Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Arcade & Retro Chat' Special Championship Edition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,550 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Looking through the list it seems that the HD 6870 is compatible. I happen to have just replaced my old 1st gen i7 pc(replaced with a R9 7950x, still need a new gpu though) that has one in it that will be going to recycling as soon as I can be bothered pulling the hdds if you're interested. I'll need to get an anti static bag to send it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,531 ✭✭✭Inviere

Oh absolutely, much appreciated 👍 Fire me off a PM whenever suits you and we'll sort it out. Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 8,864 ✭✭✭Steve X2

I picked up one of the cards from that seller that was posted. "Sapphire Radeon Nitro R9 380x 4G dualX OC" cost about €70 i think. eBay seller is https://www.ebay.ie/usr/camille-smartest , but i don't think they have them anymore.

Cheers Steve. Looking at the 380X, it has DVI out on the rear, I presume one of the DVI outputs is DVI-A (analogue)? Did you ever tinker with CrtEmudriver etc?

Yeah its got HDMI, DP and 2 DVI outputs(one supporting analogue). I think its the last AMD card to support native analogue out. Not used it yet, just got it to have for when I do need it as they are hard to find new old stock, especially for €70.

• Advertisement

Those NoS 17" CRT's we got a while back are begging for a project, but being useless with wood/metal work, they're without frames. I think a CRTemudriver setup in one of them would be nice, an all AMD build (5800X & an older AMD gpu). That'd cover everything from Atari to N64 and everything in between in glorious analogue goodness.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,968 ✭✭✭Doge

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,934 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

• Registered Users Posts: 34,596 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Well that's one of the more bizarre announcements I've read recently.

I see Limited Run Games will be making a physical version.

Master of the Universe

Anyone out there still using a PSP Go? I always meant to pick one up for a handy small gaming system to keep in my bag but have always been a bit concerned that it has a jank Playstation D pad.

Can anyone report on whether the pad is jank or not? Kind of makes or breaks the system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

I carry one around with me when travelling. The pad is actually alright in my opinion. Its not very tactile - and probably can't be if they want to keep the thin form factor. But with all the travel I have done this year I've gone through both God of Wars, plus FF1, FF2, FF3 and nearly finished FF4 with it and the controls haven't bothered me. For me it's a bit of a hidden gem in its own right.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,934 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Ive to get rid of a few things at the moment.

So far I've a copy of Chris Kohler's powered up latest reissue if someone can collect it from Castleknock. Regulars only

Master of the Universe

Any of you guys hate buying a new phone? I accidentally broke my phone recently and had to buy a new one. Sitting here looking at it absolutely resenting the thing. Just another non descript rectangle, same as the last.

All I can think is 'that cash could have gone towards an Analogue Pocket or another DE10 instead' 😅

I always enjoy getting a new phone, but the paying for it part sucks :)

I'm the opposite, don't mind buying them but HATE setting it up. I've gone cloud based for as much as possible to ease the pain. Due a new phone very soon, looking at the Poco F5 Pro....anyone know if it's worth a go? Coming from a Redmi Note 8 Pro

I'm in the Apple garden(for better or worse), so it pretty much looks after itself when setting up a new phone. I do wish Apple weren't so obvious about shafting you if you want the larger storage options though.

Android phones do that now too. Link both phones to the same cable and all your messages, apps, photos etc will be ported across.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

As others noted, I actually like setting up a new phone :) have to do it every 6~12 months for my daily driver phone and then for others along the way. Android setup now copying the vast majority of settings, auto downloading apps etc. have made it many times better in the past few years.

Still have a email with my prefered ringtone/alarm songs and wallpaper, just in case :D

Master of the Universe

There's one thing that will have you driven demented now that I don't remember being quite as bad the last time I did it, two step authentication on everything!

All of my apps, messages and photos ported across easily which was great. But it took me absolutely ages to get logged back into everything again.

The amount of faffing around with Microsoft and Google authenticator, Duo Mobile, pushes on my old device to my new one on loads of other apps, re-adding all my cards to Google Pay, getting into my banking Apps and the likes - nightmare!

I think the most annoying was needing 2 step authentication to add an app to my phone which approves 2 step authentication for other apps. It's Inception type stuff.

Would remind you of one of those endless 'where is the beginning of this?!' fetch quests in The Witcher where you've to get an item to get an item to get an item to.. get an item.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Buying a phone is tough because I'm fussy. I want a good wide angle camera but it's a gimmick on most phones, either low resolution 2-5MP (selfie cams are 20-30MP these days, 2-5 is unacceptable!) Or poor low light performance (aperture well over f/2.0) so I have to do my homework. Ended up settling for a Huawei P30 Pro as it has a 20MP, f/2.2 wide angle and a 5x zoom lens along with optical stabilisation. Solid all rounder.

Have it almost 3 years now! I don't find setting up is too bad as most phones have a transfer app these days. It's just painfully slow.

• Advertisement

For whatever reason, I never, ever use phone-phone copy. I think maybe I'd a bad experience years ago whereby default apps from one brand were copied over to a different brand phone & caused headaches maybe. I just keep as much as possible cloud based now, whatsaap, google photos, google notes, etc, so it's fairly painless. I don't tend to use many apps either, so that doesn't take long. 2FA as o1s1n mentions can be a pain

• Registered Users Posts: 8,968 ✭✭✭Doge

2 words for android users:

Nova Launcher!

As well as many others benefits, you can export a settings file which takes into account all the icons and folders on your home screen so that when you get your new phone just import the settings file and all your icons are there just like before.

If some apps are not yet installed on the new phone, their icon will still be there, just greyed out. And you can re install them by holding on the icon.

Saves you having to redo all the app folders and icons.

You must have your Home Screen using Nova Launcher to do it btw.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I quite like setting up new phones, akin to the Apple experience I go from Google Pixel to Google Pixel so it is pretty seamless.

There was one blip with a Samsung Fold 2, but the less said about it the better!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

I don't much care for phones so resent buying them also. Every 3 years or so I get another Redmi or something for 150 euro because while they're pretty mid they have a big battery, sd card storage and a headphone port which are pretty much the only features I care about.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,947 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Yeah I'm not fussed really either. I'm the same, get a Redmi or Oppo or something under 200 euro every few years. I don't game on the phone, and middling screen is fine for me for watching YouTube or dodgy sports streams.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

I went bananas one year and got a one plus 7 pro. Really like the phone but it was too much money to drop on it. I only play a few games on it, mostly groove coaster and FF tactics and they could run on a cheaper phone. Worse still is the 21:9 screen doesn't play nice with some older apps like Darius Burst and they refuse to put in a 16:9 mode on the phone and just blame the Devs.

Looks like we're getting our first legally available version of Daytona USA 2 for home use. The debranded version, Sega Racing Classic 2, is going to be one of the playable arcade games alongside Fighting Vipers 2 in LAD Gaiden.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

slightly off topic but has anyone any experience/recommendations of getting an external hard drive professionally repaired.

A drive here had a very short drop but isn't getting recognised by windows now, causing things to freeze up.

Thanks

Repaired? Or professional data retrieval? Pretty sure the latter is quite expensive as they remove the platters and manually pull the raw data off of them in a clean room. Hopefully there's nothing mission critical on the drive?

A repair on the other hand, is it worth opening the enclosure and refitting the drive back into the enclosure pcb, just incase it's no longer connected properly?

• Advertisement

Anyone know how often the recycling center cages in Ballymount are emptied? I've been informed an Amstrad CPC464 and Colour Monitor were dropped into it yesterday (Civic Amenities Center?) if anyone is nearby and wants to see if it's still there? Massive shame to see that go to waste!

Advertisement