Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I have just realised I have chosen the wrong path in my life

Options
  • 28-10-2023 8:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 16

I am going through a pretty bad patch right now.

I have a good job, a nice house in a nice area, a wife with a good job also and young kids.

I have a pretty good life to anybody on the outside looking in but inside I'm not happy.

I think I'm beginning a mid life crisis but I have just gone through an emotional event that has triggered me.

Half my live ago I met a girl from outside my home town and it changed my life.

We were madly in love.

She was not my first girlfriend but certainty the first one who I truly connected with.

I fantasized about a future with this girl where we would both be successful and happy together.

We were going to rule the world together.

We stayed together for 2 years.

After we broke up I was initially very hurt but found somebody to replace her pretty quickly, I had to in order to stop thinking about her.

I poured a lot of feelings into this new girl in the hope that she could replace the previous girl.

We dated for a year and broke up.

I was devastated.

All the love I had for the first girl, that I transferred to the second girl broke me when this relationship ended.

I stayed in contact with the first girl but by now she had moved on.

I swore I would not allow myself to fall in love again, I couldn't take the same amount of grief.

The first girl had decided to travel, she always wanted to see the world and I was always a home boy.

Following this I had a string of relationships that never went anywhere, I didn't want to get emotionally invested for fear of being hurt again.

During all this time I stayed in contact with the first girl and we were good friends even though she lived the other side of the world.

She got married and started a new life over there with a great career and I am genuinely happy for her.

I met a girl who I didn't hate which was nice. She was from the same area as the first girl and I was comfortable in my surroundings there.

I don't think I ever saw a long term future but like I mentioned I was comfortable.

My friends accepted my new girlfriend as a friend also which was great.

We end up moving in together and eventually we buy a house together.

At this time I'm still in contact with the first girl, she comes home once or twice a year and we always make time to grab a coffee for an hour.

It's a meeting that I spend weeks or even months looking forward to.

She has kids now and I am happy for her.

I end up getting married to my girlfriend and we have our own kids.

We both get on with our own lives, oceans apart, in periodic contact.

She was home earlier this year and we met for a quick drink, it was good to see her, she hasn't aged a day and is still gorgeous.

Following this she tells me she would be back again an a few months so I had another meeting to look forward to.

She said she wanted to spend a bit more time together this visit so I ran it by the wife and got the evening off.

We had so much fun when we met up, she looked stunning and I really enjoyed the time spent together and stayed out all night.

In some ways it felt like a date.

It has been half my life ago since we first met and I was instantly transported back to then.

It was the happiest point of my life and the memories and dreams came flooding back.

She was home for a few days so I arranged to see her again.

I told her everything about how I felt about her.

I told her that my vision of my best life is being with her, not where I am.

I told her that for the first time in a long time I feel like I can be myself and let my guard down.

She opened up to me too and said some things that made me think I chose the wrong path in life.

She thinks we could have had a life together.

It was difficult not kissing her but I kept it together as I respect that she is married.

The next day I could not stop thinking about her, I had to see her one last time.

She couldn't see me so we talked.

I opened up even more and

she said she would not have stopped me if I kissed her.

She has gone home now and I told her I would leave her alone for the respect of her family.

I'm now having trouble coping.

I've aways been a sharp thinker and as much of a dreamer I am, I'm also a realist who likes to come to a decision based on fact.

She has a family and kids and is very successful in her own career and lives the other side of the world.

I have a family of my own but I'm now realising I'm unhappy.

I come from a happy home and I want my kids to have a happy home to grow up in.

I want them to have 2 parents there for birthdays and Christmas.

I'm prepared to give them that life at the expense of my own true happiness.

I know myself and the 1st girl cant work but I can't stop dreaming of a life I could have had with her.

I feel my life has peaked and I have nothing more to look forward to, it's all downhill from here.

I should be able to speak to my wife about my issues but I cannot utter a word of this to her.

How can I find the strength to deal with this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Seamus4life

Right now you haven't done the dirty on your missus. Look at the financial implications of divorce. Even if this other girl becomes available you won't have the money or time if your missus takes you to the cleaners and makes visitation tricky.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Count Dracula

If you fancy her i would start an affair and get it out of your system. Whatever you do don't ever let your wife find out. She must be suffering awfully wondering what is preoccupying your mind, women see that shít a mile away, so be cur amach. Like a hawk op.

Affairs are generally conducted by attractive people, who are selfish whankers and carry the burden of being narcissistic sociopaths, whose lives are meaningless due to their malign?

Love is a tough game, get into it or get out of it. But make sure your wife ain't watching or she will phuck you good and proper... and not the way you like it op, capiche?

The more elusive something is, the more you will crave it, once you start your affair you will realise where you are. Afternoon meet ups in cheap hotels are not all they are cracked up to be, you can't even smoke a fag afterwards lying in bed any more to share your guilt.

You will never replace the thrill of being disloyal to your wife once you get a taste for it, it is chronically addictive. Most serial sex addicts also enjoy the thrill of abusing the trust offered to them by loved ones, it is a very sad illness which will leave you very lonely and empty.

Maybe you should talk to your wife about your feelings .... ( don't you dare btw )

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭miec

Now that you are aware that you have very strong feelings for your ex, and you are still in love with her, what do you plan to do about that?

Is it really fair to stay with your wife even though you don't love or care for her? That all your energy and thoughts are going to this other woman. Your wife may not know what is going on but she will sense something is off. Is it fair to keep her in your life even though you want to be with someone else?

What about your children? Are they going to grow up in a loveless marriage witnessing their father not be really interested in their mother, who is distracted and distant?

If I was married to someone who wanted someone else, even though they have not had an affair, I would be horrified to know I was their second best or an afterthought, and I would be mad as hell to be in a marriage where I am not wanted.

The kindest thing you can do is be honest, leave your wife and decide what you want with your life.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 anonymous23

Thanks guys, that's some sound advice. It's clear that you are blokes and I would love to hear a woman's opinion. I know an internet form will not fix what's going on and I've booked a therapist for next week but my mind is in overdrive this past week and I need to talk to somebody anonymously until then. You lot will have to do!

I've thought about this but I don't want the kids to group in a broken home. I want to fix myself but don't know how.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭Shoog

A mid life crisis should be the point where you realise it's time to grow up and stop dreaming about things that cannot be and accept what is.

Unless your wife is horrible and selfish (you have barely mentioned her so I doubt it) there is a good relationship to be made there if you are prepared to put in the effort. Most people don't get what they imagine they want and the acceptance of that is where they start to build a great here and now. It's time to stop playing at been a grown up and actually be one.

It's very selfish to do what you are doing to your wife and children, a lack of commitment is what is making your life unforfilling.

Get some councilling about your own commitment issues and heal yourself.

Thanks for this insight, I was content with my life until last week. This has come over me like a tidal wave and I am extremely overwhelmed, hence asking strangers for advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,210 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

You are in a dreamland so you won't see it, but all the signs are there that your dream woman is using you as a bit of an escape herself. She is loving the attention and the idea of some lad pining over her, she loves being told that she is special, its an ego boost and the best part for her is that she doesn't need to do much to get it.

Its not real though, she will take the ego boost when she is home but push come to shove it will go absolutely nowhere. She dumped you before because it was right for her career and desires, now you think this smart and attractive woman is going to throw it all away just to come back to a middle aged man?

I don't think you should stay with your wife, it is cowardly to pretend to love somebody and she is a human being as well, she deserves better than a sham marriage of convenience.

But your dream of wonderful dates with your first love is just a cliche, and a boring cliche at that. If you want to change your life then leave your wife and go find somebody real, not some fantasy from your youth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭tea and coffee

Are you dreaming of a past life? She may look fab and all the rest, but who's to say it would have worked out. You broke up for a reason, and she didn't coming running back to Ireland into your arms back rhen.

This sounds a bit like nostalgic Rose tinted glasses. Even leaving aside the fact that you're both married with kids, all your current relationship is based on sporadic "idealised" meetings. If you were to get together (again, assuming current partners break up went smoothly etc, or that whole "wrinkle" was waved away with a magic wand) who is to say that the relationship would work?

It's all sexual spark, and a yearning for past youth IMO.

However, if you're really serious about giving it a shot, break up with your wife, give her space and time to be seriously upset and hurt, and see where the new relationship takes you.

Personally I can't imagine it will be as perfect as you're picturing it, but ultimately that's your call to make.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭thatshowthelightgetsin

First, it's not just the financial consequences of divorce. If you refuse to give your wife everything she wants you should fully expect to have her level false allegations at you to take everything and tie you up in courts for many years. This does not just happen "other men", and you need to have impeccable clarity about how much Irish family law judges, protected by the secrecy of family law courts, are on the side of women. You've been warned.

Second, things were not fine until this happened. If they were, you wouldn't be even thinking about this so stop telling yourself a false narrative. You don't have to have roaring fights to be in trouble. Stonewalling and the silent treatment - "the catastrophe of indifference" - signal the deathknell of so many relationships where loneliness is the lived death sentence long before somebody finds the courage to go through the savage legislated inhumanity that is the divorce process in Ireland.

If your wife is a cold, unloving person indifferent to you, then she has left the relationship already and you deserve credit for having the courage to face that. If she is loving and all the rest appreciate your lottery win, work on your relationship, cop on, and don't be acting the amadán for the love of Jesus.

----------------------------------------------------

Warning applied for Breach of Charter: Generalisations

Post edited by Big Bag of Chips on

• Advertisement

You hit the nail on the head with this. The thing is, I know all this. It won't work, it can't work. I just don't know how do deal with these emotions. It's all new to me, I wasn't thought this in school. I'm very level headed and people usually come to me for advice. But I'm genuinely shaken up by what has happened and I'm struggling.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,437 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I think your first mistake was staying in contact with this woman all these years. It gave you far too much bandwidth for the "what if/if only" daydreams that have led you to this point.

I also find it extremely interesting that throughout your post you refer to not acting on your physical urges out of respect for *her* marriage and *her* situation - what about your own wife and marriage???

I'm very glad to hear you've booked in with a counsellor, it seems you've gone too far down this "the one that got away" rabbithole to find your way back out without help. I also think you need to explore why you essentially jumped from relationship to relationship in the past without ever pausing to do some reflection and work on yourself. I think some time spent figuring out who you were single would have been hugely beneficial to you, but that ship has unfortunately sailed.

If, after therapy, you realise you are genuinely, deeply unhappy in your marriage, then separate. Believe me, it will be best for the kids in the long run. But to me it sounds like you've just turned your own head with this fantasy of what your life might have been. If that's the case, then do the work required to fix it.

Thanks for the reply. it's not easy coming out with all this I used to think I'd never need counseling but now I genuinely can't wait. I have made mistakes getting to this point and I don't blame anyone but myself. But the past can't be changed. I've made my bed so to speak. I want my own family to work I just need help dealing with the what if.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Baybay

You didn’t choose the wrong path. You blindly stumbled along, heartbroken until you found someone tolerable & who fitted in with your friends & your idea of happiness. You made a happy enough life with her, perhaps lied to yourself & to her, presumably allowing her to feel safe in the relationship with someone she loves. Selfless or selfish? Maybe a bit of both but ultimately you were happy enough.

The other lady is also happy enough or maybe she too is pining from the other side of the world. Pining enough to blow up multiple lives & possibly a few careers?

First, I think you need to acknowledge if your marriage is over & if it is, tell your wife & start divorce proceedings. Find your happiness in yourself & let her go.

Then you’ll have a clean slate to present to the other lady & it’s up to her whether or not to choose you.

I'll put it to you this way, if you messaged her saying -

"I'll be in your area on *insert date*, do you fancy meeting up for coffee?"

she'd block you and delete your number.

As BucketyBuck says above, you're a bit of flirtation when she's home. The chances of her giving up her life for you are precisely zero.

Glad to see you're going to see a counsellor though, that's a great next step.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭Goodigal

If i was you, I would delete that woman's number and stop all contact. It's gone on too long. I understand you're in a spiral about the 'what ifs' but you're both married with kids, living on the opposite side of the world for reasons going back years. If I was your wife I would be heartbroken to read your post and realise I never was your true love. Just someone you found tolerable as such compared to the stunning first love 😢

I am not criticising you. But as Dial Hard said, you mentioned SHE was married, but you are too. We can all get bored with the routine way of life but you're really letting your mind race away about this woman. I'm glad you're going to speak to someone about these thoughts. Breaking up a family is a massive deal. If you're deeply unhappy with your wife, start to work on it together. End your marriage for yourself, not this other woman. She's still not available at the end of the day.

Good luck with the counsellor.

Thanks, the therapy session can't come quickly enough if I'm honest, I just need to vent before then as I can't keep this bottled up or I'll go insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

I think a lot of your thoughts are quite normal for this stage of your life, and you’ve acknowledged this. I’m 45, two kids, wife, house , decent job etc. and my life to an awful lot of people would seem quite enviable. But we always want more, particularly if we are successful/ambitious people. I’ve also become acutely aware of my own mortality and how aging is quite unkind and difficult, so i like you fantasise from time to time on what could have been or what could be. I feel like pressing the f**k it button on lots of things but, and this is a massive but, the kids are everything so i tend to snap back out of whatever selfish or self pity bollocks I’ve wandered into. Don’t do it man, break all contact with the girl. It’s a massive gamble and not in the least bit worth the risk.

• Advertisement

Thanks for this, it's reassuring to hear. If therapy can help me then great. I feel your pain buddy, thanks for sharing.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,139 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Ireland has no-fault divorce. Also, behaviour of the parties is not taken into account unless it would be unjust not to. Just clarifying for the OP

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭ottolwinner

Look your kids in the eyes every time you consider yourself to be unhappy or have taken the wrong path.

Children can cope with not having two parents for Christmas and birthdays. What they can’t cope with is it being a false pretence.

children have unconditional love for their parents remember that.

you say you kept in contact all these years. Did you initiate the contact all the time? Did she just reply each time?

grass always seems greener far away.

In terms of contact possibly 60/40 her reaching out. I've let her down plenty of times too when we have had plans which I always feel bad about.

Many of us are made to crave excitement in life, be it romantic passion, fast cars, daredevil hobbies, sometimes doing stuff we ought not to. We crave the dopamine hit. But it so often defies the wisdom to live life safely and on an even keel.

You can expect your wife to take you to the cleaners, and you might expect the lady you are in love with to let you down when it comes to the crunch. Seems like that lady left the relationship to start with because she wanted the excitement of living elsewhere. She possibly has a restlessness in her that mightn’t bode well for your relationship together long term.

Anyway, best of luck with counselling, and hope not too much hurt results all around.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,705 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Make sure neither you or this other woman are consuming alcohol when you meet up to talk. Make sure you are both stone cold sober. Alcohol hides the truth.

Alcohol and even the after effects of it days later will make you think and do stupid things.

Make sure you are getting enough sleep. Make sure it's not something else that's pushing you away from your family.

Anxiety, depression, grief, .. can make you do stupid things.

Make sure you are absolutely wide awake and calm before you make any rash decisions. And weight up all the pros and cons. Far away fields are not greener. You could throw everything away and this woman could walk away from you next year or ... anything could happen.

Also, have you friends, pastimes etc etc. Make sure you are not burned out at home and/or work. Give yourself time off if you need it.

Cut to the chase at therapy. Get it all out asap. Then you'll be better value for your time and money. Don't let it drag on over several sessions. Also, maybe write it all down on paper before you goto therapy so you have all your thoughts on paper. But don't let anybody else see this. It can be your own shorthand.

Don't make a rash decisions.

Great advice thanks, I have actually gotten the whole thing written down. I go into a lot more details than I have here. I could turn it into a book and you never know, it could be a best seller! Honestly though, I'm going to pour it all out to the therapist from the get go in hope of getting things sorted in my head without delay. I think it important to note that I know this is all a fantasy and I know it won't go anywhere. I want my own family to work. I just need help dealing with what I'm going through.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭Foggy Jew

Transport yourself back in time before this recent angst hit. Imagine a reversal of the situation. Your wife tells you that she wants to split up with you in order to take up with an old flame from her past, who she only meets occasionally, but whom she totally preoccupied with now.

What would your reaction be? Would you be incredulous that she would be prepared to tear your family apart on the basis of a whim?

OP, in my opinion you are lusting after the past, and/or your youth, not the woman.

Put on your Big Boy pants, grow a pair & get on with the life you seemed to be reasonably content with up until a short while ago.

Reserve a small corner of your mind for the other lady. Visit that corner once every few months, enjoy the imaginings, then lock the corner away for another three months & go back to being a good Dad &a mediocre husband.

It's the bally ballyness of it that makes it all seem so bally bally.

That's what I'm hoping for. Those thoughts were locked away for decades not just a few months so it'll take me time to cram them all back in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,228 ✭✭✭Augme

You sound as if you're afraid of being alone. Constantly jumping from relationship to relationship, ending up married to a women you never loved, now being afraid to leave the wife you never loved, while trying to justify standing together with some fairly poor reasons tbh.

Also, you said you came from a happy home? Was it really a happy home or was it a simply a 'happy' home because your parents never split up? This will be things you'll explore during therapy, so worth getting a head start on them in your own head.

Advertisement