an old, unsolved crime again as if seeing it for the first time. A look with fresh eyes.

"What did we miss? Where could we have looked? What avenue seemed irrelevant then but now looks as if it might repay further probing? What witnesses may not have told everything? etc etc"

Plus, modern times: Better electronic detection? Better DNA testing? What about persons who may have died in the meantime and left documents, or made statements?

Plus, re-viewing the whole investigation to date.

May often be a very valuable exercise. I look forward to developments!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭BQQ

Agreed

if I recall correctly there was male dna at the scene

if advances in testing allowed them to match that to a certain local man, he would have a lot of explaining to do

furthermore, if family members were confronted with such evidence, they might be inclined to change their testimony

they could even bluff about the testing and achieve the same result

interesting times ahead

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Gussie Scrotch

THey did mention that the Gardai had uncovered "new leads" which may indicate a new line of enquiry.

There are, in my opinion, only two possible pieces of evidence which could lead to Bailey being charged.

1. A complete about turn by JT. Unlikely as she has always said he's innocent.....even after the split.

or

1. His DNA on her boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,628 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Oh, there are a few other possibilities.

The man seen with Sophie as she left Cork Airport to drive to her place.

The missing hatchet being found.

Previous witnesses changing their accounts - but this would need corroboration, of course.

Emergence of a new motive. (There wasn't any obvious motive, if you recall)

Oh, plenty of possibilities!

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Gussie Scrotch

Yes, I see what you mean.

Lots of things like that could shed light on the issue.

But, specifically in relation to making a case against IB, given the amount of scrutiny he has already been put under, I can't see much liklihood of, say, further witness testimony ( Excepting something from Jules ) regarding what he said, or any similar circumstantial evidence, making a material difference.

It would require something concrete, like the discovery of his DNA on the boot, to change the view of the DPP.

Alternatively, if he did do it, ( which I doubt ) and Jules knows he did, then she could put him in the frame.

I think the liklihood of the hatchet being found after all this time is remote and even if it is, unless they find it in the Prairie or Jules's other house, it is unlikely to yield anything decisive.

Evidence of a new motive may, indeed change the thinking significantly. But again, in the case of Bailey, the only plausible motive is sex - and there is no evidence of attempted or actual sexual assault. So, the discovery of a new motive would probably suggest a new suspect.

Generally, success in cold cases this old, depends on advances in forensic technology.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭kirk.

That story was possibly planted by gardai for operational reasons

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭chooseusername

Probably nothing new in this video, but does anyone know how to translate the subtitles?

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭danfrancisco83

45:00 mins in, crapping all over Ireland... "THEY have very strange ways..."

How's Bailey these days

Must be 2 weeks since I seen a news story about him

very strange ways. like needing actual evidence to convict people...... strange indeed....... 🙄

**** himself!

mod

ignoring threadban user warned

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Advertisement

Gut feeling there will be a development in this story at some stage

I wouldn't put a deathbed confession past Bailey

Advertisement