Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Handwriting decipher thread *must post link to full page*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭55Gem

Made an attempt at cleaning it up a bit, it's difficult to know what to take out and what to leave, he's so flamboyant with his loops and strokes.

I'm still none the wiser though.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Fraoch333

It's really hard to figure out. I can't see anything similar on other entries. The curls in the first letter look a little like the "D" in December. I'd guess Dis are the first three letters. I suppose it might be Latin, but I don't know what would be written in there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭chooseusername

It looks like there could be a letter T in there. The two witnesses for the bride, could the first name Matre??? ... be stand-in for Maria Pattison and that word something like proxy?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,423 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Thanks all.

Yes, I’m seeing ‘dis’ as well.

Could it be dispensation for something - perhaps a second marriage?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,264 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

My initial thought was 'Disp' but usually they give some indication of what the dispensation was, ans there do not seem to be other instances of 'Disp' on other pages, which would be quite unusual.

I don’t think it’s a D

To me it looks more like the first letter on number 236 on this page https://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000633743#page/79/mode/1up

but I don’t know what the name is, something Dowling. Patrick maybe, don’t know how to spell in Latin.

Thanks again everyone for having a look at this - like yourselves I'm stumped.

I suspect Ignatius may have been previously married and was hoping the word might support this but it shall remain a mystery for now.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,675 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Could I get an opinion on the third bride's name here please? First name Harriet. Surname indexed as O'Connor - but there's another word between those two, repeated on her father's section.

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1896/10491/5820459.pdf

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭gipi

Have a look at this record, Harriet seems to have been widowed and married again in 1904.

Fathers surname looks like Maraney?

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1904/10208/5715265.pdf

Post edited by gipi on

It looked like Maranly to me, but I had a look on Ancestry where the church record is linked - she's listed as Maroney. I'll try to find the entry on NLI and link it.

• Advertisement

I got it - thanks for the reminder that the Pro-Cathedral goes well past the cut-off on the NLI.

Looks like Maroney there too.

Weirdly, Boards won't let me put in the NLI link

Genealogy Forum Mod

Hope this links works! The entry is on page 161 of the Register https://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000633795#page/192/mode/1up

Edited - I was so slow scrolling on my phone, I didn't see that you had already found it : )

Thanks.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 214 ✭✭unfortunately

Could it be "Patre" thus making the phrase "patre et matre" or "father and mother" in Latin? the following word "sponso" looks to be Latin for "I betroth" so the parents are betrothing their daughter for marriage

That's a great spot @unfortunately.

And the more I look at it the more I'm seeing it.

But I haven't seen an entry like that befoe - I wonder why it's written thus?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 214 ✭✭unfortunately

Google translates "Patre et Matre sponso/a" as "Father and Mother of the bridegroom/bride" I'm not sure if it is sponso or sponsa because the last letter doesn't look like other examples of "o" and "a" at the end of words like in Josepho or Maria. It may be "sponsos" which means "spouses" according to Google.

In context, it looks like its saying that Joseph Moore is the father of Ignatius and Maria Pattison is the mother of Emily. It may be just giving additional info as to who the witnesses were. Pure speculation; but if one or both of the couple were underage maybe they would have needed parents permission to marry?

I know that Emily was born in about 1806 to William Pattison and Mary O'Reilly, and that William was most likely dead at the time of her marriage.

I also know that following Ignatius' death in 1837 Emily married Joseph Moore who may be a brother/cousin/ nephew of Ignatius.

What I don't know is the identity of Ignatius' father so this could be a significant turn-up for the books!

Funnily enough I had previously come up with a vague connection to a Spencer family so felt I had no reason to doubt the transcription from Irish Genealogy.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Comsewogue

Hi all, trying to transcribe a poor quality newspaper scan.

It's the death notice of one James Flavelle in the Irish Daily Independent from 25 October 1895 (via the Irish Newspaper Archive):

In particular, I'm trying to figure out what he was a member of for many years. It looks like "the Andrean Contra-[?] of the Blessed Sacrament and Sacred Heart".

Also does this group sound familiar to anyone? I'd be interested to know what it was.

EDIT: Edited to include source and date.

Post edited by Comsewogue on

The word after Andrean might be Confraternity.

MOD NOTE: Welcome to Boards @Comsewogue.

Please bear in mind that where possible you must provide a source for the image you're trying to transcribe.

A link to the Irish Newspaper Archive (for those with a subscription) and the publication date (25th Oct 1895) will greatly help other posters to help you.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 Catsmeow

Hi Comsewogue

My transcription:

Flavelle - October 23, 1895, at his residence, 2 Lime St, at an advanced age, James Flavelle, for many years a member of the Andrean Confraternity of the Blessed Sacrament, and Sacred Heart. Queen of the Most Holy Rosary Pray for him. R.I.P. Funeral will leave above residence for Glasnevin, at 10 o'clock on Sunday [I think the final word is morning].

Hi @Hermy - thanks for the welcome. I've edited the post to include date and source (Boards is not yet letting me include links).

I think that's perfect, thanks for your help @Catsmeow!

I did some further research as confraternities are not something I had come across before. They are voluntary associations of laypeople aimed at promoting Christian charity and piety, with members committing to live by specific rules or by-laws but not religious vows. The Andrean Confraternity was attached to St. Andrew's Parish in Westland Row. It seems that in Ireland they had mostlyb declined by the 1950s and disappeared by the 60s/70s.

You're right of course Comsewogue, new posters can't post links - apologies for that.

And thanks for editing your post.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Catsmeow

You're welcome, Comsewogue, glad to be of help. I've learned something about confraternities too.

Kind regards

Catsmeow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 761 ✭✭✭p15574

Would anyone have any idea where the mother of Bridget, Ellen Woods, was from in this birth cert? I've deciphered that the birth was in Garroose, Bruree in Limerick. Looks something like "Dorriesliopermoack"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭chooseusername

Looks like “domestic servant” to me , maybe she was not married?

Post edited by chooseusername on

• Advertisement

As ‘formerly’ has been crossed out and no father is mentioned I’d agree that the mother isn’t married.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 130 ✭✭Larkenn

Transcription:

Ignatius Moore et Emilia Patison SS Josepho Moore Patre et Matre Sponsor, Maria Patison

Translated as:

Ignatius Moore and Emilia Patison (Sponsors) Josepho Moore (husband) and wife sponsor, Maria Patison

The 2 people listed after the groom and bride are sponsors. Most likely his brother and her sister. Priests did not have great latin. I have seen the words Patre and Matre used in church records to mean husband and wife. There are no parents listed which wasn't unusual for that time.

Thanks Larkenn.

This was the only church record I had come across with that Patre et Matre wording in it.

A search of the parish records at Irish Genealogy throws up two other marriages with the same wording and both by the same priest - William Stafford in Rathmines - one on 31 Jul 1831 and another on 4 Jun 1834.

So it may be a quirk of this particular priest but not something he employs very often which begs the question why.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 761 ✭✭✭p15574

Definitely looks unmarried, domestic servant makes sense, thanks. As it turns out it's the wrong person so doesn't matter in the end!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,681 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

That's good because "Dorriesliopermoack" sounds like a much more exciting career :D

• Advertisement

Hi all, could anyone take a look at Bridget Fitzpatrick (sorry, I still can't post links).

I'm having trouble figuring out both her place of death (registration district is Dublin South) and the residence of the informant, her nephew John.

Much appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭stopthevoting

For her nephew, I think its "Caffreys Lane" or "Gaffneys Lane". (In front of that is "3 yrs" which is part of the previous column)

Or maybe it might be "Place" not "Lane"?

According to her death notice in the Evening Herald of May 25th 1931 she died at her niece's residence 3 Ewington Lane, James's Street, and was a sister of the late John Fitzpatrick of 37 James's Street.

Genealogy Forum Mod

That's definitely her then, thanks so much. I know her brother John of 37 James's Street (my 3rd great-grandfather) well. Now to find which of the many nieces she was with!

Two interesting things:

1. Her brother John was still getting a mention 25 years after his death in 1906. He was an early member of the IRB and was apparently well known/regarded, so perhaps it continued to be a thing even after that much time had passed.
    2. Her age recorded at death was 62, but I am certain she was 85. I've found no younger Bridget and besides, her parents would have been nearly 60. I know there's often discrepancies in reporting age, but it seems like a huge one. Perhaps she was misreporting her own age if she was continuing to work as a servant in her old age?

Worth noting the burial record for her at Glasnevin also records her age at death as 62.

Genealogy Forum Mod

On this 1911 Irish census return I wonder can any of you make out the number of years married and children born and living for Anne Healy?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭BowWow

Very Hard,

I'd say 50 years married, 4 or 14 children born, no idea on living number.

I’d go with 50, 4 and 2

• Advertisement

Tried to darken it a bit

Thanks folks.

50, 4 & 2 is what I was seeing and it fits too so I'll go with that.

Unfortunately there's a gap in the parish records around the years she got married and the birth of her first child so I don't have that to cross reference with.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭mindhorn

Can't send the links to these records considering the site is down at the moment but have these saved locally. Few questions:

• Catherine's surname flucuates between Bartnett and Barnett. Presume this was common enough?
    • Does anyone know where Headford is in Kanturk?
    • Can anyone make out the placename in the 1884 record (district is Fermoy)?
    • Can anyone make out the placename in the 1886/1888 record (Garagh?!)?

Marriage cert:

I wouldn't be overly concerned about the Bartnett/ Barnett variation.

The place name in the 1884 record looks like Ballynafauna.

There are a number of Gearagh's in Cork but one just south of Fermoy, closer to Watergrasshill, might be the one.

I'm stuck on Headford!

Genealogy Forum Mod

Banteer is also on the Headford record and he’s a railway labourer.

I tried looking along the railway line near Banteer but couldn’t see Headford but in 1921 there is a notice in the newspapers from the Great Southern and Western Railway about the reopening of the line Banteer to Farranfore and Headford junction to Kenmare.

no good Headford Junction is just outside Headford near Killarney, I was hoping it was a bit like Limerick Junction, a good distance from its place name

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭mindhorn

Thanks both! Yeah, his job seems to have resulted in him moving around quite a bit. 1901 and 1911 census has the family living in Knockanes, Co. Kerry. Looks like he may have been living in Clara in the mid 1920s (his daughter's marriage cert has her living there at the time). Moved to Knockmay, Portlaoise afterwards and remained there.

@55Gem I think you've got the right Headford there. It's very close to Knockanes (where they were living in 1901).

Would it be worthwhile contacting anyone in Irish Rail or slim chance they would have anything worth sharing?

It probably is Headford in County Kerry.

It is geographically close enough to Kanturk that it was well known enough to be written without stating the county. (and also, placenames along the railway line would be well known).

I would guess that their residence was in Headford, Co. Kerry at that time (maybe a railway cottage), but that the birth took place in Banteer, Co. Cork for whatever reason (maybe Catherine staying with a relative or friend for assistance).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 236 ✭✭ath262

Johnson's Railway Atlas mentions a Headford Junction on the GSWR, it was on the line between Rathmore and Killarney and the junction to the line to Kenmare.

I just noticed the two Headford births weren’t registered until 1907 and 1908 so quite possibly they were living in Kerry at the time of the births.

• Advertisement

I wonder can anyone figure out the brides surname for this marriage in Kiltoghart in 1838.

The groom is Mathew Garvey.

It's the last entry on the right hand page.

https://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000632388#page/81/mode/1up

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement