Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Celtic Symphony: Ireland v Scotland. 8pm Saturday 07th Oct. Paris. RWC 23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭SaoPaulo41

Really really hope Hansen and Lowe are OK for next week. Lowes eye looked fecked though

• Registered Users Posts: 16,690 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Haven't I seen you somewhere before? With your last sentence in mind did hear the 100 caps man interview after the game ? Brilliant stuff:). If this Irish team don't get the monkey off their back then none will. They have confidence and momentum now. The defense last night was superb in the first half. The teams who tend to go far in World Cups tend not to cough up many tries. Ireland is now this kind of team.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,496 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I knew we would score our chances before the game. That defence in the first half though! Impenetrable and if we continue playing like that it is going to present a huge challenge to anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

What a squad, i dont think there’s a single player in Scotland Wales or England that would make that Irish team.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Andy farrell is a shoe in to coach the lions at this stage as well, he has it all, experience on tour, experience of the best players, and success as a head coach.

In fact there isnt even a conversation to be had about it. Its his to turn down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

What a joke the lions will be. Wales hockeyed Australia on their own.

I've fallen out of love with the lions anyway I just don't know where it fits in nowadays that European teams as are strong as the southern hemisphere teams and club/provincial teams without their internationals can't really compete with the might of a combined 4 nations team

I don't know where Australia are getting 6 teams outside the Wallabies to play. Wallabies prob be better than they are now but that wouldn't be difficult.

Lions should go to France in future if they are to continue!

Play Toulouse, la Rochelle, Clermont etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Actually a short Lions tour of France is a great idea.

Any updates on the injuries?

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

New Zealand and South Africa lions tours are ok, they have a bit of depth to make games competitive and could win test series. Australia cannot and don't see that changing.

France could provide a great test series and good warm up games.

No idea on injuries yet I wouldn't say that will be released for a while

Scrap the Lions and have a true European knock out tournament.

Seeding based off 6 nations and Championship standings

Would massively grow the game, in Europe, but will never happen for "reasons"*

*Reasons being money

• Registered Users Posts: 55,049 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Any betting odds up on NZ/Ireland?

Thinking NZ will start slight favorites

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,070 ✭✭✭✭phog

Brilliant game from Ireland, we had Scotland beaten before they knew the game was started. If we hadn't lost the two wingers we could have nilled Scotland, they looked shell shocked.

Very attritional game but aside from the trip & subsequent scuffle nothing very dirty in it.

We can beat the current NZ team which will create a bit of RWC history for Ireland, hope we have one of Lowe or Mack back for it and if I was to choose it would be Mack, himself and Aki are our player of the tournament.

Ireland are -1 so the slightest of favourites

France are also -1 against South Africa

Ireland and France 3/1 to win tournament

New Zealand and SA 7/2

So the bookies not separating them by much

Next favourite is England at 12/1

I'm not really a gambler but I'd back France and us in quarters but France to win it. If SA best France next Sunday I'd fancy us to win it out if we are still in after Saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭TRC10

Is anyone really surprised with how that game went? I'm certainly not. That's what Scotland do. Talk themselves up, think they're far better than they are, and invariably utterly fail to back it up and get humpped. I'm amazed there were Irish fans who were nervous about that game.

Anyway, next week is what matters. Not pool games against minnows. Roll on the biggest week in the history of Irish rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭the.red.baron

The odds the bookies give you are not the actual odds of winning, just to give you no value on a bet

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭kuang1

Don't get to do this often... No money made on it unfortunately!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

In the airport waiting on the 1st of our 2 flights home today. Brought my 9 yr old over. What a great experience! It's fantastic to be able to being a kid to game and sit around opposing supporters and everyone shake hands after. As I said on the buildup thread - he's been following following rugby for 4 years been to a few internationals at home and countless Leinster games. It was a privilege for us to be there for O'Mahonys 100th cap and he finally got a chance to see Sexton playing for Ireland.

I really wanted to hate the "kiss cam" but it was great fun.

Thought the 1st half, Ireland were top class. I reckon that once they got to half time they just took their foot off the gas knowing the job was done. I often feel like that in work when I'm working to a deadline. You submit your reports on a Thursday morning, you are psychologically drained and are no good until Monday.

Thought the entire pack did well. Special mention to the Centurion and that 2nd row of Beirne and Henderson is powerful. Line-out was a joy to watch.

Backs was a bit of a mess given the changes but they did well. Big Stu did particulary well when he came on. Should we be concerned about options on the wings?

I'm excited about the prospect of Ireland taking on New Zealand. Don't think any other team brings out that inner beast in O Mahony like they do. That stadium last night was like a home game.

Edit:

Yikes didn't see the updates on Hanson and Lowe

• Registered Users Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

I reckon the best bet next weekend is to back the draw in both late kickoffs.

All 4 teams well matched playing 10 man 3/6/9 rugby should make for low scoring affairs

At 16/1 i think i might make a visit to the gambling shop

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Saying it doesn’t generate comment other than “he’s the shooter, it’s fine” suggests you either don’t understand what that means. Or you’re just ignoring its importance for your narrative. Unfortunately I suspect it’s the latter.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,565 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

We did lose the second half. Just a statement of fact.

Yes there where a few changes but let's take Conor Murray for example. I'm amazed no one has yet mentioned his culpability in both tries and his overall decision making.

Ignore if you wish but we got exposed in the last 15 - 20 minutes in that game, our performance level was so noticeably down, and no one wants to mention it.

Worrying because I think it shows that when it comes to it our depth is more shallow than some seem to think.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Wouldn't underestimate the importance of Lowe and his kicking game either. Preferably both fit and ready but just have to see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭Dillonb3

Matera going off injured, big blow for Argentina

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,006 ✭✭✭fitz

Ben Smith's take is reductive nonsense without any context...ignores all the other changes pretty much at the same time, and the fact that we were down both wingers.

We got a bit disorganized and sloppy for a short period after the subs came on and leaked two soft enough tries. After the second one, the team got under the sticks for a chat, and we pretty much immediately sorted things out, and Scotland went back to having bugger all idea how to break us down.

For sure there's things to address, but there was plenty of reasons for our game to be disrupted - I mean, Ryan was playing with one arm for the last 10 minutes too.

We were far from perfect in the second half, but the game was done and dusted at that point. I don't see how anyone thinks that we'd take the foot off the gas like that against NZ, or manage our subs the same way.

I hope Lowe and Hansen are fit for next week, I think with Hendo starting with Beirne and McCarthy on the bench, Ryan would be less of a loss than the wingers. Not saying he's not a loss, but I think we're better stocked for 2nd row cover.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Pool games against minnows (including SA, btw) = “don’t matter”.

Warm-up games = “our form is terrible”.

At least you’re consistent, TRC…

• Registered Users Posts: 16,924 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Ireland's forwards really did a job on Scotland at the ruck. They slowed down so much ball that Scotland eventually had to start committing three or four forwards just to get it out.

They were giving Russell absolutely nothing to work with. Slow ball and a depleted attacking line for most of the first half. They were never winning.

Injury updates later today is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,904 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Thats a dumb statistic in isolation, it tells nothing. Ireland were forced into out-of-sequence replacements and a centre and a scrummie on the wings.

In the circumstances, we did really well and the game was already out of sight.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

A stopped watch. If we win the World Cup they will say we are peaking too early for 2027.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,006 ✭✭✭fitz

Or "can we back it up by defending the title when it matters in 2027".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭downtheroad

I've no idea why so many were nervous going into that game. Ireland had the beating of them all day long. Scotland proved for any doubters , that they are a poor team.

Next week is a different story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67,496 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Advertisement