Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freight rail in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭Economics101

071s can handle air or vacuum braked rolling stock. It's only wagons or coaches which are one type of brake or the other. Formerly most drivers would have driven both air and vacuum braked trains regularly, but the vacuum-braked freight trains are now comparatively rare, so I guess they have to take a refresher course.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭DoctorPan

It's 50/50 vac/air braked freight flows. Timber and Taras are airbraked along with the HOPs set, while the liners and rest of Pway fleet are still vac braked.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,672 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

IRISH Rail (IÉ) has issued a request for tenders for an eight-year framework agreement worth an estimated €120m to supply up to 400 wagons, including a base order for 200 wagons.

The base order includes up to 30 ore wagons. Bidders must have experience of designing and supplying infrastructure, intermodal, and ore wagons for operation at up to 120km/h.

IÉ says it is considering operating new wagons at higher speeds, which will require modern safety features including a twin-pipe air braking system, disc brakes, and latch/buckeye couplers with integral buffing capability.

The contract can be extended by two years at IE’s discretion.

Tendering is being conducted in a two-stage process: a prequalification process to establish that manufacturers have relevant experience to meet IÉ’s requirements, followed by an invitation to tender to those companies that prequalify during the first stage.

https://www.railjournal.com/freight/irish-rail-opens-tender-for-up-to-400-new-wagons/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Actually, the taras are vac braked along with all the container flats. The spoil wagons are vac braked too.

The 60ft timber and Pway 60ft flats for the CWR train are air braked along with the container pocket wagons and HOBs.

Saw some comments from XPO managment saying they are hoping to expand the XPO service this year. Nothing specific but assume its frequancy.

Hopefully it happens but I don't think the x2 weekly services currently are carrying anywhere new total capacity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭DumbBrunette

Not sure if this was already known, but IE have announced that they're planning a new rail freight hub in Castlebar to serve multinational manufacturers in the West (not Ballina, which would be an obvious choice).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭bigroad

Looks like they will reopen the Rosslare to Waterford line.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Salmon Leap

could someone post the approx times the Tara mines trains depart Tara daily?

Thanks in advance.

This will deal a major blow to IE

RTE news : News of Tara Mines closure a massive shock, say workers

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭CreadanLady

And meanwhile they are cutting up fine wagons that were costing them nothing? Container flats, cement bogies, keg wagons, bulks, all built by CIT in Inchicore now chopped up when they could have been refurbished.

The MFV Creadan Lady is a mussel dredger from Dunmore East.

• Advertisement

The only thing that was keeping the rest of the freight operation afloat.

IE freight is finished if this goes.

but I suspect that would suit IE who really don't want to be at freight. They only want Dub-Cork and Dublin suburban network, and to hell with the rest if they had their way.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,320 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I would suspect that anyone within the ranks of IÉ is not taking this news lightly when it was reported through the news wires last night.

I think the delivery contract for Tara Mines is an important income generator for IÉ.

They do not want to see that money instantly fall through the cracks as the contract with them has dried up temporarily. They want to see it to continue coming in for the foreseeable future.

IE have wanted to get rid of freight for years, decades even. This just strengthens their business case to wind up that side of the business. They are probably salivating at the thoughts of scraping the 071s and freight 201s, to go the same way as the markiii3s

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭DoctorPan

The reactions of some here beggers believe. Do you really think Irish Rail wants to get rid of rail freight, weeks after announcing a new rail frieght terminal, days after announcing a new customer to the rail freight network and the publication of a detailed long term plan to build up the rail freight industry?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,834 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Cement and kegs are never coming back. Future added flows will be ore and containers, nothing else.

As for the Tara suspension, they're probably going to be happy to get the drivers back for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭andrewfaulk

not to be pedantic but Irish rail didn’t welcome a new customer, their customer(XPO) did.. It makes no impact on IE and they get paid regardless of whether the train is full or empty

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

You say "reactions" but it's just one poster really.

Only thing keeping rail freight afloat?

Hardly, it’s IEs second biggest flow sure, but it is going to end some time when the ore body is mined out.. producing a commodity product, the mine is at the mercy of the markets and has had shut downs in the past for similar reasons.. I would imagine we could well see it back in a year or two if there is a big change in market conditions..

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭91wx763

Yes, who had multiple personality disorder on here years ago but who has stayed away for ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,320 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Siptu are beginning their round of intensive negotiations with Boliden on Monday.

The optics for these talks look very grim though.

Boliden have said the temporary closure of the plant could last for more than 4 weeks if their financial situation doesn't improve really soon.

I would believe that these talks all hinges on the viability of the worldwide zinc market having some form of stability while it's suffering under the pressure of the cost of living crisis.

If they fail to make an agreement with this talks; it could be curtains for the mine as a whole.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

I don't think anyone ever suggested that the closure could last as little as 4 weeks, just that they'll be closing over the next 4 weeks. The actual closure will be months even in the best case scenario.

Not sure what you mean by the SIPTU talks being so important for the mine's future though. The closure is already assured, and it's the price of energy and zinc that will dictate when the mine will reopen.

In a piece of good news for a change...

7CPWs have been restored for service and will be transferred Limerick to NW on Wednesday 9th August in the usual wagon transfer path(07:55 ex Limerick)

7 CPWs from NW will be transferred to Limerick to take their place in the works to be restored for service, likely running ex Dublin in the down liner path on Saturday 12th August

https://www.businesspost.ie/article/dublin-port-and-irish-rail-in-stand-off-over-road-building-plans/

Behind a paywall.

Dublin Port and Irish Rail in stand-off over road-building plans

Train operator’s fears dismissed by engineers after claims new roads would block future freight access to docks

Irish Rail has clashed with Dublin Port over plans to build new roads to increase capacity which the rail operator claims would “permanently” cut off its access to the trading port.

The port operator lodged plans last year to construct several new roads and increase capacity for heavy goods vehicles to provide a more direct route in and out of Dublin Port.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭ArcadiaJunction

Just a reminder ABSOLUTELY NOTHING has happened on the Foynes Branch. Have we been sucker punched yet again?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭Economics101

Not true. A lot of clearance has been happening and some other civil engineering work as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Drifter100

You are not correct here.

Spend a couple of minutes searching on You Tube and you will see what is happening. Vegetation clearance, compounds installed, bridge being refurbished etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

This is typical.

We have the CEO of Dublin Port telling us about their vision of the Port having a sustainable future and then on the other hand, they won't work Irish rail about getting a Proper rail access into the port and are instead committing to HGV's

I think a huge part of the issue is the RO-RO nature of the bulk of the freight that comes into the country. Like I think RO-RO was nearly double that of LO-LO in 2022. There is rolling stock out there that can accommodate RO-RO trailers on freight trains.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,990 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

there is but some of the tunnels across the network prevent the use of such rolling stock i believe. Bridges as well but they could be replaced or modified if the need for that was to arise.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

I'd say its a lot more than "some"... And here in lies the dilema.

The height loading is restrictive. Given the issues and the work involved in fix them, its fairly obvious that it would be cheaper just to build new rail.

But no government is gonna go for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭dowlingm

To be fair IE did manage to get 8’6 on flats and 9’6 on CPW through the PPT. If the will and the business are there, there is precedent to do a certain amount of works to facilitate. Just maybe not as much as rail freight fans might like.

Advertisement