Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite hot sauce?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,338 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

I was only just thinking I'd like a few jars of their hot mixed pickle. Local shop doesn't have it but I'll ask them if they can get it in.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Jamessmith0901

Interesting, maybe it's just my taste buds! But I agree with you that Sriracha is great as a general purpose sauce, especially for Asian dishes. The fermented garlic and pineapple sound like a delicious addition to the Bolivian hairy chillies - I'll have to try that combination sometime. Thanks for sharing your sauce preferences and homemade creations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

Belfastard.

I'm not much into the hot sauce "neckbeard" scene, but love this. It's right at the edge of what is very hot, but still tasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭Dreamweapon

Big on the all mouth and trousers scene

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Just ordered this from Amazon. €12, half of that was shipping. Worth a try I suppose!

It does have some added capsaicin, but no scoville rating mentioned, which is a bit annoying. I'll probably use it as an addition to stuff like pickles, if it is very hot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭Dreamweapon

@igCorcaigh have you tried Tongue Tied? Based in Cork: https://tonguetiedhotsauce.com/

Just stumbled upon them now online, so i'm curious if anyone has any reports.

Big on the all mouth and trousers scene

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Garibaldi?

BY regular do you mean the one with Redhot written on it

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭LLewellen Farquarson

Re Tongue tied,

I'll nip down to the Marina Market on Friday to sample them.

Looks promising.

I have the Jalapeño & Apple, very tasty, not very hot at all, I recommend it!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,098 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,790 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I can't get over how many people are getting into making hot sauce. Sounds like a very hard way to make money, to me and getting harder with more entrants every year. I wonder how many Irish hot sauces there are now?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,527 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Yeah its the new pulled pork.

Huge market in America though so as tastes change here there'll be more of a market for it. Its really easy and fairly cheap to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Garibaldi?

thanks. Thats the one .I bought it by mistake instead of the Buffalo Wings type and it was nicer

Unfortunately, as a lot of small food producers find out, something being cheap and easy to make does not mean it's easy to make money from it.

Breaking into markets to sustain your little industry is extremely hard. Doing fairs and markets doesn't, generally pay. You need expansion and investment to actually make money and that comes with risk.

And when I say, "make money", I mean cover wages and other overheads and stay afloat - not become rich.

100%. But fluke a deal with a big retailer and it could be quids in.

Deals with retailers only last until another competitor woos the supermarket with a better deal.

It just seems to me that of all the new business ideas that people are rushing into, this one, to me, seems particularly difficult to successfully monetise.

I think (?) Rebel Chilli were the first Irish producer. Now they have loads of competitors and more and more imports. I wonder how they are doing, now?

Also, hot sauce, for most people is a very occasional buy. It's not like most people go through a bottle every couple of weeks.

Not here no, not yet. They do in America. And Mexico. No issue dumping an entire bottle on some BBQ wings or ribs. In a lot of states every restaurant and diner has a few bottles of hot sauce on the table.

I guess the dream is to do a Levi Roots. Fairly generic sauce and hes worth 30m or something. Rebel Chili is in Tesco now too.

A lot of the new Irish sauce companies seem to be doing well. Its a relatively easy and small production.

Most of them seem to be from Cork.

That's what I mean, unless you get that lucky break and big investment and expansion, I don't think it's really a viable business for many. I can't see many small producers surviving as small producers.

I really don't know how you'd know that many new Irish sauce companies are doing well. There existence isn't, necessarily, a sign of success - just that they haven't given up yet. I could well be wrong about this but I guess time will tell. I wonder have many come and gone yet? Every food market has someone new trying to flog their special relishes and sauces. Some aren't great and most are pretty generic. Small scale food production is extremely difficult to make money from.

Again bucking the trend and not a sauce but I can recommend Lidls Delux GROUND RED CHILLI PEPPERS IN 42% EXTRA VIRGIN OLIVE OIL.

Just had a large bowl of boring noodles which was brought to life with a heaped tea spoon or two of the above.

Is that the same as the Italiamo brand? That is good. The regular, Batt's brand is not worth buying IMHO.

• Advertisement

I have the Batts on the table next to me, I tried it once and haven't got around to putting it in the bin yet.

I suspect the Deluxe one is the same as the Italiamo although they can be slightly different between batches. Had one jar that was incredibly hot.

Edit> The Deluxe one is in Lidl atm.

Post edited by The Continental Op on

To tie in with the small scale local sauce production, and a curry sauce range.

A few weeks ago I saw Mr. Athula at a stand in Supervalu Carrigaline. He was promoting his range of sauces, which he makes in Carrigaline. I tried the Jalfrezi sauce and was blown away. Really nice and easy to use. Once the jar is open for a day in the fridge, it heats up a bit more. I've just had a lunch by cooking noodles, and just stirring in a few spoons in and heat up. I also use it as a standard curry sauce, with fried jackfruit and veg. My wife doesn't like heat, so has tried the Korma, which is also very nice.

He persuaded me to try his tomato sauce (I never use tomato sauce), and it was really different, with a hint of heat, cloves and cinnamon. I came away with a jar.

And he was an all-round nice guy! We had a great chat about chillies , Sri Lanka etc.

So, if you get a chance, pick up a jar of Jalfrezi and/or the others, to try, and support local produce.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭squonk

It’s funny. I can’t Fahy see there being a massive mainstream market for hot sauce here as yet. It’s definitely improving but I presume many producers have got sauce as one part of a range of sauces and chutneys etc. Mic and Rebel are the only companies I know doing dedicated hot sauce only though they do bbq sauces too. I’m fairly much a try anything type but I always end up with hot sauce sitting in the fridge as I don’t get to use it often enough and she are very hot so you need to be in the mood for it too.

Sorry, don't know. Might be worth a phonecall or email. They're worth it.

Picked up the 3 tongue tied sauces in MM at lunch, for €18. Saucy, but what the hell. Shopping local.

Got to taste them while there.

Jalapeño and apple - not too hot, probably nice with cheese.

Red chilli and orange - bit hotter, lovely orange coming through.

Habanero- hottest, but still OK. Not sure about it regarding flavour. Possibly best at adding to cooking rather than a condiment.

So far, can see myself repeat buying the red chilli and orange.

Just tried some Lidl deluxe mango pickle. It has a two out of three red chilies on the scale on the label and I wouldn't have said it had any heat in it all ;-( Think I've brandjacked my taste buds :-( Was a good mango pickle though!

I wouldn't expect a mango pickle to carry much heat; I usually use Geeta's. Nice flavour. Might pick up the Lidl one to try 👍️

My son another chilli addict brought home some Wilshire Farms Firemite and Mild Chilli Jam

Not keen on the Jam but the Marmite with added chilli is definitely not to bad but I think I'll stick to traditional Marmite.

• Advertisement

This has arrived, and it has that typical fruity wonky flavour of habanero, followed by a slow but strong build of heat from the added capsaicin. I tested just two drops. Nice!

Advertisement