Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is happening with Jurys/Ard Rí Hotel

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

hardybuck wrote: »
    Would it be better for the Council to clear the site and turn it into something else?

Would it be subject to the vacant site levy?

It would be a nice spot for the council to build some houses. The houses facing the city could be charged at a premium rate given the views on offer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I'd love to see any planning minutes for the Ard Ri back when it was first proposed in the 60s. Did the county line play much part of the discussion?

A housing estate on the hill? But of course! Christ no wonder our cities are so shoddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭azimuth17

hardybuck wrote: »
    Wouldn't that bit have about the RPG have come up when Dunnes appealed to ABP and subsequently sought a judicial review?

Apologies, but my memories of the case, in which I had a peripheral involvement, are no longer clear. The first application for Ferrybank went to ABP and was dismissed on many grounds including RPG, the last also did, but the objection was withdrawn before ABP ruled on the development. The shopping centre as built was therefore never tested at ABP in my recollection. My understanding is that the subsequent request by Noel Frisby Development to ABP for clarification on the selling by TK Maxx of comparison goods in the Butlerstown Retail Park (which development was allowed by the then Waterford Co Co without objection or appeal) opened Ferrybank to clear legal challenge on RPG grounds. ABP ruled that selling of comparison goods at Butlerstown was not allowed. TK Maxx subsequently decanted into Railway Square.This had huge ramifications for Dunne's.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭hardybuck

I'd love to see any planning minutes for the Ard Ri back when it was first proposed in the 60s. Did the county line play much part of the discussion?

A housing estate on the hill? But of course! Christ no wonder our cities are so shoddy.

There's probably an argument for having nothing on a hill like that as it is a blight on the landscape.

The hill isn't a blight!

We clearly need to leave it empty so that 200 foot tower can be constructed on it! :D

This is what the hill once looked like, obviously the trees have round up around the site

https://www.flickr.com/photos/8755708@N07/5072139550/in/photostream/lightbox/

• Advertisement

The hill isn't a blight!

We clearly need to leave it empty so that 200 foot tower can be constructed on it! :D

This is what the hill once looked like, obviously the trees have round up around the site

The hill isn't a blight, but what was constructed on it certainly is!

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭cazwhatever

The hill isn't a blight!

As an aside, those pictures are amazing! Such history in them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Dum_Dum

Dum_Dum wrote: »
    Now 14 years.

Now 14 1/2 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,856 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Dum_Dum wrote: »
    Now 14 1/2 years.

great opportunity if the nq's gets the go ahead, so id say it ll be eventually developed into something

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭91wx763

I think Seamus Walsh who owns the Ardree has other things on his mind at present.... https://www.independent.ie/news/businessman-left-us-in-fear-for-our-safety-in-dispute-over-home-claim-elderly-couple-39708917.html

• Advertisement

If you owned the site, what would you do with it?

(that's a question for each of ye individually)

91wx763 wrote:
    I think Seamus Walsh who owns the Ardree has other things on his mind at present....

Ffs!

Great question, think I'd go more towards some sort of adventure park for all, I think putting another hotel there, would be a bit ridiculous. You could have zip lines and other activities on site, you could also go all out, and install a cable car system, bloody expensive though

It'd be getting knocked and turned into a residential development of apartments and housing.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Flying Abruptly

It's a real pity the original buildings on the site were demolished--more pictures of it can be seen in the video below. I never knew before watching it that some remains can still be seen from above!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,214 ✭✭✭bullpost

Stick a funicular train in and have bars/restaurants etc. at the top:

cabecera-foto-funicular.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

And film a James Bond movie there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭thomasm

Is it not the case that Seamus Walsh bought this and the people who run Tracey's hotel on the Quay are contesting it saying they had an option to buy it. They already took this to court and lost and are now appealing the verdict.

http://www.munster-express.ie/business/court-challenge-for-ard-ri-fails/

This appeal was one item holding up development

I'd build a ski slope! :p - beside the funicular of course.

I'd build a ski slope! :p - beside the funicular of course.

The easier cheaper thing to do. The only TWO serious expenses would be

1. Getting and installing the artificial "ski slope" material.

2. Getting Business insurance, so that when the inevitable "I'm Jar Jar Binks and I'm an EXPERT on artificial skislopes. I got seriously injured on your venue and I want a big € settlement"

The easier cheaper thing to do. The only TWO serious expenses would be

1. Getting and installing the artificial "ski slope" material.

2. Getting Business insurance, so that when the inevitable "I'm Jar Jar Binks and I'm an EXPERT on artificial skislopes. I got seriously injured on your venue and I want a big € settlement"

this would probably put a stop to it, and my own idea, before its built

• Advertisement

To be honest I only want to two side by side so it's possible to lift off from one of the slopes tiers and land on the train for the rest of the journey down!

To be honest I only want to two side by side so it's possible to lift off from one of the slopes tiers and land on the train for the rest of the journey down!

this is a better idea than mine, im in, maybe we can do it at night, with no lights

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    this is a better idea than mine, im in, maybe we can do it at night, with no lights

record it live on facebook with your smartphone

why?

you need 1000 subscribers on your youtube channell to do likewise.

bear in mind battery drain though on your smartphone, youll need to use the torch on it as well

record it live on facebook with your smartphone

why?

you need 1000 subscribers on your youtube channell to do likewise.

bear in mind battery drain though on your smartphone, youll need to use the torch on it as well

lights are gay, we ll get rescue 117 to use their thermal cam, we might also need their services, win win

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    lights are gay, we ll get rescue 117 to use their thermal cam, we might also need their services, win win

Cool. Get multiple people to call 999 from their phone though and direct services to that area.

So that when emergency service find out, they cannot get one poor fecker prosecuted for wasting time and resources.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭JimWinters

thomasm wrote: »
    Is it not the case that Seamus Walsh bought this and the people who run Tracey's hotel on the Quay are contesting it saying they had an option to buy it. They already took this to court and lost and are now appealing the verdict.

http://www.munster-express.ie/business/court-challenge-for-ard-ri-fails/

This appeal was one item holding up development

No question as to why the property was sold to an under-bidder after a deposit had been paid? Sounds fishy...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭gw80

vriesmays wrote: »
    And film a James Bond movie there.

That's the spirit V, your finally getting into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Dum_Dum_2

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭azimuth17

Owned by someone from County Kilkenny who never had any intention of doing anything with it. A purey speculative play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭91wx763

Advertisement