Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Motor Tax

Options
  • 16-11-2015 3:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭

Do I need to pay motor tax to the County Council I live in or can it be paid at a neighboring county. I live close to a town with motor tax office but its outside my county.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Enright

Any motor tax office or alternatively, you can pay online

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭denis160

223vmax wrote: »
    Do I need to pay motor tax to the County Council I live in or can it be paid at a neighboring county. I live close to a town with motor tax office but its outside my county.

Not sure on the above, but you can pay online, saves all that hassle, or you could free post it to the county council & they will post it back to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Any office is good, and you get disc immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

Regarding motor tax and back dating.

My car has been off the road over 5 months now and have finally got the money up to get it fixed.

I never sent any notification to the tax office. Is there any way I can get away with back taxing considering the car is off the road at the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,144 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Transfer ownership and any arrears go away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,469 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

Are the arrears a lot? If it isn’t too high I’d just pay it to avoid adding an extra owner to the car.

Only option to avoid paying them, as Bazz says, is to transfer ownership to a family member/friend etc to wipe arrears and start again.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

It would be €600 or so. On top of the cost to get it fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,378 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Where was it parked for the five months?

I don't think it might be relevant to the arrears now in any case as afaik you can no longer declare a vehicle off the road retrospectively.

That’s a right bugger. Transfer ownership it is so. They closed the old way where you could declare it unused after the fact a few years ago.

Hopefully the renovation went well for you 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭cml387

The old way was so widely abused that they brought in this system.

• Advertisement

A TD getting caught for no tax and a few days later going in to the station to declare it ‘unused’ to the same Guard who caught them originally. That was the last nail in the coffin for it.

Advertisement