Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jozef Puska guilty of murder of Ashling Murphy (Mod notes and threadbans in op)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,510 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I read that he is going to be housed with the guy who killed the 2 men in Sligo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭Hamachi

Jaysus. Imagine being a fly on the wall in that cell.

Maybe little Woddy O’Gorman and wee Helen maccers will drop in to say hello..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,348 ✭✭✭Tork

According to today's Sunday Times, Puska is likely to be deported after he serves his sentence.

Jozef Puska will be banned from the state once he has served a life sentence for the murder of Ashling Murphy, according to senior garda sources.

Justice ministers have the power to deport violent offenders who engage in serious crime or pose a threat to public safety using special European Union removal orders.

The orders are signed by the standing justice minister to expel criminals of notoriety. Removal orders have been used to deport alleged terrorists, organised crime figures and violent sex offenders who have come to the attention of gardai or the immigration services.

One security source told The Sunday Times: “Puska will most likely be banned for up to ten years by the justice minister of the day once he has served his sentence. And that ban can then be renewed. The standard ban is three to five years, but in a case like Puska’s it will be more like ten years because of the seriousness of the crime.

“Removal orders are carried out under an EU 2004 directive. He will be sent straight back to Slovakia in handcuffs accompanied by gardai — his feet will never again touch the ground in Ireland as a free man.”

I wonder how many times this removal order has been enforced since 2004? It's the first time I've ever heard of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,115 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Puska stabbed Ashling 11 times in the neck.

people attempting to insinuate he may have been trying to help her, or defend himself or whatever excuse …. It doesn’t align with facts….

in a fair and just world that type of individual would be incarcerated until they die… nothing in the way of treatment or rehabilitation or remorse or a combination thereof would make them 100% safe to be reintroduced to society.

tracked her down, attacked her, stabbed her 11 times in the neck….

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Garibaldi?

When we live in a perfect world people irrespective of gender will cease to injure each other. Until we have attained this Camelot, this Utopia, parents will say anything they think will protect their children. They don't give a flying hoot about how outdated, sexist, prejudiced or uncool these remarks may sound.The thing is that George expressed his unwoke opinions not at home but to audience of millions.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,189 ✭✭✭✭walshb

When he serves his “life” sentence.. hopefully the scumbag is too frail to be deported.. he should spend every minute remaining of his life caged!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

No way I could see that happening. He’ll have a legal team claiming his kids are Irish, so therefore their father should be allowed stay here.

Now whether he’d want to stay here, and whether he would have any peace after he’d be released, is another thing.

Post edited by DebDynamite on

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭DaithiMa

No doubt the likes of Ruth Coppinger would get right behind his 'leave to remain' campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,115 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

The words that would concern you…. ‘ have the power ‘ & ‘ likely to be banned ‘…

how about……

“ will be deported immediately and put on a watch list and prohibited from re-entering this country “

this man tracked a young girl, stabbed the young girl 11 times in the neck …

absolutely zero advantage to allowing him to remain in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,348 ✭✭✭Tork

There was no advantage to having him here in the first place. It's difficult to discuss this case without touching on certain hot topics. But it's hard to read about somebody who immigrated to this country and doesn't appear to have contributed a cent to the economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,796 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

heres the extra.ie article

Puska was a convicted sex offender and ‘person of interest’ in two other assaults on women https://extra.ie/2023/11/11/news/puska-record

it would be good of the government to clarify if anything that should have been done wasn't

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,915 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

@joe199 threadbanned

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,915 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

@walshb threadbanned

• Registered Users Posts: 13 FrankT.

He is going to appeal, like Graham O'Dwyer. Both have plenty of time in prison to make a mockery of the legal system and using up resources.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭billie1b

I wasn't some random person, I was in charge of the flight and had to talk with the detectives as we do all the times in these situations. Believe me or not I don't care, I was just pointing out that it happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,091 ✭✭✭pgj2015

No actually. Under EU law we are not obliged to allow a EU citizen to live here after 3 months unless they can provide for themselves. Maybe it’s time we started enforcing that rule. There’s a good chance Ashling would still be here if we did.

One of the newspapers talked to someone from Puska’s home town and they said if you don’t work there, you don’t have a good standard of living, whereas in Ireland you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Ahshurlookit

• Registered Users Posts: 11,796 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Question is how many EU citizens were prevented from immigrating here?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Fred Cryton

I see on Katie Hannon show last night they had to take the domestic violence against women angle. Completely and utterly nothing to do with the murder of Aisling Murphy. But they need their narrative.

I notice the theme of the show was not about "changing the culture" of the gypsy Roma and their relationship to women. interesting that.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,614 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I think this is what worries people. Whatever the finer details of his case, right or wrongs, he was given a deportation order in 2017.

Still in the country in 2023 and even then self deports himself.

I don't think there is a lot of confidence in how we deal with this generally.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭I.am.Putins.raging.bile.duct

The domestic violence angle is a classic example of survivorship bias just like how mass shootings is being dealt with in USA. Predators do not heed any of the awareness campaigns they will rape and kill when it suits them.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,945 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Still in the country in 2023 and even then self deports himself.

The article is from July 2019.

The Nigerian-born striker flew out of the country on Tuesday to join Vietnamese club Ho Chi Minh City

Not sure that football player was the best example to use to show we do actually deport people… He had a deportation order against him since 2016, and then in 2019 flew himself off to Vietnam to play professional football for a club over there. Chances are he would still be here if he hadn’t the opportunity to play football abroad

• Registered Users Posts: 39,945 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

In April 2017, Akinade was issued a deportation order. His application to have the deportation stopped was rejected in the High Court in May 2019.[18] He returned to Nigeria voluntarily in June

I've no idea why how it relevant anyway, Puska was not subjected to a deportation order.

Hang on, I remember this guy now. He, and two friends, were convicted of gang raping a 14 year old girl in Leixlip a few years ago.

What a strange article that Irish Mirror piece is. Doesn’t mention the rape as the reason for his deportation (or maybe it wasn’t), nor does it mention it at all. The way the Waterford boss talked about him in the article, he sounds like a great lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,816 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

All an appeal will do is enrage his parole board and keep him in prison for longer... Not a bad outcome some might argue

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Be right back

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2023/1117/1416987-jozef-puska-court/...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭political analyst

Given that the life sentence for murder in this country is mandatory (except when the murderer was less than 18 years old at the time of the crime), what was the point of delaying the sentencing of Puska until today for victim-impact statements when they make no difference to the sentencing? It makes murder cases go on in court for longer and thus causes a backlog of cases.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement