Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Solar panels at home, worth it?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,459 ✭✭✭✭ted1

So is the Dept of Education’s mandate to provide an education or to be an energy investor ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Ah now,I ain't getting overly excited about solar panels but it seems like a good idea to me, it's not going to come out of the education budget, unfortunately there doesn't seem to be much activity to back it up.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭rockdrummer4

You might be right, just need to do more research.. like asking questions.

A few defensive randomers on the internet, complaining when I ask legit questions ain’t gonna stop me !

If you ask genuine questions, I’m sure you’ll get genuine answers.

You seem to asking very strange questions based on hearsay and then not accepting the answers given from actual owners.

That’s fine, it’s your decision as a randomer on the interweb to either accept answers or continue to dispute them as you have previously done.

Your genuine questions appear to be answered now by the looks of it which Centre around the myths of cleaning requirements, maintenance and lifespan.

Best of luck In your decision making process 👍

• Advertisement

Please show me once when I shot down an answer?

Read through your randomer replies.

Anyways. You’ve got the answers to all your questions that I can see.

If you have any more genuine questions, fire away.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭Alkers

Me? I do yes, have them for 3.5 years

• Registered Users Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Not quite, no. But appreciate the response anyway.

That's the main field, what I'm asking about is recommendations for that small number of installers in the field that trade transparently, offer fair prices when it seems all around them are inflating the figures, and have done solid work for Boardsies with no unpleasant surprises, extras, or whistling through the teeth.

The official list of installers doesn't give a buyer any insight whatsoever really.

I’ve used Next Gen Power. No issues at all.

Im also using Energiexpro at the moment as they have a fantastic offer on currently. 4kw array, 5 kWh battery and eddi for €8500 (€6230 after grant).

• Advertisement

How does that precise offer stack up in the market Gumbo? (for reference).

I couldn’t get near it from any other company including the guys I’ve used before.

I think they are trying to break into the Dublin market as they are Galway/Mayo based.

Only way to beat it is DIY.

I also posted what I was getting and for what price on the Irish solar owners group on FB and I was inundated with messages asking for the company details.

What maintenance do they refer to in the add -> '1 year free maintenance'?

What is the energi diverter - is this for hot water?

That’s a con. There is no maintenance but I suppose it looks good in the add.

Hot water divertor (Eddi) takes excess and sends it to your immersion to heat the water instead of exporting it.

I have one. You can adjust it if you want to feed the car, battery or let it export for the FIT. In my case my FIT is the same as my purchase price for units so export makes no difference to me.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

So I used KB Electrical, as did quite a few Boardsies in and around that time (2 years ago, just before electricity prices went through the roof, so I was probably lucky in that I 'got in' before the rush!), they quoted me for 14 panels, a 5kWh battery and an Eddi Diverter, and the guy said they'd have extra panels in the van and would put them up if there was room (my remit was to have as many panels as would fit).

Now at the time that sounded amazing as up to that point I had quotes and site visits from about 3-4 other installers, and their quotes ranged from "there's no point, your roof isn't suitable" to "we might get 6 panels up there"... The closest quote I got that was anywhere close to what KB Electrical proposed was about 10-12 panels, and they wanted €13,500 after grant (Lennon Solar), Their salesman was quite condescending towards me with his terminology and sales speak... (he was insisting I needed a smart meter to have solar PV, and even wanted my MPRN number so they could call ESBN to have a smart meter installed, and he also included a yearly switching provider cash bonus by moving supplier every year as part of his savings calculations...)... His tune changed sightly when I explained to him that I've been in the power generation industry for the better part of 20 years and corrected him on a few of the things he said that were incorrect. But he'd already lost me when he insisted about getting smart meter for solar PV, and from that point onwards I just wanted him out the door... Still though I had about 4-5 follow up calls from him asking when I was going to sign up with them...

Anyway the KB guy arrived and said 14 panels, but maybe more on the day.. and when the day arrived they managed to fit 17 (340w) panels on my roof, which I was delighted with...

17x 340w panels (5.78kWp), 1x PureDrive 5kWh battery, Solis 6kW hybrid inverter, MyEnergi Eddi Diverter (including 1x Harvi wireless CT clamp & a MyEnergi hub), 11x optimisers, all for €8,800 (and they discounted me the grant up front), and they did excellent work, which was vey neat and tidy.

I've also seen them offer similar sized systems very recently in the fb group for very similar money to what I paid, when the vast majority of installers have increased their prices massively in the last 2 years, and KB were already extremely competitive 2 years ago, so being able to roughly maintain their prices, they are no doubt cleaning up, and fair play to them because they deserve to.. top lads and they did top work.

Great feedback, cheers Andy.

This is them? www.kbelectrical.ie or the NI-based www.kbelectrical.co.uk ?

So can this changed on the fly to hot water, feed the car, battery or let it export for the FIT?

Yes. Through the app. Obviously assuming your car is plugged in at the time.

Mine is set up to send excess to the battery first, then hot water then export or car if plugged in. That the way that suits me. Others can adjust to suit themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Mickb

Hi,

Similar question, would you have contact details for KB electrical?

Thanks,

MiCk B. :-)

They might also have a .ie website now, but they are Enniskillen based, so probably go with the .co.uk domain site for the number...

EDIT: the .ie website doesn't look like them, so it's the co.uk website..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,579 ✭✭✭micks_address

this is kinda interesting.. we are not allowed mention suppliers at all in the renewables forum :)

is solar worth it at home? probably a lot of depends in the answer.. i think if you are willing to maximise its potential then yes.. make sure you are exporting/importing/time of use tarrifs etc.. even a set and forget setup is probably worth it.. but you can definitely change the payback timeframes if you manage it closely.. im curious when i get to year 5 or 6 what the panels/batteries will be like from the degradation perspective.

Thats what I do... I manage it almost obsessively... it helps that I work from home, but I manage it down to very minute detail if I can... so I minimise my export, and maximise my use.... Theres always usually a load of washing, or a dishwasher load ready to go at a moments notice, and then I'll even choose my dinner options based on if I know I'll have excess or not... and whether to do an electric oven based dinner or not...

I also bought a €50 portable induction hob from Ikea about 18 months ago after one Saturday making a dinner using frying pan on the gas hob while it was blazing sunshine outside... and it's been one of the best additions to my solar set up... Use it almost exclusively now during summer... and whenever the kitchen gets re-done, I'll be replacing the gas hob with an induction hob.... as it's far more efficient than gas...

have induction here for cooking... obsessive as well.. replaced the kettle which was 3.2kw with a 2.2 one which takes longer to boil but has less of a chance of exceeding the inverter load of 3.6kw.. the heat pump clothes drier is a big one as well.. sold our old condenser on adverts and bought a secondhand heat pump model and its significantly less power hungry... gone from average 3kwh to dry a load to less than 1.. just some days in the winter no getting away from using it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭sh81722

Airfryer is another good gadget to have in a solar household: It's way more energy efficient than heating an oven. Quicker too. But of course won't work if you need to heat large items or cook for a big family.

a dual one appeared in the summer.. definitely better than the oven for sure.. can cook a chicken in it up to about 1.4kg in an hour.. the electric shower is the one really just stuck with.. we only have one shower and not an overly large cylinder so on balance its probably as well hold onto it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

..and I'll throw in a Slow Cooker for both reduced electricity usage and avoidance of peak rates

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

Now I'd normally avoid this kind of clickbait headline, but when it arrives into your inbox from Engineers Ireland, you'd have to expect it has some form of credible history?

How the kidnapping of solar entrepreneur George Cove in 1909 paved the way for fossil fuels' dominance throughout 20th century

One argument put forward in defence of fossil fuels is that they were a historical necessity, because there was no other viable substitute for much of the 20th century, writes Sugandha Srivastav. We owe fossil fuels a debt of gratitude, the argument goes, because they supercharged our development. But what if I told you there was a viable alternative, and that it may have been sabotaged by fossil fuel interests from its very inception? 

How the kidnapping of solar entrepreneur George Cove in 1909 paved the way for fossil fuels' dominance throughout 20th century - Engineers Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Repolho

Do all of you who have solar and EV's have Zappi chargers or how are you managing charging your cars off Solar?

I have solar (no battery) and a simple charger and its a PITA switching on/off charging the car every time the sun comes in/out from behind a cloud!

Have an ev but to be honest from September to march don't get enough excess solar to charge car.. even then if you have cheaper nigh tariff than export rate your better off charge on night rates and export excess

• Advertisement

I have a Zappi. But only because I got it for €200. I don’t generate enough excess in general to bother to be honest. My system is set up to fill battery first then divert to hot water then excess to car if plugged.

I’ll only use it when I go away for a week or the weekend and not using the car. I’ll make sure to leave it at 10% or so and the excess will fill it over the week.

zappi, wallbox, ohme will all do the same.

Advertisement