Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BusConnects Dublin - Big changes to Bus Network

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,302 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Did anyone go to the online meeting held by the FF councillor about the planned infrastructure changes for the Shankill roundabout & N11 junction on Sunday evening?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭bikeman1

Anecdotally at least, I’ve noticed quite a lot of Dublin Bus training bus / buses out and about across the Northside over the last few weeks. These have been out at all times morning rush hour and even after 20:00 tonight.

Hopefully we are close to seeing these new drivers filter through onto the network and ease cancellations.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭AX636

There is 2 shifts in the training school 7-3 and 3-11 pm as the school is very busy

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭lordleitrim

I think a key indicator of progress will be newly trained drivers not leaving after a few months having decided its not for them. I unfortunately know a couple of new drivers who left within a year due to the erratic shift schedules and poor work life balances. Unfortunately the unions won't help with that as the longtermers who are the most embedded to the unions wil not sacrifice or share the better shifts with the new bloods.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,276 ✭✭✭cgcsb

It's taken about 25 mins to get from one end of OCS to another this afternoon. And I'd like to lay the blame at cars in the way but I've hardly spotted any cars just lots of buses. Maybe bus connects will partly resolve this bur j think it's still too reliant on OCS, more use should be made of Church and Gardener St

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,934 ✭✭✭Daith

It took me 8 minutes on the Luas getting from O'Connell St South to OCS North stop.

Painful and that's before you get to the chaos after that.

Maybe not enough people complain, the number of people effected by the current **** show in public transport nust be enormous, in the hundreds of thousands but the media seems to want to talk about the conor pass deabcle instead.

You were lucky on the luas buses are more than double that time doing that distance.

Was there ever a reason given why we can't have rapid build bus corridors in advance of busconnects?

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭loco_scolo

Something else going on on OCS. Is it a protest ? It's closed to traffic southbound. Luas moving okay, just stuck behind one other. But Marlborough Street is bumper to bumper taxis and rerouted buses.

Edit: it's a pro Palestine march starting at the Spire. Good luck getting through city if commuting. I just made it ahead of protest but traffic is bedlam

• Registered Users Posts: 4,934 ✭✭✭Daith

Yeah, my Luas delay was before the protest kicked off anyway.

It's just an awful street in general

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭AngryLips

There's a protest about the situation in Israel/Gaza

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

On the topic of driver training, just out of interest - what would the story be with what appears to be drivers undergoing training, but with a full bus of passengers? So the driver is driving, and taking on passengers, dealing with fares, but there's another person talking them through the process, including pulling in properly to stops, taking difficult turns, etc. Are these new drivers, or just new to a route, or what's going on?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭VG31

More buses using Church Street is a very bad idea. Only the 83 uses it currently and it's very slow, particularly southbound. OCS is normally much quicker than Church Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 renalf

Generally after passing the test and some route training, new drivers are placed with a mentor for their first two days in service who are basically there to guide them on how to handle things.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

It could be a great public transport corridor if there was priority given there.

Only because there's almost no cars on OCS. As I've said rapid build bus gates could greatly improve bus times, a bus gate on Church St could be built over a weekend.

We also need immediate bus gates at:

Rathmines, Mount Brown, Stoneybatter, Phibsboro, Whitworth Road and The quays just to start with, bus connects can then take its time. Cars can take longer routes and waste time if need be

• Registered Users Posts: 17,555 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

With the proposed changes in the city centre, there will be more than enough priority for north/south buses to use O’Connell Street, and east/west to use the Quays.

Church Street & Gardiner Street are going to have to take the burden of the much of the diverted traffic from the Quays as it is, and I just don’t expect there to be a sudden change of heart about diverting more bus routes onto them.

Remember that both streets will still have a decent bus service - Church Street will have the 23 & 24 combined every 10 mins, and Gardiner St the 22, 48, 85, 86, 87, 88 and 98.

I think we have to be realistic. The DCC traffic management plan is the only show in town along with the BusConnects corridors.

Things aren’t going to happen any faster no matter how much you or I want them to unfortunately.

Waiting on an 83 now on church street, next one is in 45 minutes. Appalling service coming up to the peak hour and this is the only north-south route west of OCS if you want to head south side you have to go to OCS and come back out again silly bugger stuff. The new routes replacing the 83 might help but more needs doing. We need some bus gates ASAP. Normal traffic can wait

That is far more likely due to cancelled departures as a result of the driver shortage rather than traffic.

There are also issues with RTPI today so I’d not take it as gospel.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,226 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Hmmm...almost as if we need an underground train system.

One can dream :)

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭DaBluBoi

Can vouch, RTPI today was abysmal. Had to wait 45 mins today for a C Spine bus that WASN'T full to the brim. Bustimes was also having issues with displaying buses, probably because of RTPI, so that didn't help either

• Advertisement

Well if the AVLC is on the blink which it clearly was, none of the apps or websites will have live information.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭DaBluBoi

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭lateconnection

Saw several out of service buses on Terenure Road West today, all had multiple instructors onboard. Likely route training for the new S4 route which will run on that road. Hopefully the November launch date will actually happen, fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭thomasj

I was walking down George's street around 5pm and there were 3 or 4 83s that passed within the space of 5 minutes , heading towards Harristown.

If they were Dublin Bus vehicles then they’d be for the 74 as the S4 is a Go Ahead route.

So clearly staffing is not the only issue there is too much shared running with cars in congestion resulting in bunching, something that providing rapid build bus gates can solve. I did see that today at church street realtime sign, 83s at 45 mins, 47 mins and 49 mins

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Pale Red

The upgraded junction on the N3 near Blanch Garda station is almost finished. Does any of you have an idea of a timeframe for the Blanch spine happening once this key piece is in place?

It’s the second last phase so either late 2024 or early 2025.

To be fair it could be any number of things that caused it.

Unless there’s a daily pattern of delays and bunching happening like the above on that route I don’t think you can come to that conclusion, based on a single observation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Ireland trains

Dublin city bus passenger numbers in September up 10% v Sept 2019.

Has capacity increased by anything close to that, as anecdotally buses seem to be busy throughout the day.

Advertisement