Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GCN+ is dead

Options
  • 15-11-2023 12:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭

Just got an email saying GCN+ is closing down next month then just watched the announcement video on the youtube channel.

Could see it happen but to be totally frank the app on the apple tv was shockingly bad quality from a user interface and control point of view.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,550 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

yeah, was just reading the same email. can't have been cheap to produce that much content and clearly they didn't get enough people interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭MangleBadger

That is unfortunate. It was very handy for watching races. I haven't watched many of their documentaries lately but I usually save them for watching on the turbo during winter. Guess I'll have to power through any I still want to watch over the next month.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,218 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Wonder what it means for Eurosport / Discovery Plus? They just continue on as usual?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Paddigol

Crap! One of the very, very few subscriptions I actually pay for. The amount of live coverage of races on GCN+ is incredible... I had the Eurosport subscription previously but found a) their app was much less reliable and b) less coverage and shorter coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭gmacww

I'd say one of the reasons is to try and drive people towards the more expensive discovery + subscription. I signed to GCN because discovery closed down my eurosport subscription and GCN was half the price of the D+ sub and the only part of I was interested in from that sub was eurosport. I don't care for Quest or TLC etc...

The annoying thing now is hat D+ is double the price of GCN+. If I want just to get eurosport I've to sign up for other shite with my tv provider for over €100 a year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭cletus

Was coming to post this. I'll miss the app, some great content even outside of the racing coverage

• Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭Junior

Same here as most of the rest of ye, GCN+ App on the phone and on the Firesticks around the house. I stopped watching ES 3 years ago as you could never be sure of the coverage starting, ending etc. And it was great for the wet Sunday in Winter, I wonder is there some CX on, and there it was. You didn't have snooker over running, or whatever, it was live at the time it was supposed to be on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,958 ✭✭✭G1032

Discovery+ is €49.99 a year, so just a tenner more expensive than GCN+

I did like the documentaries though. Excellent one just released about Chiappucci winning stage 13 in 1992 TdF

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭gmacww

That's for the basic plan which does not include eurosport (or sport of any kind). If you want the cycling discovery + will cost €84 a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,665 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I'm paying €39.99 a year for just Eurosport.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,550 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i was still signed up to it because i forgot to cancel it - some of the docs were good but i didn't get enough benefit from it to justify it; i don't watch competitive cycling so gained no benefit there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,218 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Don't think you can get a Eurosport subscription on its own anymore though if you are a new user

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

Ah balls thats such a shame, really enjoyed watching the endurance or bike-packing documentaries in particular. Was only thinking the other day 40 quid a year was insane value, I gladly would've paid twice if not three times that amount tbh since it's the only streaming app I subscribe to.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,812 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Well this is a major league pain in the hole, Cross season and all 😯

What do I do now?

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 14,067 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

• Registered Users Posts: 23 StuttgartKY

Disaster gcn was so handy for watching races back on demand! This could result in me just seeing much less next year

• Registered Users Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

If you have a Sky subscription you may be able to get Disco+ via the MySky rewards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Paddigol

That's it exactly for me too. Plus, I'm nearly sure the GCN+ app showed more cycling events than the old Eurosport Player app?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,299 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Was a eurosport app subscriber pre-GCN+ so a bit of a balls I'm stuck with Discovery+. Probably sh!te that others in the house will watch though!

I'm paying a few subs, but GCN+ was the one I felt I (rather than the household overall) got value from. I had something on 5 days out of 7 even in the off season, even if just moving wallpaper for the turbo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭JMcL

This. Sticky Bottle has GCN quoted as saying the decision was made by parent company Warners who also own Discovery so that they can milk their streaming rights to maximum (my phrasing)

I was all set to pull the trigger on a subscription in the next week or two for the CX and spring classics

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

A pity, I used it for races, sometimes even just background noise but I was watching far more than usual. I had no use in the documentaries and did wonder how they could bang out so many. I won't be subscribing to Disco+ but I hope the CX races and some of the bigger road races are available elsewhere. I am presuming thats the reason, they overextended thinking they were bigger than they were.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

A great App, providing what the subscribers wanted at a reasonable price. No wonder it wasn't allowed to continue!

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭LeoD

Ah bo**ix to that. Is the only streaming service I subscribe to. Only ever watched the bigger road races live and thought it was great value at that. Might have watched a couple of the documentaries but never thought much of them. Being able to watch races ad-free was great - is that possible with other streaming services?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I'm not living in Ireland and the GCN App has effectively been my TV for the last year as I decided not to bother with Netflix anymore.

Really going to miss it, the documentaries were always a treat and the racing coverage was exceptional.

They brought womens racing to an audience that had barely seen it before.

Hope they make the documentaries available on Youtube channel at some point. They were too good to just discard.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭Junior

• Registered Users Posts: 9,299 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I didn't watch many of the travel ones, but any of the documentaries I watched weren't exactly lavish. I wouldn't have thought many of the "legends" ones were more than a handful people travelling. Excellent content, but mainly interviews. Same with Conor Dunnes recent Unbound one - a lot of it was him filming himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

I'll miss this. Used it a lot, especially during quiet night shifts.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,958 ✭✭✭G1032

• Registered Users Posts: 24,665 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Only laziness stopped me switching from ES to GCN but I'm lucky I'm a procrastinator now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

Such a shame as GCN+ great quality and fair price service, I was so looking forward to watching the Xmas Cyclocross events , even if WvA and MVP are not racing for many their ongoing battles was why I signed up for GCN+. I have Eurosport via VirginMedia but it being Eurosport UK means you can end up getring live a fecking Snooker or Tennis event instead of some races - the on demand replay was also a great feature of GCN+

Advertisement