Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NAS Student paramedic 2021

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35 ChattyChick

I'm hoping to start in Tallaght in January. Just waiting for all the paperwork to start up. Anyone else on here for a January start in the same place?

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭kahmen

Same for me just wating on all the paperwork to start coming out I'd say we will start sone a nuff whit it

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Skorpion

I just wonder, and i can't understand, why someone who's many years experience in a public body has to start from the bottom of pay scale 🤔. I haven't heard otherwise. Is it true or just rumors??

Post edited by Skorpion on

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭sudocremegg

It's true. Even existing ambulance service staff who progress to becoming a paramedic have to forfeit their payscale to the bottom until they qualify (3 years later). Then you will go back to your original salary point. But HR are a nightmare to deal with, and are extremely inefficient. You have to argue your case and play a long waiting game.

Regarding pay, and for reference. In the first 12 months of being a paramedic student, you will make about €34,000 gross.

In the second 12 months of the course as an intern, if you're willing to take up a few overtime shifts a month you can make up to €40-45k gross. But you have to put in the work, and it's a very tiresome job so OT isn't for everybody.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭heno86

Has anyone else had issues getting references from previous employers? I have two references but the third are saying they don’t fill in other companies forms, they just do verification of service letters?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 KIP22

Hi all, going for interview in next few weeks, can anyone advise me on interview questions and prep I need to do? All reply’s and advice much appreciated thanks 😊

Hi Geordie2105, I’m now doing the same as I’ve my interview within the next 2 weeks, can you give me any advice on what questions were asked and what prep I should be doing? Thanks 😊

Hi was wondering if you could advise me on interview q’s and prep? Also things to say for bonus points (if I’ve the time) 😂 have my interview within next 2 weeks, thanks 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Skorpion

I would like to ask these who are already student paramedics what does the schedual look like is it similar to the collage schedual is there chrismtas break etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 lilly246

Hi all, just wondering if anyone can tell me anything about what the fitness test is? Or if there even is one…….

Currently going off the NHS step test, but not really sure what I should be aiming for 🤔

any help is appreciated

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 Shannrnsss

Hi there is no fitness test :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Shannrnsss

Does anyone know when the next recruitment campaign will be? Are January and September 2023 student paramedic places filled from the campaign that was a couple of months ago, or will there be a new campaign in 2023 to apply for? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Lou788

Hi, I got an email that my medical will include the Chester step test. Does anyone have any information on what this is like?

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭sudocremegg

I haven't done the NAS one but I did one for a different service several years ago.

Basically you step up and down a step to the speed of a metronome, every 2 minutes the metronome gets faster. This lasts for approximately 10 minutes. You get a break and there might be a second round? Not sure.

Anyway, it looks at your heart rate. If your heart rate goes over a limit (220 minus your age) you fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 GravyD

Hi guys, I got placed on the panel at end of October this year. Does anybody know if it's likely that there are any spots on the January classes or is September a more realistic start date?

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭heno86

The January classes have been moved to Dec and the medicals are currently underway so I would assume all the classes have been filled for that group

• Registered Users Posts: 3 geordie2105

I am in the same boat. I couldn't be active on the panel until i got my truck license which i just did and now i'm active. Which recruitment campaign are you under. Our panel is NRS11765

• Registered Users Posts: 1 livinglife

College is 5 days a week and you will be tired, monday is 10 to 6 and Tuesday to Friday is 9 to 5 (you MIGHT get out a little early on Fridays) but to be honest you will be in college early studying and staying late practicing and studying, your life is effectively on hold for the year, you go in for 2 weeks induction then a week observer on ambulance, then is back to college for module 1 and 2 and exams at end of each module you have 4 lives you have practical exam (osce) and mcq so say you fail both that’s 2 lives gone, repeat and fail again 2 more lives and that’s you off the course, after module 2 your out again for a week observer then it’s back to college for module 3 and again exam osce and mcq, then it’s out for I think 5 weeks and back for phecc mcq and phecc osce of successful here your out for 15 weeks 12 weeks placement and 3 weeks driving, then back for roughly 5 weeks where you have short written answer exams and small in college courses to do, if successful at short written answer exams your out then as second person, there’s approx 4 weeks off in the whole year so January starters start whatever date and then your there until December in and out between placement and college, it’s an intense year guys, keep the head in the books, listen to what your being told, leave any form of attitude, cockiness etc. at home and try your hardest and you will do A1, the faculty want you to pass but they don’t want attitudes and dangerous medics on the road

• Registered Users Posts: 31 japunia

hello All,

So I am active on a current panel with a number of around 60ish, does anyone have any idea what will be next starting date? I currently have 2 jobs and my employers are constantly asking me when I will leave as they wish to train a new person for my position and I Just don't know what to tell them. I wish to plan my summer holidays is well but is very hard as HSE sends me only information to wait for an email and SMS with EOI. T. I have kids and wish to take them for long trips before I started college, now is the time to buy a holiday and last thing I want is to miss any part of the recruitment process.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 SpydS

Got an EOI email today for Tullamore. Start date Aug 28th.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 RE96olol

Does getting an EOI mean you have a college place for definate?

Nope. Still have to go through pre-employment clearances. That’s medical and reference vetting as far as I am aware.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 paris9999998

I got EOI today too and chose Ballinasloe. Delighted!

Fair play! Did you get a start date for that?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 minilad

For anyone who doesn't understand the EOI it does not mean you got the training place, it means that you expressed interest in the class so if there is 30 spaces going in a Tullamore class and you're 31st on the order of merit and the first 30 people on the order of merit system also expressed interest in Tullamore then they get the space in the class before you because they're higher on the order of merit.

It literally just means you have shown interest in attending training in Tullamore (or wherever) we won't find out until next week whether we actually got the place or not

• Registered Users Posts: 19 paris9999998

I get that, I’m looking forward to starting

• Registered Users Posts: 5 OnzyHD

Does anyone have any advice on accommodation if we get a training place?

Do we rent for the year or will we be on placement in different locations so play it by ear? I am very confused as to the schedule of the first year and what’s expected so any info is appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 crom1

Hi all, jusy wondering if anyone has or can send me a copy of the application form??

• Registered Users Posts: 3 crom1

Wouldn't suppose you have a copy of the application form? Forget what was on it and have an interview 🤣🤣

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 Shinebright33

Hey have u any info on the medical

Advertisement