Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Single Public Service Pension Scheme

Options
  • 23-02-2023 12:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭

Good Evening,

Just a quick question In relation to the Single Public Service Pension Scheme. I've been told that it's the average earnings throughout your service ie 30 years for example. For arguments sake if the earnings were €50k per annum each year what would the annual payout be and a gratuity at the end of the 30 years? What are the pros and cons of this pension scheme if someone could simplify what the annual payments would be, obviously inflation will fluctuate but at present. Thanks

Post edited by Sierra Oscar on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭luckyboy

Not sure if this query is in the right place but using your numbers, I think the annual pension would be €18,750. Gratuity would be €56,250. Your example assumes 30 years of service, which would give you 3/4 of the full pension entitlement (if you had the full 40 years, you’d get €25k and a €75k lump sum). However, as there are increments to be had, the starting and finishing salary levels will differ (ignoring possible promotions or getting higher scale).

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭deiseman17

It's absolutely not in the right place,just seen that now. Thanks for that. Could you tell me how you calculated this as it is all very confusing to me. Thanks again. Very much a great help to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

Your annuity (i.e. annual pension) accrues at a rate of 0.58% of your income each year up to (3.74 times the PRSI pension), after which any benefits accrue at 1.25%. That is to say,any amount of income earned in excess of €51,595 (€265.30 x 52 weeks x 3.74) would accrue at a rate of 1.25% per annum, and any amount below that would accrue at a rate of 0.58% per annum.

So, for the sake of simplicity, let's say you earned €50,000 for each of your 30 years, this would entitle you to an occupational pension of €50,000 x 0.58% x 30 years = €8,700 per annum.

You will be entitled to draw this public sector occupational pension upon reaching normal retirement age (now 66).

Like every other worker who makes A rate PRSI contributions, public or private sector, you will also be entitled to the PRSI Contributory State pension. What that will be by the time you retire obviously remains yo be seen, but it certainly won't be as generous as the rate today.

In short, you need to get cracking on setting up your private pension, as the days of the so called 'gold-plated' pensions are long gone for newer civil servants.

Hi Rothmans, thanks very much for that reply. That clears it up somewhat. On top of the salary of let's say €50,000 is overtime and allowances. Is this factored in also or is it run off your base salary? Thanks again.

It depends. What part of the civil service are you in? Overtime is never considered pensionable income. Generally, unsociable hours are pensionable.

• Advertisement

just trying to figure this whole pension thing out as it's not as good as previous schemes. It's to get a rough estimate of what the gratuity would be and the pension payments before paying into AVCs.

Post edited by deiseman17 on

Garda pension will be worth 13k after 30 years, give or take. Provided you stay on a core roster, as the unsociable hours will bring a reasonable amount of your income above the 51.5k threshold. If you are in certain jobs such as gardai, prison officer, firefighter etc, the excess is accrued at 1.43% as opposed to 1.25%. If you earn 10k in unsociable hours above the the threshold (which is attainable provided you don't take annual leave on Public Holidays and Sundays, and minimise annual leave on nights), that will give you an extra €4,290 (€10,000 x 1.43%) per annum above the €8,700 fugure mentioned above ( i.e. c 13k). If you go onto a non-core roster, your pension will be very negatively affected, as you will lose out on a huge amount of unsociable hours payments. So I hope you have no desires to become a detective, or a community garda.

Lump sum should be worth 60k to 70k. Your employer is obliged to furnish you with an 'Annual Benefit Statement' every year which outlines exactly how much pension you have worked up that year, both in terms of your annuity and lump sum, as well as outlining the cumulative benefit you've worked up. Every employer in the public and civil service is obliged to provide this statement every year to any employee on the Single scheme. Have you been getting these statements?

Thanks again for your reply. It is very depressing looking at that after 30 years work but it's better to know now and plan for the future! I'm sure I have those statements somewhere that I will have to dig out. The only option is promotion to increase the salary and contributions annually. Thank you for taking the time to explain

No problem. Get started on those AVCs though. You will have to retire at 60, but won't be able to draw to Contributory Pension until 66/67/68, so you'll need something to plug that 8 year gap, as there's no way you'll live on 13k per annum.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Galwayhurl

Are you saying that if a single pension scheme worker wants to retire at say 63, they wont get the state pension aspect of their pension until 66?

I thought it was an integrated pension? And that the total (referrable amounts plus State Pension aspect) would just be deducted as per the table in the circular?

E.g I would receive 95% of what I would receive if i were to retire at 66.

• Advertisement

That's exactly what I'm saying.

I assume you are referring to circular 18/2017.

You will not get the Contributory pension until you reach 66, or whatever the pension age is when you retire. When they use the term 'integrated', it is meaningless, as it doesn't confer any extra pension entitlement on you that you would not otherwise have, were you not a member of the Single Scheme.

Assuming, the pension age is 66 when you retire, if you retired at 63 years of age, you will be entitled to an actuarily reduced pension of 90% of the benefit you've worked up.

For simplicity's sake, say you were on 50k per annum every year until you retired at age 63 after 35 year's service.

You will have worked up a pension of 35 years x €50,000 x .58% = €10,150.

However, if you retired at 63, it will be reduced to 90% of €10,150, i.e. €9,135 per annum.

Now, if by the time you retire, the Contributory pension age is 68, your occupational pension will be further reduced to 83% of it's value i.e. €8,424.

That's what you'll have to live on for those years between retirement and being eligible to receive your contributory pension. And the Contributory pension will certainly not hold the same value in years to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 lydsie

I am just looking into this myself. I have only been in the public sector (ETB worker) for 3 years but have no other pension. Completely clueless about the whole thing tbh!

I am in my early 40s so it is time to do something about it! I, like everyone, pay lots of taxes!! Grumble. So, I wonder whether it would be better to buy back % of my pension or do a separate AVC. At least some of my tax will then go into my retirement fund. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Also, Cornmarket seems to be the provider most public sector worker use. Would people recommend them?

Thank you in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,464 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Apologies for bumping an old thread, but has anyone here actually gone about purchasing extra benefits through the PSPS? Is it relatively straightforward to do?

You rarely hear anyone talk about it and there appears to be very little awareness of the option.

I've been thinking about setting up an AVC with Cornmarket but after doing some research I'm somewhat skeptical about how the investment funds are managed and the expected return, and there are hefty management fees associated with the AVC. I am thinking that purchasing extra benefits through the PSPS may be more attractive.

Does purchasing extra benefits attract the same tax relief that AVC's do?

I'm not too concerned about mandatory retirement ages. Talks are already well underway to increase the mandatory retirement age for the likes of Gardaí to 62, it'll be closer to 67 in years to come I'd say. That's ultimately how the Government will bridge the gap between retirement and receipt of the State contributory pension.

@Sierra Oscar

You don't have to buy a PRSA AVC via Cornmarket.

You can do some more research and buy one on an excecution only basis with 100% Allocation and 1% AMC terms. How does that compare to what you've been offered?

What's the issue with how the investment funds are being/going to be managed?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,464 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

I know I can purchase a PRSA AVC seperately and manage it myself, but I'm wondering what the benefits are of simply purchasing additional contributions via the PSPS itself and how you can go about doing so.

Thank you!

That article is from 2007 and pre-dates the existience of the Single Public Service Pension Scheme, is the content still relevant?

I assume the purchase of additional benefits is similar to the AVC in terms of the tax relief and it is deducted at source?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I didn't think you could do it with the new scheme, just people say you can but it's actually just AVCs.

I could be wrong BTW

• Advertisement

You can now purchase additional retirement benefits under the Single Public Service Pension Scheme since 2019, it's outlined in DPER Circular 15/2019. There doesn't seem to be much discussion about it anywhere so I'm just trying to get my head around it myself.

The circular doesn't give much information (I understand they cannot stray into giving financial advice) other than saying it may be useful for those who joined the public sector mid-career and who need to boost their retirement benefit. That doesn't really apply to me as I will have full service, but I'm wondering if it is still worth exploring over an AVC. There are no setup, commission or administrative costs afterall.

Well I must email pensions about that

The link wasn't working for me in the earlier post

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Novice Self-Build

This is very useful. I am 20 years to retirement and in the public service 5 years. I am awaiting info from our pensions team on how to buy additional years. I could do a lump sum or increase my monthly contribution. I would like to get the fullly 40 year entitlerment by the time I retire. Has anybody done this?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Buying 20 years pension benefits with 20 years to go is going to be expensive and if you do have the money on hand to do that, it might be beneficial to sit down with a financial planner and discuss your options and how best you can maximize your income in retirement.

My wife has a high second income so maybe increasing my monthly contribution by 1000 a month would be a better option and reduce my current tax bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭divillybit

@Novice Self-Build just wondering what you decided on regarding buying additional years?

Waiting to hear back from the pension team internally. I requeted a quote earler in the summer.

• Advertisement

I have finallly got a reply but not sure what it means. I have taken screen shots from the correspondance.

Any insight would be most welcome! Thanks

Advertisement