Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Arcade & Retro Chat' Special Championship Edition

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,198 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It's not something I'd use, but like Retr0 as C-Mod I'd be more than happy to approve some changes, once agreed by the local mods here.

Might be worth starting a separate thread to thrash out some suggested changes to the current charter?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,531 ✭✭✭Inviere

Yeah probably a good idea to separate. There mightn't be a huge amount of interest in giving feedback, but it's worth a go. Paging @Optimus Prime too for this one, it's his gig after at the end of the day 👍

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,384 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Hey yeh I’m here , read the forum all the time still. I don’t mind any changes you want either.

also that is the first time it had no ads in it since we set it up , came close a few times but there was always at least one in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,864 ✭✭✭Steve X2

I've a few versions of Rise of the Robot I could stick up? 😀

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,597 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Personally I've almost sold all my duplicate stuff and everything I wanted to get rid of in my downsize last year, so I'm running out of stock! 😁

Only items left really that I might shift are some arcade PCBs but I've been selling them off site to raise a bit of cash.

I agree, it would be nice to see the forum expanded to include more gaming items in general.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,934 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Edge magazine doing a 6/10 Gunstar Heroes again.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Ah now, that's a quote from an Atari exec.

I was reading Edge back then, they were as impressed with the hardware and software as everyone else was.

And the price and the lack of ambition on the part of the Sega Saturn was plain to see, along with the poor treatment of retailers

Master of the Universe

Anyone here tried learning to drive later in life? I finally passed my test today after deciding last year that it's something I should accomplish before hitting 40.

Bloody hell, not an easy thing to do at this age when the oul neural plasticity is not what it once was. I was an absolute disaster for longer than I'd like to admit.

Absolutely delighted though. Suddenly feel like adverts.ie had really opened up! Time to start hoovering up games in bizarre unreachable locations.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭tonyotonyo

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 6,208 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Congratulations! My missus passed her test third go earlier in the year. It definitely sounds like it's a bit easier if your younger alright. The stress must haven shortened her lifespan by 5 years!

I have strong words about how reversing around the corner is a horrible and dangerous manoeuvre...

Master of the Universe

Thanks! I'll never forget that day I had to try to convince a mate of mine to drive me out to yours to help bundle a 29 inch Trini into the back of his car. 😂 Looking back, I owe a lot of people lifts/helps moving things!

Congrats to the missus! Yeah I was the same, Been on the waiting list for a test for six months and it's been hanging over me like a dark cloud.

Almost cancelled the test on the day I got so worked up about it, was convinced I hadn't prepared enough. It's mental how something can just get into your head. Decided to push through, went along and passed first try.

I stumbled out of the test centre as white as a ghost, my missus though I'd failed and handed me a Terry's Chocolate Orange as a consolation. 😂

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,934 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Car test pass and a Terry's chocolate orange. Double combo.

Anyone here use a digital microscope for soldering etc? I'm looking at a few, but there seems to be pros/cons to all of them. Any recommendations?

I use a TOMLOV DM202(10 inch LCD) I picked up last year from Amazon DE. They probably have better version of it now. Very handy for all sorts, not just soldering. The PC connection and HDMI out have been more useful than I'd expected. I paid about €250 for it at the time.

Some pics :

Mini USB-C battery charger

iPhone 14 Pro OLED screen

SMD Resistor

Pictures look class Steve. Do you find there's any lag when using it, specifically, are you able to solder in real time while looking at the screen?

There will always be a tiny bit of lag, but its something I looked into before buying this as some of them are crazy bad. This one is very good and I did the basic slowmo vid test on it to check(timer running under the scope so I can see both the scope and timer screens at same time, record slowmo). I would say its quite good for what it is and you can definitely solder with it. I've seen reviews of other ones where the guy moves his hand and a second later the screen updates with the same movement, totally unusable for soldering.

This is the test I mean. This is a screenshot of the slowmo video, cropped to show just the 2 screens at the same moment. Not super scientific, but good enough :)

Super Steve, I appreciate the info. The difference in timing there looks miniscule (like a half a tenth of the second). I'll research the DM202 so. I see it listed on Ali too, amazon.de don't seem to list it (and the 600 series is a good chunk dearer).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,968 ✭✭✭Doge

It's available on Amazon Spain for 290 shipped with a 20 euro off voucher you need to tick so that brings it to €270 shipped:

• Advertisement

The 7 inch version is available for 250 shipped from Amazon Italy:

I used the hagglezon app btw to see which Amazon domain is the cheapest in Europe. You can use their website too. Amazon Poland, Belgium and Sweden don't ship to Ireland at least thr last time I checked so keep that in mind.

You really want to get the 10 inch version if you can. An extra 3 inches can make a big difference 😀 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

AliExpress 180'ish if you can wait a month'ish

Yep no rush at all. I've nothing intricate lined up this side of Christmas. I'd half like to have a go at a Switch mod chip after Christmas. It'd be nice to have a modded Oled Switch.

Just on that DM202 microscope. If you need to use it away from mains you're talking about 1.5 hours constant screen on time. Spend a tenner on a slightly better 18650 and that goes to 2-2.5 hours easy.

The retrotink is both a blessing and a curse. On the one hand my PS2 has never looked better. On the other I'm playing on a 1440p ultrawide monitor which presents some issues.

Basically I can only play in 1080p because my ultra wide just won't let you change the image 16:9 with 1440p. 1440p looks gorgeous on it while 1080p introduces artifacts with the scanlines due to scaling to fit the image.

As a result the image isnt quite right and I'm always messing with the menu on the system before playing a game. I really need to get a proper 4k OLED for my PC as it looks stunning on an OLED with the right pixel ratio.

Another annoyance is the black levels on a LCD. I'm playing fatal Frame 2 and due to how dark that game is it's like I'm staring at a light bulb.

Anyway this is the first time I've had the PS2 set up in years and for that I'm grateful. It's great to go back to it.

This next piece I like to call 'yet another bad take by a British magazine with some added xenophobic racism':

• Registered Users Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

Doing a bit of googling on Rob shows he's written a lot of the Daily Mail and Telegraph since his heady days as a staff writer at Playstation Plus so I don't think he's matured with time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭barryribs

These 5th generation magazines were trying so hard to be edgy, even in my early teens I could see through this for what it was - absolute tack

Advertisement