Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irishman decides to mount Brussels statue...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭brokenbad

With gobshites like this lad - no wonder we are labelled as the "drunken Irish" stereotypes

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭ghostfacekilla

The majority of Irish stepping foot on an overseas flight have done untold damage to the reputation of Irish nationals in the last three decades, mostly due to their glorification and justification of the abuse of alcohol and losing control of their actions as a result. It's not getting blind drunk on holiday to the point where they're a danger to themselves or others they need to 'blow off steam', it's a long stint with a competent therapist.

Ah jayziz, I need a holiday.

No, you don't. You need professional help in a country where it's greatly stigmatised.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Become Death

If only we could be more like the Middle Eastern lads. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,657 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

It’s nothing to do with being Irish . He’s a dipstick, irrelevant to his nationality.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭orourkeda1

To be honest, when I go abroad, I dislike being around other Irish people. I just don't like being in their company abroad. They're an embarrassment.

https://www.orourkeda.blog

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,873 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Maybe they should have made it out of metal. Poor Molly up in Dubland would be titless if they weren't permanent. The fact that it's just her tits that are shiny emphasises that! Although, they've given her an overall clean to hide that fact, but she had the the most beautiful burnished baps in Dubland for years before being moved!

Lad will end up having to pay. Expensive mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

The guy is obviously a knob but Jesus Christ the amount of hysterical over reactionary comments on this thread is beyond ridiculous. We’re all awful -unts because one lad broke a statue. How sheltered of a life do people lead. It’s beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,852 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

The Irish self hatred is a very strange phenomenon. I don't know if other countries indulge in it to such a strong extent. It must be an inferiority complex of some sort.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,486 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Looks like someone was trying hard to press em, or buzz um, alright....

Climbing on a statue is a heinous act. Its a pity his thuggery wasn't matched by a similarly unedifying reaction by the police. As that would make for good reading.

Heavy drinking has little to do with it. No breeding. Stone cold sober the likes of him is a lost cause.

Ps did he borrow his girlfriend's hotpants or did he go on holidays when he was 12 and is still there?

Hoping he gets plenty of anguish over it and negative publicity back here. He's a miscreant and a clown. It takes some sh1tbird to climb on a statue. If that applies to you reading, yes you qualify as a grade-A sh1tbird.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,486 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Ignacius

You are all very quick to jump on the Irish as the worst people in the world.

West Brits much. Make sure to tune into Joe Duffy tomorrow for more self flagellation.

Our football and rugby fans have a great reputation. The Irish travel all around the world and are greeted everywhere we go as fun loving respectful people for the most part.

one rotten apple…

• Registered Users Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Bloody eejits spending so much money on a fairly average statue and leaving it out in the open where any fella can just climb onto it. Surely to feck they could have spent the 90 million on something better like lifting disadvantaged Belgians out of poverty and made a replacement statue using a CNC machine and a few bags of cement

• Registered Users Posts: 20,816 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

90 million is a lot for a fairly average statue. If money spent is the scale, a good one would probably be around 300 million.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,945 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

No. If the lad damaged the statue, he can pay for it's repair. It's pretty easy not to damage these things. Most people have no problem.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 24,986 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

It was on during the lunch here. He was talking to an elderly woman in the rain, down a lane who had two dogs and was asking her about them. No way the lad breaking the statue trumps that sort of prime time entertainment … 👀❌

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Tanks be ta jaysus we do be a havin' a rail Dub loike yersel to keeps us up ya date with all the goin's on!

Bleedin' cluchies and their statute climbing!

Sure Dublin and its public monuments has been under siege from de culchies since 1014 when that redneck Brian Boru went up on the statue of Sitric Silkbeard!

Johnny Fortycoats must be spinning in his grave.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,952 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I assume they had a professional do it, they didn't go down to Halfords and pick up glue and tin of car body filler and have a crack at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

The thing I find odd is after a week he has not been identified in the mainstream or the alternative media. Not that I want to know who he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,437 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

90 million was the cost of renovating the entire building. The statue, big as it is, is just one very small part of the 90 million renovation project.

17,600 is the cost of repairing the damage to the statue.

Play silly games, win silly prizes.

• Advertisement

The CEO of the restoration project says the cost will be between €5,000 and €7,000. Also she and the RTE interviewer are calling it a sculpture, not a statue.

https://www.rte.ie/radio/radio1/clips/22297583/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭corner of hells

I have a solution, the Belgians should operate a “ you break it , you buy it policy “.

Alright he might have trouble getting it on a Ryanair flight but the statue would look great in his front garden.

Ireland is packed full of man children excusing their shîte behaviour as "having the craic".

• Registered Users Posts: 18,407 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Nearer to child than a 'man'.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,601 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

LOL, you got it! Another one is signposts, "mad bashdard" climes a signpost much to the appreciation of his mates!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Count Dracula

Don't get the outrage, how do we know he is Irish? He looks Belgian to me?

What a slow day for news, teenager dosses on dated Capitalist monument in the centre of Brussels. He does some damage. Who gives a fiddlers?

Who buys shares in Brussels anyways? I thought that place was free to live in?

Is there any audio? Does he speak Belgian?

"Ah lads, he was only having the craic"

"A pure gas lad"

"Acting the maggot"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Count Dracula

I am not sure what he was at.

He looked sober?

Defo not Irish, I would say some mentally challenged student from Genk who thinks the statue was an effigy of a Gargoyle raping a Wyvern?

If he was Irish he would blown that lump of cement into smithereens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,952 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

"Cement?"

It's not a statue from a garden centre.

Advertisement